IGNORED

'08 K1200GT Stalling [Not the usual issue]

pbbeck

My GT stalled yesterday in the middle of traffic. Ironically, I was riding home from my 12k service at the local dealer. Now i am intimately familiar with the high-idle/bucking bike/airbox problems. My bike's airbox was updated long ago and has performed nearly flawlessly since, except for the occasional stall.

The bike stalled when pulling in the clutch I slowed to roll through an intersection. When this has happened in the past, I could always thumb the starter and the bike would restart instantly. This time, I could not restart the bike. Every time I pushed the starter, it would turn once... then nothing. Pushing again, it would turn once... then nothing. I keyed off the ignition to "reboot" the bike, and still the starter would only crank once. I was able to start the bike by holding the throttle open and thumbing the starter.

I went back to the dealer, who at first suspected the battery. The battery checked out okay. There was a fault thrown ("Lost communication with CANBUS), so at least I was not imaging this.

Any thoughts?

I'm wondering how they "checked the battery" as that sure does sound like it a battery derived issue potentially.

Otherwise, perhaps a loose connection somewhere from their performing maintenance.

No software updates performed? Perhaps a comm issue with a software glitch similar to what my K13 had.

Back at the dealer, the bike started up over and over for them, so they began to suspect something other than the battery right way. They told me the charge on the battery seemed fine. Earlier in the day at the 12k, they didn't perform any software updates because the bike was up-to-date. By the time I made it back to their shop after my stall, it was 4:30. There wasn't time to flash the software that day. They r & r-ed the battery under warranty just in case, and I will keep my fingers crossed. If it happens again, I'll be back to have the software flashed.

At the very least, I'm glad I got the fault code logged so if this turns out to be an ongoing problem, I have it on record.

Calvin  (no socks)

Best bet is a workshop induced fault. I see it happen in cars all the time. On the product line I work on we have counters that are displayed in a details page on the DTC data. On the very newest vehicles I can tell which day the dtc was first seen. Unusual problem, first time, just in shop,....(bonus you have a code)...We see communication problems all the time. Some are interference generated and some come from slow to power up circuits...from low battery threshold voltage to weak/poor contact/voltage drop in a relay. Keep us posted.

Archived