IGNORED

F650 plugged muffler

whitney

Greetings all. I'm new to this forum, and just purchased an 04 Dakar.

I'm in the process of cleaning the bike right up, de-greasing, topping everything up etc. while it's still too cold to ride here in BC (for most people anyway). When I bought the bike about one month ago, I took it for a ride, however there was lots of ice and snow. It ran fine from what I could tell, but I did notice the left (first) muffler hole was plugged. I asked the PO about this and he said 'oh that's the baffle'. Being green, I took his word for it.

When I go the bike home, I gave it a quick wash and noticed the 'baffle' is actually debris (gummy mud etc.). I tried to pick it out, but when I started the bike today (first time since riding it) it was smoking excessively - my guess, the plug.

Please excuse my ignorance (fairly new to bikes in general), but does anyone know how to clear this? Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

as the other posted stated, the actual muffler is on the right side of thte bike.

The cat converter is on the left side, and there is a crossover pipe under the fender.

The small hole is there to allow moisture to escape until the exhaust warms up.

Nothing to worry about. And, BTW not a good idea to try and remove the "baffle" as I recall things break if you try to pull it out.

Enjoy the ride,

And most important..... READ the manual about filling/checking the oil level. You can do major damage to the engine and actually break the oil tank if the oil level is too high. You must check the oil with the bike HOT!

Bruce/Richard -

Thanks for the replies.

The issue is in fact the left pipe when sitting on the bike (small hole/catalytic converter). Thanks for the correction :).

I have no idea what is plugging it. When I did the 'quick wash' it was dirt that was flush to the outside of the small hole. Some of this came out. When I fired her up and saw the smoking (likely moisture/vapor as pointed out), that's when I realized the hole was still plugged ('hopefully' that's my 'only' problem). Last night I proceeded to clear out the hole with a looped bit of wire. The material is a brown waxy/gummy material. I do know the PO stored the bike outside under a tarp awning open on either end, so my thoughts are dirt/sap/debris made its way in there - it's my only explanation.

It comes out in very small bits - I've forced the wire in about 2-3" but really can't tell if I've got it all. I'm hesitant to fire up the bike again for fear of doing damage without knowing the hole is completely clear. I read a post from a guy who modded this pipe by using a hole-hog bit (1") and drilled this portion out, but I really don't want to go down that road.

Thanks again for any ideas. I was trying to see if I could come at it from the other end, or by taking the unit off, but it doesn't look possible.....I'm scratching my head here :). If it is to just let moisture out until the bike is warm it should be free and clear though, correct?

Mike

Hey Mike:

I worked as a mechanic at a BMW dealer in London for a while, so I know a bit about the F650 bikes.

Just don't mess with it....it is not a problem. Very little moisture/steam escapes from the hole anyhow. Might be a bit of carbon, mud and some moisture, but who knows? Once you take the bike out for a good ride and get it fully up to temp. there will be no problem. If you keep poking around in the hole, you may damage the cat. converter. Just leave well enough alone and enjoy the bike.

Heck, weather says 11C in Van. today, go for a ride!!

Hey Bruce! Thanks for the note. Sounds like good advice. I'm likely worrying about nothing as you say. Yep -warm here, no insurance yet. I may just take if for a burn in the back country...lots of back roads this way.

Cheers,

Mike

Archived