IGNORED

Wyoming Road advice

BMWGreenRT

Going to be in Wyoming in early June and I am looking for the nicest ride from Jackson,Wy to Steamboat Springs,Co.

The map shows what appears to be 2 different scenic ways.

1- Rte 89n/191n up to Rte 26/287 and then south through Wind River Indian Res. to Rawlins,Wy onto Rte 80e, then over to Rte 130s to 125s to 14 into Steamboat Springs.

2-Rte 89s to 30se to 80e to Green River, then 530s thru Fleming Gorge nat'l Rec. to Manila,Ut, then 44s to 191s to Vernal,ut/Rte 40e to Steamboat.

Both seem about the same mileage and time (about an hour difference)

Has anyone traveled these routes and can recommend the better of the 2, or even something nicer?

Thanks in advance,

Long Day, but fun!!!

If your looking for the fastest route...

You can always change it to 191, 80, 789 and 40.

Your first route through Wind River Reservation takes you on Hway 287 until you get to 220. At that junction (called Muddy Gap) go north on 220 about 5 to 8 miles. You will come to the Sun Ranch, operated by the Church of Jesus Christ. They host a museum and other things. The interesting aspect is that every wagon train in the 1800's that ever headed west to CA, OR, UT, or WA went right past this ranch. You can still see the old trail right there and see ruts made by the wagon train. For history buffs, it is fascinating.

The nicest route? How long ya got?

The Nicest Route!

If you head west over Teton Pass, that will get you a nice technical ride to start out, and then drop you onto some very nice sweepers on 31.

The ride south from Swan Valley on 89 is tame, but pastoral and scenic. You can take 30 and catch Fossil Butte NM, and the first JC Penny in Kemmerer (nice museum on the town "square" which is really a triangle). Work your way to Evanston, WY.

However, if you prefer good riding, continue on 89 to catch a decent section north of Montpelier. Take US-89 all the way into Logan, UT. Logan canyon, from Garden City into Logan is a hot ride (if you are willing to pass). Then swing south

WARNING: I have not been on the stretch from Logan to Hyrum and 101 to 39. I am trying to get you to UT-39 which is a very popular hot ride, Monte Cristo Pass. But I don't know this 101. It was a surprise when google routed that way. So if you want to do this I'll have to find you some local info on it. I think I know a knowledgeable contact for that area.

Anyway, picking back up with the main idea, South to Hyrum and 101 to 39. Over 39, Monte Cristo Pass to Woodruff, and then south to Evanston. Continue south on 150, which is the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway, and another hot section. At Kamas turn east over UT-35, Wolf Creek Pass, you guessed it, more hooning.

From Duschene to Vernal is tame on US-40. At Vernal, I was going to route you an up and back to Manila, well worth it! But Google surprised me again by suggesting getting to Steamboat via WY-318

WARNING: I've never heard of WY-318, but it looks good. If you want to go that way I'll try get some local info for you ahead of time.

If you prefer to come back to Vernal and take US-40 you will have a scenic but not exciting ride into Steamboat.

This 318 sounds like it might be interesting :-)

Jim

But Google surprised me again by suggesting getting to Steamboat via WY-318

WARNING: I've never heard of WY-318, but it looks good. If you want to go that way I'll try get some local info for you ahead of time.

If you prefer to come back to Vernal and take US-40 you will have a scenic but not exciting ride into Steamboat.

This 318 sounds like it might be interesting :-)

Jim

But Google surprised me again by suggesting getting to Steamboat via WY-318

I guess it's actually Browns Park Rd Co RD-70 in WY, St Rte 1364 in UT and CO-318 in CO. Looking at Google Earth, the surface seems to be graded dirt, but it's hard to tell for sure.

I would say to make some phone calls to the respective highway departments, unless you are on a GS or the like.

I might try to go out and take a look ahead of your trip on Sharon's (Bullett) GS. I'm interested in that area.

I would say to make some phone calls to the respective highway departments, unless you are on a GS or the like.

Definitely don't want the hard pack, I am on an RT and like the pavement.

Definitely don't want the hard pack, I am on an RT and like the pavement.

The safe bet is to take US-40. It's scenic near Vernal. If you don't come down through Manila, it is worth an up and back, time allowing. Coming down that way is not a bad option at all.

Archived