IGNORED

Alaska and beyond

Lineareagle

I am in the beginning stages of planning my adventure for this summer.

Basically: Leaving home about May 26th -

Toronto to Alaska via north shore Lake Superior

Glacier

Golden

Banff

Jasper

Watson Lake

Whitehorse

Tok

Fairbanks

Prudhoe

Anchorage

Tok

Dawson hopefully for the D2D

Then southbound

Haines

ferry to Prince Rupert

Vancouver

Victoria

Bamfield

Victoria

Port Angeles here about July 10th

and now it gets a bit fuzzy

I want to travel as much of the Rockies as possible on the best roads, I am on a GSA so will be looking at gravel and dirt as well, for about a month after I cross into the states eventually I would like to get down to central Mexico then back up thru Texas across to Arkansas, TN, NC up the Appalachians to 'yawn' Toronto.

Looking at 2 1/2 to 3 months, or more. As much camping as possible.

So to you folks out there.

"If you have any 'must sees, must rides' you know about please pass them along."

In the past I have had some great riding because you all steered me in the right direction.

Oh and I am not interested at all in Yellowstone, been there.

Thanks in advance.

I hate you (in jest my friend). I can only dream of a trip like that. Please take a lot of pics so we can live vicariously through you!

From Watson Lake there is a really neat dirt road that heads north.

Robert Campbell Highway to Ross River. We didn't make it cause of the weather. They have some kinda motel thingy in Ross River.

Hatcher Pass in AK looked great, we didn't have time.

I'll have more later.

Denali Highway....Bisects the paved Highways of AK east to west...we did not have time.

Don't forget Hatcher Pass....no time either.

The McCarthy Road to the Kennecott Mine is also very special. We did this and it was very cool. Great little Hotel and restaurant in Chitina. I would like to stay there when we go back.

Dempster and the Dalton

the Denali Highway is nice. there is a restaurant about half-way run by two sisters that has home made hugh blueberry muffins and pies. also, the top of the world highway is interesting.

Your route is bringing back so many memories.

Denali Highway is gravel for most of its length, but pretty smooth when dry. Riding East to West to catch sight of Denali is a great idea, but didn't much matter in my case because the mountain was completely obscured by heavy cloud cover. There is a restaurant/gas station at the eastern end of the Denali that serves a nice lunch on the deck if you are lucky enough to have a sunny day.

Three years ago the Tok to Anchorage highway was all but closed due to earthquate-related road repairs. Given the climate, road conditions can change very quickly. If you are packing a laptop, the Alaska Road Traveler Information Service is an important resource.

Dawson Peaks Resort is just south of Teslin (Km. 1232 Alaska Highway) and has both campsites and cabins. Very nice people, excellent food (especially deserts). In 2006, the guy who runs the place apologized for having WiFi only at the lodge, but said he planned to add repeaters to cover the entire campground.

If you get tired of camping, consider hostels, which are cheap even in high season (less than $20/night). Once you find one, it leads to another, which leads to another, etc. The hostel in Homer was the only one that didn't have WiFi. I especially enjoyed the hospitality at 26 Street International Hostel in Anchorage. Before settling down, the owners, Sebastian & Marcella, rode bicycles from Tierra del Fuego to the Arctic Circle. Alaska Leathers, and a 2-story REI are within walking distance. Sebastian insisted that I park the bike in their yard, behind a wooden fence.

Maybe because I had perfect weather, the ride from Haines Junction to Haines was one of the most spectacular I have ever had anywhere -- it took me five hours to ride 155 miles because I kept stopping for the views.

Be warned that you won't have access to your bike in the cargo hold of a ferry unless it's in port, so remove what you think you will need (especially sleeping pad, unless you plan to book a room) before it departs Haines.

Good luck!

Thanks guys.

I will go into plan mode again this week end and see how your ideas fit together.

Of course everything is malleable once you are on the road.

"...will I still need to go?" Well yes, and post more pics for us :lurk: ers.

On a more modest suggestion - if schedule allows and you're willing, I'd like to ride along for a day on the first part of your trip as you exit the province. It sounds like you've got a great adventure ahead of you.

Archived