IGNORED

Another BRP adventure

Kenny Haynes

The first time I rode the full length of the blue ridge parkway several years ago, the vision of those involved in its creation became vividly apparent. What a terrific national treasure. There are many others across the country I hope to ride as well, but I am always ready for more of the BRP. Last week end, I was able to convince my old friend Greg along with Jim Williams to get the requisite hall passes for a little parkway ride. Jim had business in Asheville Friday evening, so Greg and I planned for an early breakfast Saturday prior to jumping on the parkway at Cherokee and meeting Jim along the way. We had high hopes that Itchybro could meet us, but he had other bidness to tend to, and so we were three.

We hit the Cracker Barrel in Maryville, then headed over 441 to pick up the parkway.

36724117-L.jpg

We stopped at Pisgah Inn to meet up with Jim and found this, which I’m not sure I would have wanted to wrestle around some of the curves up there.

36975732-L.jpg

The plan from there was to hit Mt. Mitchell for the view and some lunch, then on to Doughton Park to spend the night. The weather was terrific, affording some nice views from the highest point in the eastern u.s.

Craggy Gardens area

36723208-L.jpg

From Mt.Mitchell

36723222-L.jpg

36723234-L.jpg

36723226-L.jpg

On the tower.

36723245-L.jpg

Shortly after leaving Mt. Mitchell, we discovered that the rangers are not above hiding in the woods to catch someone crossing the double yellow to get around someone. Nuff said. Had that 75$ set aside for Baker's Christmas present, but oh well...

If you’ve never stayed at Doughton Park, do it. There are two wings of rooms, separated by a large patio area that includes an outdoor fireplace stocked with wood. It’s a great place to hang out and tell lies and have a cocktail. It just happened to be a full moon Saturday, and we arrived to see this.

36975681-L.jpg

Next morning we had breakfast at the little restaurant there, and headed north toward Virginia. It’s really distracting riding a road that offers so much to see, and so many great curves to experience.

Fun ahead

36975699-L.jpg

We headed up to Peaks of Otter for lunch, then turned around to head back to Rocky Knob where we had a cabin for the night.

Peaks

36975695-L.jpg

The cabins at Rocky Knob were built to house ccc crews who built the parkway back in the 30’s, and are a terrific and somewhat spartan place to stay. With the cool mountain air coming through the open windows, we slept like babies. Babies snore like freight trains and wet the bed, right?

36723351-L.jpg

36723315-L.jpg

Maybe this helped

36975706-L.jpg

Before we turned in though, we ran up to Rocky Knob to catch the sunset.

36723260-L.jpg

36724229-L.jpg

36723288-L.jpg

Monday we were off to breakfast at Mabry Mill.

36724290-L.jpg

Greg likes a lot of these in his coffee

36723174-L.jpg

Hard to beat morning light for photos.

36723369-L.jpg

36975717-L.jpg

We decided to leave the parkway on our way back to cut across Roan Mountain over to Johnson City. This mountain is known for its Rhododendron gardens, and the road up it from the NC side is well worth the ride.

36725318-L.jpg

36725331-L.jpg

Another terrific BRP ride. Many thanks to Jim and Greg for taking 3 days out of their busy schedules to come along. We saw several rt’s and gs’s along the way, and probably passed Eckhard on his ride down from Canada. Wish we could have met. The rest of our photos can be viewed here: brp 2005

Wow, great pictures, and a good tale!

I'm riding the BRP for the first time in about ten days. You've got me hopping around on one foot and then the other!

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Now about the others. Sounds like what you are trying to say is that I'm a cheap southern redneck hoonin' bastard, right?...Yea, I guess I'm ok with that. grin.gif

Wish you guys could have been with us.

Ok, I have a bone to pick with you...you Mr Haynes you! I make the point of coming to the tea room the last time I rode near K-town. We drink smoothies, bond and share the BMWST.com love. We ride to Ridesmart together. We see some rightous waterfallage. We break bread over some great BBQ. And THIS is the thanks I get!

You were 15 MINUTES from my house man! 15 FARKIN MINUTES! I would have dropped EVERTHING to ride up to the BRP and hang out with you guys for a bit, but NOOOOOOO! I see how I rate!!! eek.gifdopeslap.gifconfused.gif

Wheres the BMWST.com love man!? frown.gif

Shawn

Oh man, sorry I really didn't realize you were that close to where we were. We would have loved to see you guys and to check out the new casa de Goulding, plus chase that S on the parkway a little. For some reason I thought Richmond was further away. confused.gif Now we know, so we'll call for reservations next trip. grin.gif Wish you were going to make it to EP, we'll miss you guys.(Hi Rainy)

Oh man, sorry I really didn't realize you were that close to where we were......I thought Richmond was further away. confused.gif

Ok, for the last time...we are in LYNCHBURG! grin.gif We are about 30 minutes from the peaks of Otter. Next time my friend....

Now we know, so we'll call for reservations next trip. grin.gif Wish you were going to make it to EP, we'll miss you guys.(Hi Rainy)

You guys are always welcome here! As for EP, we are working on it. Everything is very tentative right now though. We shall see.....

Shawn

Ken:

Yes it wopuld have been fun to meet up and share stories. Maybe in a couple of years. There is so much to see that I will be going back. In the meantime, safe riding.

Wow, great pictures, and a good tale!

I'm riding the BRP for the first time in about ten days. You've got me hopping around on one foot and then the other!

I'll be there for my second time on Tuesday/Wednesday!

Lynchburg, now I've got it, plus it's right there in your avatar...Some of us aren't too bright. dopeslap.gif

Eh, its all good! grin.gif The really wierd part of this is that Rainy and I were up on the parkway between 501 and Rt 60 on Saturday morning. We headed up there about 9 AM and were back by 10:30 or so. She just wanted a chance to practice some Ridesmart techniques. It was raining, drizzling, and very chilly. If the road would have been straight, I would have felt like I was back in MI!

Hey Mark F, I would gladly come ride with you but alas I have no time off to do so. If your looking for a neat little bypass, get off at Rt 60 and take it over the Buena Vista. Once in BV take the 501 back south towards the parkway. It will probably take you all of 20 minutes to do this but its a great little route. It takes you over the James river and passed a lot of great scenery. Not to mention, that section of the 501 really gets twisty! Have fun!

Shawn

The really wierd part of this is that Rainy and I were up on the parkway between 501 and Rt 60 on Saturday morning.

I meant Sunday! Dangit, I'm getting old....CRS kicked in *sigh*. Sorry about that. Saturday I was knee deep in a yard revitalization project. Maybe I was trying to block that experience out of my head. confused.gif

Shawn

Kenny,

I really enjoyed the pix and ride report. I've never ridden the BRP and it's on my TD list for someday. It looks like my old Harley (1996 RK) would be perfect for this one; it really doesn't like to cross the double yellow lines much and it's easy to scrape stuff going slowly so the illusion of speed is maintained.

Thanks for posting.

Dave

Archived