IGNORED

Breather on a 1974 R75/6

REVz

Had intermittent smoke coming out of the right jug last summer, always on first start-up....not consistent in any other way, neither temperature, duration of last ride, etc...

Also a bit of oil leaking from right jug. Replacing all gaskets and o-rings from the engine wall out. Then noticed that the edge of the breather looked like it had oil on it. This model, (very important pre-1980 breather) dumps from the breather into the right jug.

Spark plug looked clean, and otherwise seems to be tuned-up properly. I will do tune-up again at end of re-assemble.

Is it normal for that breather to bring oil to right jug? For ~$5.00 I am going to replace breather...

Thoughts?

How many miles on the bike?

Oil at breather is normal, but excessive oil is another thing. Indication can be obtained by looking in intake tube and carb right side. If enough, you will introduce enough oil to foul carb and eventually plug. Ring wear and cylinder taper (worn bore) can combine to create excessive crankcase pressure (blow-by) which dumps into intake right side.

Have you done comp check and leak down on this bike?

Extending tube has little effect on a cure. I have heard of people increasing tube size and/or modifying the disc type breather with that of reed type on later models, but don't chase your tail here.

Do the homework (checks). Chances are you have some top end work to do.

These are easy to work on, and even if you can't do the machining and assembly work yourself, it can be done for a reasonable price.

Good luck

MB>

Archived