IGNORED

To trade or not to trade?

APDDave

Alright, here is my question. I currently have a 2006 f650gs that I really love. It started out as a second bike to teach my son to ride on as I did not want him to wreck my 1150rt. After he went away to college, I started rideing the 650 more myself and really liked it for just running around the house on short trips. I still use my 1150rt for the long trips. I find myself wanting just a little bit more power when I am on the 650 and went and test rode the 800gs. I loved the bike and the extra power and think it would be the perfect bike to upgrade from the 650 that I have. The only question is that the older 650 singles seem to be bulletproof and I have not had any problems with it in over 15,000 miles. I keep reading about all of the issues and problems with the new 800gs and am not sure if I would be making a mistake? What do you think?

Dave

Not sure if advice would help much because since your current bike is running well it pretty much comes down to a personal value judgement as to whether the extra power is worth the price.

But regarding the 800GS, there do appear to be some leftover teething problems to deal with. If you don't have the stomach for this (everyone's tolerance is different) then it might not be a bad idea to wait BMW gets it all worked out... unfortunately in most cases this seems to be about 2-3 model years after introduction...

Oh boy, I have gone over this in my mind time after time. I have a 2006 F650GS. What I like about the new twin 650?

Tubeless tires; a coolant temp gauge; 20 more ponys; six speeds.

What I don't like: Can-bus; teething issues that are still dogging them. Ask Phil as he is having those issues right now. (800/650 and K1300)

My 650 single has been great; smooth and trouble free, and that is what is holding me up. Each year I evaluate and when the twins get bone reliable and my single gets some more miles on her I will re-up, but not for another year, and if BMW can't get their act together on the twins, I will look elsewhere.(can you read Wee-strom or V-strom)

Go for it.....with the 2011 model year.

Check my thread in the K bike section for the issues. In spite of these issues, I do anticipate them being resolved soon am the bike will then be a true winner in my book.

Feel free to ask away any specifics you want.

In spite of these issues, I do anticipate them being resolved soon am the bike will then be a true winner in my book.

I think BMW is turning you bipolar... :grin:

In spite of these issues, I do anticipate them being resolved soon am the bike will then be a true winner in my book.

I think BMW is turning you bipolar... :grin:

they gave me something and told me to smoke it. I did. :)

One must temper my fury with the fact that I have 3 bikes I'm dealing with.

NOt.

You don't need to, at least right now.

Wait.

They won't stop making motorcycles and this seems more a passing fancy than a major jones.

If you feel this was next fall, decide what you really want to change and then see what's out there.

Best wishes.

Archived