IGNORED

How do you keep your GS side cases from flying away?

the_moviegoer

Well, I knew this was a possibility, but I'd hoped it wasn't as common as the topcase problem. We rode over some bumps on a busy highway (295 through Washington, DC), and my bride starts whacking me, pointing backward. In the mirror, I see the right side case sliding down the road. crazy.gif There was way too much high speed traffic to stop (and no shoulder), so we exited and rode side roads until we found it. Luckily, noone smashed it (it was between two lanes).

My fearless bride was off the bike, up the embankment, and back with the case by the time I got the bike on the centerstand. The case was scratched (especially the silvery part), but the case was intact, and it mounted fine. I realized, while mounting it, that I had not locked it; however, the handle was down the whole time. Do you guys know if locking the lock makes a difference? Are there other things I should know about to keep these mothers on the bike?

I was thinking about $1,000 Jesse bags the rest of the day. frown.gif

I'm with RC on this one. My opinion is that the BMW sidecases do not fall off unless the mushroom bolts are improperly adjusted or loose. I have over 27,000 miles on my 12GS now, with probably 25,000 with the side cases on and they have been fine even over really bad bumpy stuff.

I'm with RC on this one. My opinion is that the BMW sidecases do not fall off unless the mushroom bolts are improperly adjusted or loose. I have over 27,000 miles on my 12GS now, with probably 25,000 with the side cases on and they have been fine even over really bad bumpy stuff.

Exactly right. I've been through some very rough parts of Mexico, with the side cases expaned and fully loaded. If the mushrooms are adjusted and if you haven't damaged them in a fall, they are not coming off.

Archived