IGNORED

How many Airheads in the house?

Mighty Manfred

Mighty Manfred

Nice looking flying brick. Good thing your duck is wearying a helmet - sounds like a valuable asset.

Your location is illogical. Should be: USA. Wyoming. Casper

Mighty Manfred

johnlt - Your beautiful R80RT reminds me of my bike, until I wrecked it a couple months ago.

Indeed - got to watch out for stuff our kids "borrow" :-)

We could argue about what beer is best, but since my tour in West Germany, I've found it not worth debating about American beer :-)

West Germany hasn't existed for over 20 years. :dopeslap:

My rule: "A good beer doesn't need propaganda." Craft beers rock!

Was this a hijack? Sorry.

There is beer and their is bier. Learning the lessons of the Swiss Army knife, not the Sliss ahmy knives mad in the orient, the hybrids,music, and being anomnivour; there is nothing that says we can't have and enjoy all of the above. The closest I've been to Germany was the two raft mates, of the raft:110808_12591Eulenspiegel-1.jpg, powered by an airhead (me) and them:Image68je.jpgLOL Still German powered, tho!

Mighty Manfred
We could argue about what beer is best, but since my tour in West Germany, I've found it not worth debating about American beer :-)

When I was stationed there, it was West Germany.

The beer is still good, at least during my last visit - to Germany - in 2005.

It is only a good carb can support a Bud. LOL still can get it to display online....willl keep trying

Or fill the can with gas from the petcock leak!

When I was stationed there, it was West Germany.

The beer is still good, at least during my last visit - to Germany - in 2005.

Good to know as I plan on going next year for the first time. Oktoberfest, motorcycles and seeing where my dad was stationed in the 60's.

• 8 months later...

Ok, I am now the proud owner of a 1985 R80. I know nothing when it comes to restoring bikes, but i just love it, so have to go there.

Here she is, needing a bit of TLC, but happy.

th_IMG_4572.jpg

Mighty Manfred

Philbie,

You will love it! Suspension improvements are a good investment (I have Progressive on both ends - opinions are many). The mono-shock R80 handles very good and loves twisty roads. It will run at 80 mph all day long, but you will want to keep her off the slabs and enjoy the lesser roads with more character.

Good help here and http://boxerworks.com/forum2/

Philbie,

You will love it! Suspension improvements are a good investment (I have Progressive on both ends - opinions are many). The mono-shock R80 handles very good and loves twisty roads. It will run at 80 mph all day long, but you will want to keep her off the slabs and enjoy the lesser roads with more character.

Good help here and http://boxerworks.com/forum2/

thanks for the info, I'm enjoying it in it's current state. So much so, i don't feel like pulling it to pieces right now, so might just make some minor cosmetic fixes and ride it around for a few years first. I am amazed just how comfortable it is, Whilst it doesn't quite compare to my 2006 R1200RT, it's a bloody good bike for it's vintage and still heaps of fun.

thanks for the link, very interesting site! and will come in handy for future reference.

By fortune, I managed to pick up a mint condition owners manual, service book and warranty booklets to add to the mix. they belonged to a collector, and are like new.

cheers,

Phil

• 1 month later...
Mighty Manfred

I've been mostly a Yamaha guy since 1969. My '87 R80RT is my first beemer and it's the best handling, most comfortable, most enjoyable bike I've ever ridden.

• 4 weeks later...
Just for the record, you're at 52 or so. :thumbsup:

Add two more, a Bumblebee (bzzzzz) and a turquoise R100R with a big BOXER decal across the tank. One day I'll get some photos.

Bought new in '86, restored in '11:

Absolutely stunning. Definitely a deviation from the standard colors and it looks great!

Thank you. When I bought the bike in '86, I wanted a proper black one. However, the dealer offered me $200 off to take Azore Blue, so I bought it. When it came time to repaint it, largely because the tank needed a little welding around the petcocks, I thought for sure I would just paint it black. But the blue had grown on me over the years, so we went for the two tone.

It still runs like a champ, all 39 horsepower of it. I've also had an R1150RT, an R1100S, and an S1000RR - they have all gone, but the R65 looks like it will be with me for a long time.

Bought new in '86, restored in '11:

Absolutely stunning. Definitely a deviation from the standard colors and it looks great!

I thought for sure I would just paint it black. But the blue had grown on me over the years, so we went for the two tone.

I think it's awesome but you realize that, in the eyes of the purists, you have committed sacrilege.....

"It still runs like a champ, all 39 horsepower of it"

Hey, don't underrate your bike. It has 48 horsepower! Beautiful job! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

This is the winter for my little bare 1975 R90/6 with the small fuel tank & low compression gaskets for annual attention & general rebuild. Bought it new & is still original as much as possible. Runs like a steam engine.

It seemed so big after the '69 Honda 350!

I didn't know airheads went here under Non R bikes.....

Mighty Manfred

When I first found this forum, I asked why no airheads. And I was pointed to this non-R bike sub-forum. My airhead IS and R bike - but since it ain't one of the newer models, we get relegated to this non-R bike place. But at least it's a place!

• 2 months later...

I loves me airheads.

Ones past.

R75/5

BMWR75028small.jpg

R90/6

R902small.jpg

R80 RT

P4240007-1.jpg

current one 84 R100RS

P9250005.jpg

I never seem to grow tired of them

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been without an airhead since 1971 when I bought my R60/5. Still have it along with a '66 R27, '69 R60/2, '76 R75/6, and an '82 R100. The 75/6 is the cover story of the current edition of Classic BMW Motorrader magazine.

Uh, besides those listed in my signature below, I've had about 6-7 other airheads that I bought as basket cases, or wrecks and either parted out or rebuilt. And a R100S, and a R100RT...

My R80ST's were the best- just too small for me...

Looking for my next one now..

Like to find an R100RS 78 to 85 in good cosmetic shape, but sour motor, for a project. (I know, that's usually backward from what ya find).. Back in 78 opted for an 80/7 instead. Loved that bike, but always wanted the RS.

;)

MB>

Mighty Manfred
New member here and an Airhead Owner for 22yrs.

Guess what I've got!!

Boy - that's a tough one! What Airhead would a fella who goes by "SlashTwo" own? Anybody gotta clue?

Welcome to the site! Let's make this place known for its airheads!

Archived