IGNORED

R1200ST Windshield.

wilsons

Hello!

I've ridden the ST 4 times so far on two longish trips and 2 short. my problem is with the wind shield. It just sucks tom me! So I bought a CB (Cee Bailey) wind shield shown HERE. It kinda worked and kinda didnt. When I was up against the tank sitting tall in the preferable position it really didn't work, all the wind hit me. When I crouched down, or moved back on the seat, and just ducked a wee bit it worked ok. Its a great shield it's just not quite tall enough. So I took the shield back to CB and they said they can work with me on a custom shield. I'm wondering if I get a shield similar to the one they made me with a lip on the top of the shield if that would help me. I think tho that a 15" shield thats 2" wider than the stock may look a little goofy.

Also I really love the Silver 2006 R1200GS as well. and the RT is in the mix too.

Oh, I'm buying one of these three next spring. I keep kinda leanin toward the ST. It's got the torque to keep my addiction happy where as the GS really doesn't have it. And I like the RT, its nice, but the look kinda isnt doin it for me, and its a boat, a fine boat it is though.

Any idea's? or anything else I can share? I'm really confused on what I should do here.

I really like the wind protection on my ST. Sure, my shoulders and head are in the wind, but that's expected. What's important to me is the air is clean. No turbulence, and wind speed isn't much greater than a naked bike. This is also the BEST bike I've had for managing cross winds. Even two-up and bags attached crosswinds at 90+ are not an issue. I'm not changing the aeros on this bike.

If you want to be completely removed from the wind I'd say your best bet is a bike designed for it. RT, Honda ST, Wing.... I've found taller screens have a price. Either turbulent air, loud wind hitting the helmet, or crosswind issues. It takes a lot of skill and effort to design a screen that works properly. Maybe CB will get it right if you work with them long enough.

YMMV

I could try to work em over a bit, but that may get costly. And I just don't know if its worth it. I guess it all depends on how bad I really want that ST. I'm lookin all around for things on the GS and I'll get to test ride a new silver 2006 next weekend. So hopefully that will go well smile.gif

I did like the RT but a few things really bothered me about it. The mirrors I didnt really like, though I can get used to them. The shifting on the bike was a bad fit. This may just be a matter of adjusting the peg/shift lever so my boot can actually go underneath it to use it smile.gif lastly, the looks are still scetchy, yet I seem happy with the looks of the ST.. hrm..

I guess for the time being I need to ride the GS before I do anything else. and maybe take that RT back out for a ride as well.

I'm surprised no one chimed in to counter what I stated above. I'd guess for everyone(like me) that hasn't had luck with taller screens there are many who have been happy with them.

We just got back from a 2-up, 1k mile round trip. Even at 90+ I really like the air-flow on my ST. Of course being up in the wind I need to clean my visor every few hundred miles.

My wife is comfortable on the back as well, no buffeting for her. No bugs on her screen either. She's only 5'2" so mostly she's blocked by me. I don't know how the wind-flow would be for taller pillion’s. If you plan on 2-up, make sure you take the SO along for some test rides. I've seen a number of bikes that work for the rider but produce turbulent air for the pillion.

The air flow control on my ST is the best of any motorcycle that I have ridden. Perhaps you might want to look at the helmet that you are using. When I first bought the bike, I had a new Schuberth Concept, after the first ride, bought the bike before ever seeing one, gave the Concept away and bought a Schuberth S1, all problems solved, I always use earplugs. Quiet,Comfortable and extremely aerodynamic even at extended cruises at well over 100 MPH.

My problem with it is I dont want the wind, like at all. smile.gif but that may not be able to happen. The earplugs I dont want, they just bother me ears too much. And I'm not sure about a 15" tall windshield on that bike would look all that great :P

The ST is really the wrong bike for someone who doesn't want the wind. Different windshields are just going to mess up the aerodynamics, and looking at the mounting mechanisms for the windshield, I have to wonder how well it could handle a much larger screen.

I just finished a 2000 mile trip at speed - the ST is great even in heavy turbulence behind/passing trucks.

The biggest reason i like the ST is because of the torque is has compared to the GS. if the GS had it, I wouldn't be looking at the ST smile.gif Hmmm sounds like a new thread!

Archived