IGNORED

Wiring connection for heated grips...where?

migrant

I've got a 2000 R1100RT. Looking for the factory connector for heated grips somewhere near the front fairing. I bought the Symtec kit and hooked it up to the radio connector below the left mirror. According to the wiring diagram that connector should only see power with the ignition switch on. Not a wise choice not to check it...after hooking up the grips and installing the tupperware, the grips come on even with the engine off.

I appreciate your help in locating the connector. The factory repair manual isn't worth much on this subject. There are several pages showing sketches of wiring harnesses, but no details of what and where the components are. Not sure what value these sketches provide.

migrant, maybe stay right at the radio connection.. There is one wire hot all the time (I believe red/??) This is probably the wire you are using..

First add a 15 amp fuse to the #8 position in your fuse box (it is probably blank now),, then use a test light & check the purple/??? Wire at that same radio connector you are using now.. It should go off & on with the ign switch..

Twisty

I used the purple and black striped wire for power and the brown wire for ground. That is what the wiring diagram of the Clymer book showed.

IMG_0049.jpg

Danny caddyshack Noonan

If the fuse method doesn't work, go right back to near the left mirror and look for the square connector with four sockets, or pins.

Mine was accessible without tank removal. Wire colors escape me at the moment but were the same as found on the Heated Grip Install page.

migrant, OK, then you are probably not turning your key off to lock (look in your owners manual as one off position will leave the radio on)..

As far as the factory heated grip connector (if you even have one) is probably under the fuel tank.. Not sure if BMW put the connector on all bikes or just the heated grip bikes as I never owned a 1100RT without factory heated grips..

I presume you don’t have the factory handlebar switch? If you do have the factory handlebar switch then the 4 pin connector will be up front farther.. Even if you have the 4 pin connector I don’t think it is powered as the green/black power wire from the load relief relay goes through the switch before any power can flow to the 4 pin connector..

Twisty

Archived