IGNORED

Sound Output on Zumo 550 is Weak!

twilmotte

Santa brought me a Zumo 550 for Christmas. I've got it mounted on the bike and the sound output interfaced with my Baehr Ultima XL comm system (priority 3 of 4 inputs). The output from the mp3 player is so weak it won't even mute the lowest priority 4 (AM/FM radio/cassette player) even after readjusting the input levels on the Baehr unit. I've adjusted the audio volume on the Zumo to as high as it will go ... still results in a puny output. I bought a Boosteroo (battery powered amp) to jack up the volume and it helps some, but I'd still like it higher. Has anyone encountered and solved the problem of weak audio output from the Zumo? The unit seems to be working just fine in all other respects. Thanks.

Tom, there are (2) volume adjustments on the Zumo 550.. One with the buttons & the other internally through a menu.. That MIGHT give you enough volume..

If not there is a way to hack the software using a hex tool to increase the volume across the board.. I have done this on mine & while a little complicated to do it is doable & really helps the volume output..

If you have to go there let me know & I will try to find the EXACT procedure & tool download to use (try both volume adjustments first )

External volume = lower L/H button then + or –

Internal volume = main screen/ then touch wrench (lower R/H corner)/ then touch volume button on screen/ then change Nav or MP3 (or both) to 100%..

Twisty

Thanks, Twisty. I used the buttons on the side of the unit to crank up the volume all the way to 100%. That, along with the Boosteroo, raises volume level high enough to listen to voice directions and mp3s over the priority 4 radio. Thanks, again.

Thanks, Twisty. I used the buttons on the side of the unit to crank up the volume all the way to 100%. That, along with the Boosteroo, raises volume level high enough to listen to voice directions and mp3s over the priority 4 radio. Thanks, again.

It surprises me that you need the volume at 100%, especially with a boostaroo. If that works for you, then it's fine. I have a zumo with xm, autocom, bike2bike, boostaroo, and in-ear speakers. I have to keep the zumo volume at almost the lowest setting otherwise it will burst my eardrums. Are you using helmet speakers or in-ear speakers? It just seems that something is not set up correctly.

I use J&M helmet speakers. I'm sure it's a signal output difference because the volume from my radio (through the Baehr comm system) is fine; the volume of music and voice directions from the Zumo wasn't anywhere near strong enough to override (mute) the radio (lowest priority). With the Boosteroo, the Zumo is now strong enough to be heard over (and mute) the radio. I now have a workable solution, but it would be nice not to have to use a Boosteroo.

Archived