IGNORED

Hot Weather trip tips

Paul In Australia

Paul In Australia

Hi

I am just about to embark on a 3500 mile journey on my 1200RT in what could only be described as desert in the middle of Summer.

I have done this before in the same location - it was hot and uncomfortable.

I have a BMW Airlow suit and BMW 5 helmet, Airflow gloves , LDU shorts and sweat wicking t shirts. Tinted visor on the helmet. Also Spot messenger. No GPS as not yet convinced I need one. nearly bought one yesterday, but just can't get myself over the line. I f I bought one it would be either the Zumo 660 or Zumo 550. Thoughts?

I am looking for tips people might have to:

1. keep cool

2. Hydrate

3. Prepare gear

4. prepare bike

5. Conserve tyres. Normally run at F36 R 42

I intend to make this fun this time instead of hard work.

The average day temps will be 99F to 110F( maybe a day or so higher, hopefully not). Does anyone use a camel back on an RT? Is it worth the investment?

Any thoughts on the above or any other point that will affect the ride would be greatly appreciated. I plan on spending about 6 days on the ride, possibly 7.

Due to location, the first days will be 750 miles each.

best regards

PCH

I starting using a Camelbak last year, strapped it to the gear on the seat behind me. I feel it is the best way to ensure you have easy access to water at any time.

I ride a lot in the southwest US deserts and also have spent some time in Alice Springs area in OZ so I'm familiar with the area. I use a Camelback on my back for hidration and in temps above 100F, I also use a "cooling vest". I can fill my Camelback and soak my cooling vest and they both last for 2 to 3 hours in comfort. The key to the vest is not allow too much air to get in or it will evaporate too fast. It won't work in high humidity but in the outback, it should be fine. I've never had any problems with the RT in those temps and don't do anything special.

Make sure the camelback you get can be used with your helmet on. Mine can't, my wife's can. Different mouthpieces. People who use them can go farther, but I like to stop.

We have a Zumo 550 and I consider it almost entirely worthless, and even downright worse than worthless for the most part. I can not tell you how many times it has routed us wrongly. It is good for finding gas or a hotel on your route, but only if they are indexed, and about half are not. If you are in a strange town and want to get to a specific address then I guess they are about as good as asking a drunk for directions, but slower. The absolute worst is traveling in a group with 5 or 6 of the damnable things! DAMHIK. If you should have the misfortune of traveling with several of the things, then by all means at the very least insure that you have a malfunction on your bike to bike communications. It's your only hope!

Edit: And don't even get me started on the Mapquest dogware, no trashware, the stodgy update process, the futility of trying to use it as a music library... I think I'd better just shut up before I blow a fuse.

Paul In Australia

Sounds like your not keen on the GPS. Got a say not sure what it does on touring compared to a map. Can see the use off road or around a city( my phone GPS does that well) but on a long touring run what is the avantage over a good motorcycle specific map book? We have an excellent one in Australia. I am willing to be convinced, but having difficulty see the use myself.

regards

PCh.

Thanks for the tip on the camel back mouthpiece. Thats the sort of info I need.

Paul,

My camelback has the right angle mouthpiece and Jan's is straight.

FWIW, I like the GPS, because it makes me think I know where I am, even if it is wrong; the satellite radio receiver is nice, but it will cut out near mountains or in canyons.

The mapping software is a bit challenging, but I only download a map when I will be riding with others who also have GPS so that we can argue about where to turn . . . :dopeslap: or not.

At those temps an airflow/mesh jacket is more of a hindrance than a help. There is an article, I think on the ironbutt site, about riding in temps above 100, basically you want to wear the regular gear, and open or close the vents as needed, to keep more of the moisture in. A mesh/breathable jacket actually increases the dehydration.

Camelbac, definately, even better is a gallon insulated cooler adapted to using the camelbac hose.

At those temps an airflow/mesh jacket is more of a hindrance than a help. There is an article, I think on the ironbutt site, about riding in temps above 100, basically you want to wear the regular gear, and open or close the vents as needed, to keep more of the moisture in. A mesh/breathable jacket actually increases the dehydration.

That seems to be the common line these days in motorcycling, but I would have to question that advice on an RT. So much wind protection as is.

That seems to be the common line these days in motorcycling, but I would have to question that advice on an RT. So much wind protection as is.

Even on the RT, mesh and cooling vests are not a good combination. You're lucky if you get 45 minutes of cooling. I wouldn't be without my mesh, but when I need to use the cooling vest I add the liner.

Paul, my impression of the usefullness of a GPS is quite differenty from Jan's. I use them extensively. My estimate of correct routing etc. is better than 90% but not perfect. I used two of them on my Alaska trip and they were outstanding. I used one on my continental divide trip (3K miles of dirt roads) and it was invaluable. Yes paper maps would have worked but the number of "detailed topos necessary for the CD ride would have meant a trailer to haul them. I use a 550 on my RT and a 276C on my DS bike. I like the XM radio for long rides and the MP3 was great in extreme northern lats because the XM satellites were not in view. I really like the bluetooth cell phone interface and use it frequently, especially riding around town. I don't talk on it a lot but can clearly communicate some needed or wanted info. The mapping software works great but does take some learning to use. I have used it in Mexico on dirt roads and it worked great there also. It also breaks up the boredom on long slab rides. Just my opinion.

Paul In Australia

Hi John

Thanks for the input. Considering Australia doesn't have XM radio available, I use my phone direct to my headset( bluetooth) already and I use my ipod to my helmet ( bluetooth), and I won't be using dirt roads on the RT, do you see any compelling reason to have a Zumo? I have an Australian Motorcycle Atlas which is easy to throw in the top box.

I am willing to be convinced, but they are worth about $1000 here and I am struggling to make the purchase add up.

best regards

PCH

Pual,

Whilst your canning that heat for the States do some for us in Blightey, it's 32F here and dropping!

As for the Zumo 550, mine has been fantastic. As somebody said elsewhere "it is not as good as local knowledge but who has local knowledge of more than a handful of places"? I've used mine all over Europe and the UK on the bike and in the car, not perfect but much better than guess work.

What no map can tell you is where you are. I have been "lost" a number of times on the continent (pre-GPS) and it's a nightmare trying to establish which way to go when you don't know where you are starting from and there's no one to ask even if you could speak the language... Further more on the continent in particular the wrong motorway turn can take you 30 or 40 miles out of your way before the opportunity arises to back-track, very frustrating!

Derek

Paul In Australia

Hi dereck

Agreed, great to find where you are in foreign countries like Scotland ( I am Irish). But In Ozz the only place I ever get lost is the large cities and my phone GPS works well there. Remember our road signs are in English ( not italian - funny story i could tell about the Rome ring road and language that happened 10 years ago). Agreed foreign countries who are predominentley not english speaking, it would be a huge asset. I just don't have that need at the moment. There seems to be no dissent that the Zumo is the one to have. I have to keep thinking about it.

That cold in Britain hey!!. That would make the heated seat bloody worthwhile.

Thanks mate

cheers

PCH

Another warning about the mesh gear from another desert rider. You will dehydrate faster than you can compensate for. Keep that high temp, dry wind off your skin as much as possible. That goes for your hands and face too.

Camelbaks are life savers but do not rely on water alone. If it's hot enough you could become hypokalemic (not enough potassium) be sure to supplement your hydration with some electrolytes. For me drinking from my Camelbak while riding and drinking gatorade mixed 50/50 with water at every gas stop has worked well.

You can do the 50/50 mix in your Camelbak but be sure to clean it carefully at stops.

Other electrolyte supplements are available. Camelbak actually sells one.

Happy traveling!

Hi John

Thanks for the input. Considering Australia doesn't have XM radio available, I use my phone direct to my headset( bluetooth) already and I use my ipod to my helmet ( bluetooth), and I won't be using dirt roads on the RT, do you see any compelling reason to have a Zumo? I have an Australian Motorcycle Atlas which is easy to throw in the top box.

I am willing to be convinced, but they are worth about $1000 here and I am struggling to make the purchase add up.

best regards

PCH

Paul. With no XM and you already have ipod and cell phone interface, I see no need for the expense of a Zumo 550. There are many much cheaper "just GPS" systems available if you feel you need one. As I mentioned, I really like having the GPS but there is no compelling need, just desire and convenience. Eventually, I think most will use them. It is kind of like my wife saying 20 years ago that "she didn't need no stinking garage door opener" and now it's considered a "necessity".

Paul In Australia

Hey Twisties

Jan

is this what you mean: off the wire services.

"A Nevada couple letting their SUV's navigation system guide them through the high desert of Eastern Oregon got stuck in snow for three days when the GPS unit sent them down a remote forest road.

On Sunday, atmospheric conditions apparently changed enough for their GPS-enabled cell phone to get a weak signal and relay coordinates to a dispatcher, Klamath County Sheriff Tim Evinger said."

Sounds like a $1000 bucks worth of fun.

cheers

PCH

[quote=Camelbaks are life savers but do not rely on water alone. If it's hot enough you could become hypokalemic (not enough potassium) be sure to supplement your hydration with some electrolytes. For me drinking from my Camelbak while riding and drinking gatorade mixed 50/50 with water at every gas stop has worked well.

You can do the 50/50 mix in your Camelbak but be sure to clean it carefully at stops.

Other electrolyte supplements are available. Camelbak actually sells one.

Happy traveling!

Bananas say I

Bananas say I

As Guy Fieri would say, This is bananas, and bananas is good. :grin:

Hey Ray, should chat in the next few months about the upcoming West Bound & Down! :thumbsup:

Pat

Hey Twisties

Jan

is this what you mean: off the wire services.

"A Nevada couple letting their SUV's navigation system guide them through the high desert of Eastern Oregon got stuck in snow for three days when the GPS unit sent them down a remote forest road.

On Sunday, atmospheric conditions apparently changed enough for their GPS-enabled cell phone to get a weak signal and relay coordinates to a dispatcher, Klamath County Sheriff Tim Evinger said."

Sounds like a $1000 bucks worth of fun.

cheers

PCH

You know that Cnet.com Senior Editor got killed that way a couple of years ago in Oregon. No indication of GPS involved, but stuck on the remote road for two weeks in the snow. Seasonal closure at first storm, so no one followed along.

It's not rocket science; it can be wrong sometimes and if it looks like it doesn't make sense, it probably doesn't make sense. If it tells you to turn off of a cliff, you have to apply some judgement. If you turn off the cliff anyway, let's say it just helped out the gene pool :grin:

Paul,

I think you've answered your own dilema. If your phone's sat-nav is good enough in town and you can get from town A to town B without too much of a problem why do you need another sat-nav?

Have a great ride whatever you choose to do (after you've sent that heat, brrrr!)

Derek

Paul In Australia

Hi Dereck

Your right of course. Will stick to what I have until the next international tour comes along and then get one.

Still not sure about the camel back. Obviously great product etc and does good job, but do I need one when I have all that pannir space for water bottles.

Are these things difficult to use in a helmet even with a right angle mouthpiece?

Does the water get hot in them?

regards

PCH

I think they work great and can get both the right angle as well as the straight mounth piece in my helmet. Not pretty, but it works. I think if you fill it up with cold water at a gas stop, it says pretty good for an hour or so. If you have ice, even longer. I wouldn't consider riding across the desert without one.

Hi Dereck

Your right of course. Will stick to what I have until the next international tour comes along and then get one.

Still not sure about the camel back. Obviously great product etc and does good job, but do I need one when I have all that pannir space for water bottles.

Are these things difficult to use in a helmet even with a right angle mouthpiece?

Does the water get hot in them?

regards

PCH

A lot of people wear them, others try to mount the bladder somewhere, such as in a tank bag. I have a peculiar fear of wearing them as I don't like the idea of the straps hanging up in the event of a get off. I don't claim it's a rational fear.

One consideration that I have found is that even in our dry environment if the bag has ice in it, condensation can form which can be an issue with electronics, optics, or other items. Therefore you may wish to plan to keep those items in a separate bag entirely.

I don't think capacity is an issue. If you are drinking enough you should need to relieve yourself fairly frequently. Even the smallest is going to carry you along to the next pit stop. These are the words of a non-distance rider, so take them as is appropriate, but I have never needed to refill mine through the day.

My straight angle one works fine with my dirt helmet, but I can not get it inside my HJC Symax street helmet without lifting the chin bar. I have concluded that lifting the chinbar while in motion is dangerous, DAMHIK, and this I do claim is a rational fear. I think it depends on the specific helmet, and I just say to make sure with your helmet... take the helmet with you when you look at the Camelbacks. And maybe even wear riding gloves for a realistic experience.

I have the Camelback "Lobo" that holds 3 litres and being designed for mountain biking has a few pockets and a "stuff" area that are good for holding some snacks, energy gels ect., and a spare layer. It works out great in that I don't need to get into my panniers to get a snack or a drink, and my rain gear fits in it also leaving room in my tankbag for other stuff.\

I have worn it while training for a marathon, mountian biking, and of course on the motorcycle with no problems at all, and the right angle bite valve works well even with a fixed face helmet. I don't have the straight valve so I can't say on way or the other on it.

I have been looking at a few of the smaller capacity Camelbacks lately, the ones with no additional storage that are 70oz or so as they are more sleek and fit better under over coats or a jersey for offroad. And I usualy fill mine with ice then add a quart of gatoraide and top it off with water. Here in Vegas in the heat of summer the ice is good for a few hours before it all melts, and getting the insulated drinking tube that is wrapped in neoprene seems to help extend the time that the ice lasts IMO.

Mine is one of the 70 oz versions. I think it is called the "Mule". On desert crossings above 100F, I stop every couple hours and re-fill with a liter at the same time I re-soak my cooling vest with another liter. Makes for a fairly comfortable trip.

Bought a Hoon Cooler a few years back from somebody on this site. I can't remember who was making them & not sure if still available. Works great though.

100_3851.jpg

Pat

I fill my camelback with ice and water, add a Nuuns electrolyte tablet, and keep it in my tank bag. Each time I take a sip I blow the water in the tube back into the bladder so the next sip is nice and cold.

Paul In Australia

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice on this one.

Looks like I will go and get the small Camelback ( 50oz) and use that. It seems small enough to be still comfortable and very easy to fill.

regards

PCH

I use a small, waist size camel back that I place around my tank bag. In addition, I wear light colored clothes, usually a long sleeve, white t-shirt. However, having fallen recently while wearing my solid leather jacket, I am re-thinking the t-shirt option.

• 2 weeks later...

hi paul.

i live in adelaide and travel long distance in australia,in 2 weeks time i will travel to brisbane.i have a garmin nuvi 760 gps.

i used it more for the correct speed reading and the overal moving speed.cost around $400.i use a cheaper non camelpack brand from good camping shops for halve the price.i don"t use water i prefer gatoraid or simular product. i don"t use a cooling vest, bud have looked at it. i like to travel in the morning houres, i normaly leave at 2 or4 o"clock in the morning.have a good and save trip

Paul In Australia

Hi Guys

Just back and managed over 3500 miles in 6 days over 90% on back roads ( but oh so sweet back roads ). Got 46 degree C ambient ( 115 F) to 13 deg C ( 55 F) ( so much hotter on the tarmac ) and had a ball. Strong winds ( especially the hot ones ) and a bit of rain. The bike did it all. It is the most important desert accessory in my opinion. Did not need the GPS at all. Atlas ( motorcycle) did a fine job. Save the $1000 bucks unless off road or foreign country. BUT did use a Spot messenger. great product IMO.Used a neck tie cooler but no cooler vest. Worked fine. The RT makes mesh gear ( IMO ) worth while in VERY hot areas because o the wind protection. I would not want to wear my Olympic Voyager in the same heat. For the same reason Cool vest is ok but not mandatory in my opinion. Hydration is very important so a Camel back is convenient , but stopping each two hours for 15 mins and drinking 2 litres of water works fine.

The trip was amazing and already looking at the next one.

best regards

paul

Archived