IGNORED

Interested in 2010 R1200RT

twray

Getting back into riding after selling a 2002RT 5 years ago. I am interested in 2010RT and have a few of questions.

What is the general opinion of ESA II, looks to me like a something I don't need. Can I still adjust preload and damping if I don't get the ESA II, but not while riding of course.

What is the general opinion of ASC, the cost seems reasonable at $400.00 if the system supplies any safety features.

Does anyone know when the actual delivery date to dealers will be?

I have an 07RT with ESA that I got second hand. I would much rather have had Ohlins and not ESA. The concept may be a nice idea but they implemented it with low-end shocks that cannot be rebuilt. Ohlins or Wilbers are a much better choice. Works makes a rebuildable ESA compatible shock that uses the ESA elements of the OEM shocks. Not too much info on them yet so I cannot recommend but may be an option.

My dealer says that the earliest they are being quoted is March 2010.

Don't know about ESA II. General opinion seems to be to save the money and go with Ohlins or some such aftermarket premium shocks.

ASC: I currently ride a 2007 R1200R that was the release day bike for the dealership, and it did not have ESA available at the time. I have used the antilock a couple of times avoiding cage drivers doing everything but driving, so like that. I have not really had a problem with the lack of the ASC, but again, others swear by it. It is a good anti-wheelie feature on the K1300GT. You can accelerate like a rocket off traffic lights when necessary to humble Corvette drivers. Or so I am told. I have no personal knowledge of that.... ;)

Someone on the BMWLT board posted these as the 2010 RT prices

MSRP $17,000

Destination $495.

Standard Package $17,945 CC, Heated Grips, Comp, Socket

Premium Package $19,195 Standard Package plus ESA II, Heated Seat.

Audio System $1,195.

TPM $250.

ASC $400.

Ouch ! Still, its cheaper than the LT or the KGT, and my boss lady says she prefers the RT. I think I have permission for a second bike! :)

My general vehicle buying philosophy is less is more. More gizmo's and accessories means more chance for something to go wrong. When buying, simple and fewest options is better.

My general vehicle buying philosophy is less is more. More gizmo's and accessories means more chance for something to go wrong. When buying, simple and fewest options is better.

+1 My GSA spent 3 weeks in the shop this month waiting for parts from the motherland. $2500.00 later (warranty) the ESA was fixed...don't get ESA. I don't see the value in this feature.

Now the RT? Go for it and give us a report forthwith!!

My GSA spent 3 weeks in the shop this month waiting for parts from the motherland. $2500.00 later (warranty) the ESA was fixed...don't get ESA. I don't see the value in this feature.

Indeed. Even beyond the performance hit that the stock suspension takes over the aftermarket options, the concept of ESA itself is fatally flawed by the fact that BMW provides no reasonable way to maintain what is essentially a wear item (unless you consider $3,000+ in new parts reasonable.) And ESA II is even more complex and presumably more expensive to replace, going in exactly the wrong direction in that regard. Until this problem is solved there simply isn't sufficient value in the adjustablity feature to justify the cost of ownership.

Archived