IGNORED

Dead battery on R11RT

Mitch1352

My BatteryTender said it is charged, but she ain't cranking. How do I get her started so I can get to the shop for a new battery (this one is about 3 years old)?

Does the battery crank the bike at all? do the dash lights go out when you try to crank it? May be something else beside a bad battery, is what i'm thinking. if it is a bad battery, jump starting should get you going, as mentioned above.

a handy way to jump start it is to use a long screwdriver to connect the jumper cable to the + of the battery, just clip the red cable to the screwdriver and push it on the + terminal (on the right side of the bike).

HTH, Daniël

My BatteryTender said it is charged, but she ain't cranking. How do I get her started so I can get to the shop for a new battery (this one is about 3 years old)?

Mitch1352, are you sure it is a battery problem?

Any chance you have the kill switch switched off? Make sure the trans in neutral & you have the clutch pulled in..

If your battery is dead (no dash lights or fuel pump noise at key on) then make darn sure your battery charger is actually reaching the battery (maybe a blown fuse in the charger pig tail or socket wiring).. Or maybe your battery charger is dead.. Use a test light or voltmeter & make sure the charger attachment to the bike is reaching the battery..

If you try to jump it from something like a car or truck be VERY careful as the large current flow from an automobile battery (especially if vehicle is running) can blow up your motorcycle battery if it is bad,, or completely dead,, or internally shorted..

If your motorcycle battery has any power in it you might be able to push start the bike (roll start it).. If the battery is completely dead then it won’t start with a roll off..

Twisty

What year is your bike?

Do your lights and horn (do them together) work well and don't dim, could well be a buggered (kill/sidestand) switch.

OTOH - If your starter tries to crank but doesn't turn it over, it might be your starter. Cable connections or, if yours is an R1100RT, starter itself.

Archived