IGNORED

Steering Head Bearings

Mighty Manfred

Mighty Manfred

I'm fixin' to replace the steering head bearings in my 1987 R80RT. I've read articles on the BMWMOA, Airhead web site, and IBMWR site. Bought race pullers; bearings arrive Wednesday.

Any advice from this mob?

Mighty Manfred

Here's an interesting - and frustrating - problem I've run into. Since I am still learning this bike, I'm unsure how to proceed.

In trying to loosen the large (36MM) top tune cap nuts (item 26 on the drawing located here:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMid/B0000555.png?v=10262009 ),

I've noticed that what I think is the spring retainer - the inner section (#22) onto which the cap nut screws - is turning along with the cap nut. It appears the the cap nut is not being loosened - simply dragging the spring retainer around.

Any ideas or suggestions or corrections?

Mighty Manfred

A friend came over to help and we figured out a solution. We found out that the head of an M10 metric bolt fit exactly in the inner orifice, so we put a couple of nuts on it so he could hold that while I loosened the cap nuts.

I used the tools from CycleWorks http://www.cycleworks.net/tools_chassis_wheels.htm and yanking the lower bearings and both races went as easily as is possible for such a job.

She awaits the delivery of new bearings tomorrow.

Mighty Manfred

New bearings installed - need a little assist with some muscle to get the forks a wee bit higher in the tree so I can put the top plate on. My friend will be back to help in a day or two.

I have visited the BoxerWorks web site a few times - didn't know they were tech help, to boot.

Glad this is not something that needs to be done regularly!

Mighty Manfred

Ta-da! Complete! She awaits the rear shock (Fox Shox Twin Clicker) which is being rebuilt. Good time to be bike less - it's been relatively cold (32 last night - brrrr!).

• 1 month later...
Mighty Manfred

The Fox Shox arrived this week and I installed it, checked to see if the bike would start after setting for about a month. This morning, I pulled out onto the street and the steering was crazy weird, unable to go straight! I pulled up to a stop sign a couple blocks from my house and looked down. The front tire was nearly flat!

My bike sat in the garage for 5 weeks without being ridden. Both tires were low. This is basic maintenance, but nooooo - I didn't even think to check air pressure before jumping on it. Sheesh!

I will have a bit of time this afternoon to take another ride and - hopefully - all will be right.

Mighty Manfred

Ride update - Whoo-hoo! With the proper pressure in the tires, this bike is primo! I now know what bad steering head bearings feel like - just didn't know that's what it was. She slips into turns now, rather than having to push the handlebar. Tomorrow is supposed to be right nice weather.

Archived