IGNORED

Getting Lat/Long On Google Maps

marcopolo

Anybody know if there's an easy way to determine the coordinates (lat/long) of the markers (like mountain passes) on the Google UnRally maps that are linked in the UnRally website? I'm creating waypoints in Mapsoure so they're uploadable to my GPS and for the moment I'm just eyeballing them on the Google map then doing the same on Mapsource. I'm trying to figure out an easier way to transpose points from Google maps to Mapsource and thought having the lat/long would be the answer. Any suggestions?

I don't know if there is a better way but this is how I get the lat/long info. Painful but it works.

1. Select on the Google Map in question.

2. Right click on the waypoint and select "Center Map Here".

3. Click on "Link" and cut/paste the link.

4. The ll= parameter stands for latitude/longitude.

5. Positive values on the first number are for "north" latitudes. Negative values on the second number are for "west" longitudes.

Or another trick, create a bookmark with the contents:

javascript:void(prompt('',gApplication.getMap().getCenter()));

Select this bookmark with a Google map showing and you'll get a popup showing the Lat-Long of the map center. You can also just paste the above into the address bar of the browser if you don't want to make a bookmark.

You need to have a Google account and be logged in.

Click on the link that says View Alpine Passes in a new window.

In the left pane of the new window, click on Save to My Maps.

Click on My Maps. You may need to click on Alpine Passes, it might go right to it.

Now you have a link in the right pane that says View in Google Earth.

Right-click on that, copy the link, open a new browser window, paste the link into the address bar.

In the link find where it says output=nl and change to output=kml. Hit Enter. You should now have the option to download a file. Do so.

If you open the file in a text editor, you can find the coordinates.

To open it in MapSource, go to this link: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

Upload the .kml file you downloaded from Google Maps. Select output format GPX. Download the converted GPX file. MapSource can read this directly.

Alternatively, use GPSBabel to convert the KML file into a GPX file, which you can do from the GPS Visualizer site, or by downloading the program.

Also alternatively, just go here: http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/ and follow the instructions.

You need to have a Google account and be logged in.

Click on the link that says View Alpine Passes in a new window.

In the left pane of the new window, click on Save to My Maps.

Click on My Maps. You may need to click on Alpine Passes, it might go right to it.

Now you have a link in the right pane that says View in Google Earth.

Right-click on that, copy the link, open a new browser window, paste the link into the address bar.

In the link find where it says output=nl and change to output=kml. Hit Enter. You should now have the option to download a file. Do so.

If you open the file in a text editor, you can find the coordinates.

To open it in MapSource, go to this link: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

Upload the .kml file you downloaded from Google Maps. Select output format GPX. Download the converted GPX file. MapSource can read this directly.

Alternatively, use GPSBabel to convert the KML file into a GPX file, which you can do from the GPS Visualizer site, or by downloading the program.

Also alternatively, just go here: http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/ and follow the instructions.

How do you guys figure all this stuff out? I still can't post a stupid picture.

How do you guys figure all this stuff out? I still can't post a stupid picture.

Huh? What about "javascript:void(prompt('',gApplication.getMap().getCenter()));" don't you understand..?

Archived