IGNORED

How many elec access can a R12RT battery handle

Bugs

Having owned 8 bikes over 25+ years, my purchase of an R12RT is my first step into the touring and serious commuting side of the sport. I'm really getting sucked into the gadget and gear quest right now, and it's finally occured to me that I've done so without having a master plan for HOW I'm going to power all this stuff.

Here's what I've currently got in hand, but haven't hooked up just yet:

1. Radar detector (plan to run audio through the autocom)

2. Autocom (the model that can run off the bike's battery or a 9V)

3. MP3 player (plan to run audio through the autocom... uh, but won't be powering this off of the bike battery.

4. R12RT includes heated grips and heated seat.

Here's what I'd like to add if possible:

1) Heated jacket/pants

2) GPS (although won't likely add this right away)

QUESTION: Will my R12RT battery be able to handle all this?

In reading the R12RT owners manual, it looks like there are times when the battery isn't even strong enough to drive the heated grips/seat. I also thought I saw a post indicating that the performance of my braking system can be put at risk when the battery is drawn low.

Any body out there with a R12RT (or similar) running all these electrical gadgets with success on the stock battery set up?

QUESTION: Will my R12RT battery be able to handle all this?

Easily, and more. Just turn stuff off if you aren't at speed, as alternator output is directly related to RPM.

It's really not a question directly of if the battery can handle it or not. It's a bit more complicated than that. The battery can power anything. For some period of time. The real core question is can the charging system output enough power to power all the loads, including the auxiliary ones an owner might add, AND keep the battery charged? Or are you in a 'discharge' state where the load is greater than the charging system can generate and the rest is being made up by the battery, thus running it down over time?

The output of the charging system is directly related to RPM. Greater RPM = greater ability to run 'stuff' and still keep the battery charged.

If one equips up a bike with heated this and that, high power lighting, gadgets galore; and then starts it, turns it all on and lets it sit and idle, the bike will almost certainly be in a discharge state. The charging system is not keeping up with the load, the rest is coming from the battery, and left there idling long enough, the battery will run out and the bike will quit.

On-the-other hand, the same equipped bike running down the highway at 5000 RPM all day long every day will almost certainly be in 'charging' state. The charging system is producing more than all the loads need, it is keeping the battery at full charge, and everything and everybody is happy.

Somewhere in between those two extremes is your riding mix. Thus there is no real yes/no answer to the question.

Your bike has a rating of what the max. output of the charging system is at what RPM. 740 watts at 4000 RPM, or something like that. It is possible to do some rough adding up of the watts of all the loads, and compare that to the max. output of the system, compared to the % of your riding at or above the max. charging RPMs and draw some general, "will I be okay?" conclusions. But they are just that, general conclusions.

This is the core, often overlooked I think, reason while one person has battery issues and the next person with the same bike doesn't. What are the total loads AND what is the driving mix that does or does not give the charging system a chance to keep the battery properly charged?

My old Harley will handle Gerbing heated jacket, radar detector, GPS, and aux lights and it only has a 320 watt alternator, the R1200 has 720 watts so there should be no problem handling many accessories.

I am running heated grips, seat, and radar, XM raido, Autocom off a seperate fues bux that I added and have also plugged in my heated jacket liner to the outlet on my '05 1200 RT with no issues. That said, I also don't power up till I am moving. Rarely do the Des Moines Police wait in my quiet area for me to speed by... grin.gifgrin.gif

I have noticed that the electronic "brains" of the RT12 are always watching for electric overdrain, so when the load is high the RPMs increase (while idling) so I won´t be that worried about turning off the stuff.

But, as said, the sum of the amp usage must be lower than the alternator capacity.

One thing you should consider is adding a fuse box connected straight to batt poles to have some xtra sockets where you can plug all your gizmos, since RT12 has only 2 (stock).

Archived