IGNORED

Overnight Stop Between Grand Junction CO and Topaz Lake?

marcopolo

I will be riding to the UnRally with a friend on his GSA. We plan to leave home on Tuesday, 5 July and take six days to get to Topaz Lake (arriving Sunday, 10 July). On Day 4 we plan to spend the night in Grand Junction, Colorado. That then gives us two days to go from Grand Junction to Topaz Lake. We plan to head west on I-70, then grab Hwy 50 around Salina, Utah, and follow it west before cutting south to Topaz Lake around Silver Springs, Nevada. We're looking for an overnight stop along Hwy 50 on Day 5. We're looking for a place where we can get a decent room and a decent meal.

Would Ely, NV, be our best bet?

Good route! Ely will give you the best choice of options. Not much else before or after. (Next stop would be Eureka It has a decent Best Western and a good steak joint, but a longer ride from Salina).

www.gatewaycanyons.com ,,,Check this place out,,Great car museum in the middle of no where,,Hwy 141 is one of the best roads in CO,,,The canyon is assume,,Has a nice place to eat,,Gas,,,Has it all,,,You can even rent a Ford GT to run the canyon,,,,

Then keep going to Austin, nifty old town in the middle of the state.

...with a great burger joint on the right as you enter town from the east (hopefully still in business).

Hey Mark,

You might also look at picking up Rt 50 just north of Pueblo, CO. It is a great ride through the Black Canon of the Gunnison, on over to the Royal Gorge, then up towards Grand Junction. Be sure and take the road through the Colorado National Monument, close to Grand Junction. I was just through there in September, it's stunning!

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Steve

Be sure and take the road through the Colorado National Monument, close to Grand Junction. I was just through there in September, it's stunning!

Absolutely agree:

CO_Ntnl_Mnmnt_1.jpg

CO_Ntnl_Mnmnt_2.jpg

Mike Cassidy

• 1 month later...

Plenty of places in Ely, but occasionally the town books full if there's a special event.

I'm going to recommend going an hour farther west to Eureka, and stay at the Best Western that Dave mentioned in an earlier post. The Owl Club about a block away has good food, and a typical old time Nevada saloon.

Last summer on my ride back from the east coast I left Grand Junction just before dawn, detoured off of I-70 and took Utah state route 24 through Capital Reef National Park. I still made Eureka well before dark. Then you're set up for getting to Topaz just about check-in time the next day, and that's with sleeping in a bit, and a lunch stop.

Wherever you two stay, enjoy the ride. Probably see you in Topaz.

I cross Nevada a lot, my stop is Ely. The motels are all about the same, I just pick whatever is open.

I will say, the only road to cross Nevada on, riding a motorcycle, is Hwy 6. Pretty, fun, empty, two lane road that will lead you to 395, via Benton, with some of the very best go fast twisties, and stomach losing whoops you will ever find; they are on 120 as you approach Mono Lake from the east.

Here it is;

778101097_SKYnG-M.jpg

Read about it here

120/Benton

Rad, thank you. My original idea to head home from Topaz Lake was mostly rt. 50 to Utah. I have done rt. 50 before. Seems like 395 south, 120 east, hwy. 6 east to Ely is a great alternative. Only about 20 miles longer and without the traffic slow-down of Carson City etc.

Rad, thank you. My original idea to head home from Topaz Lake was mostly rt. 50 to Utah. I have done rt. 50 before. Seems like 395 south, 120 east, hwy. 6 east to Ely is a great alternative. Only about 20 miles longer and without the traffic slow-down of Carson City etc.

Carson City is an avoid at all costs section of road! I vist folks there, it is sucky stop and go.

You will love 120 and 6. Watch your speed as you get closer to Tonopah, lots of LEO's. Other than Tonopah, there is no place for gas, or to eat, between Benton and Ely. There is a small store and gas pump about an hour or two east of Tonopah. I won’t stop there anymore. For the last couple of years they refuse to let people use their restroom, each time they say it is broken. Mmmmmmm how long does it take to fix a restroom?

I am a little farther East. I will be coming from Fort Collins, CO, and need to make somewhere around Salina, UT on Saturday July 10. I arrive in Denver on Friday July 9, head over to the UN on Saturday July 10, want to arrive around 3pm on Monday July 12. So I have three days to ride, and do not mind some long days if the roads are nice.

so what are the roads not to miss between Fort Collins and Salina, UT. I have already noted all the roads you have commented on from Grand Junction to Topaz Lake, now I need to get from Fort Collins to Salina, UT(or there about).

I am flexible on the route. If a northern route to Ely or Eureka is better, I can go that way.

No reason to go through Carson City coming in on US50 from the East to the Unrally.

Leave US50 at either US95 (Fallon) or US95a (Silver Springs) and head towards Yerington.

From Yerington, take either 208 or 339/208 to US395.

Topaz Lodge is just a few miles south of the US395/208 junction.

I am a little farther East. I will be coming from Fort Collins, CO, and need to make somewhere around Salina, UT on Saturday July 10.

If you can push on to Delta, UT instead of Salina, the Rancher Motel & Cafe is a cheap place to stay with great breakfasts! You can't miss it.

thanks, but I am thinking Salina might be a push. About 515 miles to Salina, 585 to Delta. Might be possible. I would really like to stop about an hour east of Salina i.e. around 450 mile day. just not sure what roads I will be taking and really what route yet, so my major points so far, are Fort collins, Salina, Eureka, Topaz Lake. subject to change as I get more information. thanks for the info, I will note it in my mapsource 2010 un map.

I cross Nevada a lot, my stop is Ely. The motels are all about the same, I just pick whatever is open.

I will say, the only road to cross Nevada on, riding a motorcycle, is Hwy 6.

rad, thanks for the suggestion about Hwy 6. My friend and I have reserved a room in Ely for the night and we will definitely check out Hwy 6 as an alternative to Hwy 50 for our route west from Ely to Topaz Lake.

I am guessing there is no place to stay for a night between Ely and were Hwy 6 intersects Hwy 376

currently based upon some good suggestions I have

Fort Collins to Green River UT( 400 miles)

Green River UT to Ely (330 miles)

Ely to Topaz lake NV (380 miles)

I would like to move about 80 miles from Modays Ely to Topaz Lake leg to Sunday's Green River to Ely leg. Basically I would like to be a little further West of Ely on hwy 6 Sunday night.

Any suggestions?

I have not been on that road, but checking Google and looking at the map there seems to be absolutely nothing between Ely and Tonopah, unless you want to put up your tent next to the road :)

I have not been on that road, but checking Google and looking at the map there seems to be absolutely nothing between Ely and Tonopah, unless you want to put up your tent next to the road :)

That is the beauty of the ride. Just you and a two lane road, not much else, as you burn up a tank of gas. If ya gotta wiz, ya better find a bush......Come to think of it, no bush needed, there is no one to see you. :grin:

thanks, but I am thinking Salina might be a push. About 515 miles to Salina, 585 to Delta. Might be possible. I would really like to stop about an hour east of Salina
There is nothing, NOTHING, an hour east of Salina. No gas between Green River and Salina which is about 109 miles. It's a great piece of road for an interstate though. Torrey is sort of between Green River and Salina but will add a bit of mileage.

As for US50 v US6 I say take 50 the first time, I think it's more interesting (done both many many times). Near Austin take NV728 which parallels US50 but goes over a range of mountains rather than round them, wonderful road.

As for US50 v US6 I say take 50 the first time, I think it's more interesting (done both many many times). Near Austin take NV728 which parallels US50 but goes over a range of mountains rather than round them, wonderful road.

Exactly!!! The 728 is THE way to go. Beautiful!! I've run across big horn sheep and all sorts of other wildlife through there and NEVER go across 50 without going on that road.

You need to have this route pre-planned or else you will drive right past the turn off as it is, literally, just a turn off with no markings. Very easy to overshoot if you're not ready for it.

Also, DO NOT speed within 5-10 miles East or West of Eureka. You've been warned. Also as you pass through Austin keep in mind the 25 mph speed limit. The road dropping in to Austin from the East is FUN!!!

On my way to John Day Unrally, with the target of Michael's (Sagerider) place in Minden NV, I did rt. 50 with the bypass to rt. 728 (old rt. 50). It is well worthy. I did not see big horn sheep, but I saw antelopes. It is even lonelier then rt. 50.

Exactly!!! The 728 is THE way to go. Beautiful!! I've run across big horn sheep and all sorts of other wildlife through there and NEVER go across 50 without going on that road.

You need to have this route pre-planned or else you will drive right past the turn off as it is, literally, just a turn off with no markings. Very easy to overshoot if you're not ready for it.

Also, DO NOT speed within 5-10 miles East or West of Eureka. You've been warned. Also as you pass through Austin keep in mind the 25 mph speed limit. The road dropping in to Austin from the East is FUN!!!

On my way to John Day Unrally, with the target of Michael's (Sagerider) place in Minden NV, I did rt. 50 with the bypass to rt. 728 (old rt. 50). It is well worthy. I did not see big horn sheep, but I saw antelopes. It is even lonelier then rt. 50.

Sharon and I found out our top ends on the east part of that road, and tested lean angle limits on the western section.

My friend Rod and I have two options plugged into our GPS's (can you tell we're looking forward to the trip five months out): Hwy 50, including the jog onto NV 722, and Hwy 6. We've read all the comments and take it from there. Thanks; all the comments have been quite helpful.

I have also "waypointed" all these roads and stops. Based upon the information so far I have this

fort collins to greenriver I-70

greenriver to Ely I-70 to Salina Hwy 50 to Delta Hwy 6 to Ely

Ely to Topaz Lake hwy 6 to Hwy 120 to Hwy 395 to Topaz lake

Going home I will take the Hwy 50 Hwy 722 back to Ely, then just reverse the trip back to Fort Collins.

• 1 month later...

Bob, Sagerider et al,

Being as we are trailering the RT, we plugged in 50 all the way to Gardnerville as we are currently planning to stay at the Bristlecone in Ely after our sojourn in Torrey. Then plugging on to Gardnerville. Wondering if the alternatives mentioned would be a better route...or worse if we are towing!

Hmmm! Now I am wondering if it would be a better journey split to carry on a little further to Eureka to stay overnight rather than Ely?

Darn! Just when I thought I had it all planned out :eek:

Coming from the east from Ely, I would take:

W on US50 to US95A in Silver Springs.

On this leg, if towing, I would avoid the 722 side trip unless plenty of time to spare. It will be a slow slog, but scenic!)

S on US95A to NV339 (Continue straight onto NV339 when US95a turns left to enter Yerrington).

S on NV339 to SR208.

W on NV208 to US395.

S on US395 to Topaz Lake.

For those referring to Gardnerville as the destination, please be aware that Topaz Lake and Lodge are actually 20 miles to the south of the town of Gardnerville.

Speed Limits on US50 from the Utah State Line to just east of Fallon, NV are 70MPH except passing through towns and the passes.

From Fallon to Topaz, speed limits will be 65MPH or lower.

philbytx, It's approx. 350 miles from Ely to Topaz. An early start and you can see Topaz by early afternoon assuming you can tow at 70MPH. If I stay in Ely or Eureka, I stay at the Best Westerns. Just make a reservation for both and cancel the one you don't use. Cancellation policy is typically same evening 5:00PM. (Check, of course, to be sure!)

Thanks Michael :thumbsup:

Just reworked the route and our overnight stay. Will now stay in Eureka and we'll do the "backroads" via 95 to the Super 8.

• 3 weeks later...

I've camped at the Great Basin Park and At the KOA in Ely. Both are nice places. Last time I was there a weather front came through and we had sleet going over the passes in May. Some motels in Ely are almost as cheap as the KOA though. If the weather is crappy, a motel might be in order.

There is a free Forest Service campground near Austin, I'm told, that is ok.

There is a whole lot of open on hwy 50 so it may seem intimidating.

Do pay attention to the speed limits in the few towns. They love to give ticky for 26 in the 25's.

Archived