IGNORED

Reviving bike after ten years

graydude

My son and I have taken on a 1983 Yamaha Virago as a project bike. The bike has not been ran in 10 years and sat outside. Other than the basics like battery, fluids, etc... I'm wondering what is the best approach for the first time start. Is it best to spray something into the cylinders before I start to get things lubed up again and if so, what? Secondly, what's the best approach for the switch gear like turn signals, starter button etc.. Is there a recommended contact cleaner/lube?

Thnaks, Graydude

Marvel Mystery Oil, squirt a bunch in the cylinders and around the valve stems. The stuff does wonders on freeing up stuck motors, believe me, I unfroze the motor in a 41 Chevy that had sat in a barn since 50 with it. While the plugs are out after the oil has had time to work its magic and you've done all the other fluids and coolant hoses turn the motor over by hand via the rear wheel some to get things started moving, also if you add some of the MMO to the motor oil it will help clean the sludge and corrosion out of the block and free sticky lifters. The stuff really is a great product, even if we call it the "redneck tune up".

I've never done a revival/restoration, but here are some potentially useful links:

Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club

Motorcycle Classics Magazine

Virago Owners Club

Dr. Piston's Virago tech tips

Dr. Piston's "Buying a Virago" page has some good overview items on early Viragos

Resurrecting a Virago barn find goes through bringing an '83 Virago 500 back to life! Hmm, I just read it and realized that only Parts I and II are up. I don't think he has finished yet.

Every restoration I've read about has included pulling and cleaning the carburetors, which will get gummed up from old fuel that's been left sitting in them. Also watch out for rust in the gas tank.

I would think that the spray electrical contact cleaner you can find at Radio Shack or NAPA (but usually not Pep Boys or the like, in my experience) would be good for cleaning connectors and switches.

Archived