IGNORED

Along the way...

Kathy R

What are you contemplating seeing on the trip to and from the UN? National and State Parks? Family? Historical places. Events? ?.....

Are you taking the fastest route, the scenic route, or a mix?

I'm overwhelmed with the choices between upstate NY and the Sierra Nevada. I'd love to know what you are thinking?

I'll be riding out with a friend from Ottawa. Like you, it's a bit of a hike from here. Given that we've been out to the southwest a number of times before on our bikes, we'll be taking the fast way: under the great lakes (I-81 then west through Buffalo to Cleveland and down to Columbus). From there it's west all the way on I-70. From there we either go north, or south from the end of I-70 (we're going to ask for suggestions at some point). For the moment, we're talking about cutting up to Salt Lake City then heading across on 1-80 through Wendowver, Winnemuca etc. to Reno, then dropping down to Topaz Lake. We're planning on six days.

Mark,

I highly recommend rather than I80 from SLC to Reno, that you investigate US50. From SLC: I80W to US93 S. to US50W to US95A (Silver Springs) S...... Adds about 20 miles but is much more scenic with some twisties thrown in. Speeds along this route are generally good. Except for passing through the few towns, the limit is normally posted at 70MPH. (I80 is 75MPH).

Mark,

I highly recommend rather than I80 from SLC to Reno, that you investigate US50. From SLC: I80W to US93 S. to US50W to US95A (Silver Springs) S...... Adds about 20 miles but is much more scenic with some twisties thrown in. Speeds along this route are generally good. Except for passing through the few towns, the limit is normally posted at 70MPH. (I80 is 75MPH).

Thanks Michael; I'll check that out, especially since we were thing about spending the night in Wendover/West Wendover and following your suggestion we'd take 93 south from there.

Mark,

Thanks Michael; I'll check that out, especially since we were thing about spending the night in Wendover/West Wendover and following your suggestion we'd take 93 south from there.

Don't go to SLC at all. US50 takes off from I70 in Salina, UT (near Torrey), it's well worth taking. Of course you could pop down Sweeper Madness and over Fish Lake from I70 then take UT24 to Salina...
Don't go to SLC at all. US50 takes off from I70 in Salina, UT (near Torrey), it's well worth taking. Of course you could pop down Sweeper Madness and over Fish Lake from I70 then take UT24 to Salina...

Thanks Bob. Yeah, that makes a lot more sense, now that I've looked at a map.

I last did the PC Highway in '01, and only as far north as SF. I'm considering doing the whole coast, starting from Port Angeles/Olympic Park in Washington.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner here! Your 2010 pied piper leader is going to be Ms. Kathy R. :thumbsup:

If i'm able to make this happen, I'll need to see the other ocean before or after the UN.

Pat

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner here! Your 2010 pied piper leader is going to be Ms. Kathy R. :thumbsup:

If i'm able to make this happen, I'll need to see the other ocean before or after the UN.

Pat

Pat, I love ya, so don't make me shoot you. :grin: I am not a PP. I'm a PB.

You can't miss the Pacific. You just cannot miss the Pacific.

Pat

Pat, I love ya, so don't make me shoot you. :grin: I am not a PP. I'm a PB.

Kathy,

When I had the family out there (SF over a Spring Break, one of the coldest vactions we ever had)

I took everyone out to the big trees and had them hike for an hour to see the view of the Pacific.

I'm here to tell you, you can miss the Pacific.

The fog horns sounded pretty neat...

:dopeslap:

"Don't go to SLC at all. US50 takes off from I70 in Salina, UT (near Torrey), it's well worth taking. Of course you could pop down Sweeper Madness and over Fish Lake from I70 then take UT24 to Salina..."

That is exactly what I did on my way to John Day in 2008, including Sweeper Madness/Fish Lake. It was well worth it.

For 2010/Sierra Nevada: Hightailing North, via Chicago (crossing on July 4) to US 2 close along the Canadian border all the way to Idaho. Sleep on the East side of Glacier NP and cross it early morning with the RVs still asleep. In Idaho ride South to to Lewiston and then to Oregon/Hell's Canyon. Ride through John Day (memories), visit Crater Lake, into Cali to stop around Redding/Red Bluff. Ride rt. 36 (a must) to the coast. South on rt. 1 to San Francisco, visit Cary at Marin BMW if the timing is right, continue South on 1. Cut inland to around Visalia. Last day touch Sequoia NP and get my butt to Topaz Lake. After the UN get on the bike and ride home. All of this subject to change.

Does it look like I already did some planning? :grin:

Very true. Just keep going west, and you're bound to hit it somewhere. As Tallman pointed out, you may not actually SEE it, but you won't miss it.

Me, I'm probably going to be enjoying the lovely sights of I-15 and US395 'cuz it'll be cooler than going up the central valley and over the mountains.

For 2010/Sierra Nevada: Hightailing North, via Chicago (crossing on July 4) to US 2 close along the Canadian border all the way to Idaho. Sleep on the East side of Glacier NP and cross it early morning with the RVs still asleep. In Idaho ride South to to Lewiston and then to Oregon/Hell's Canyon. Ride through John Day (memories), visit Crater Lake, into Cali to stop around Redding/Red Bluff. Ride rt. 36 (a must) to the coast. South on rt. 1 to San Francisco, visit Cary at Marin BMW if the timing is right, continue South on 1. Cut inland to around Visalia. Last day touch Sequoia NP and get my butt to Topaz Lake. After the UN get on the bike and ride home.

A man with a plan! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pat

"

Does it look like I already did some planning? :grin:

I like Paul's initial plan and will hope to ride some of it with him or see him on the road for I too want to see Crater Lake, ride CA Rt. 36 and south on Rt 1 to San Francisco. Hope to spend 3 weekends and 2 full weeks on the road to and from the UnRally from DC. :thumbsup:

I'll not be able to get there and back on a set of tires so once I nail down the route and mileage I'll need to order tires or send them to some predetermined spot. On my last trip out west I wasted almost a full day trying to locate tires for the bike in Tulsa, OK. :dopeslap:

Ok. Day 1: I'll be Departing NYC early July date to be determined, thru NJ into PA overnight in OHIO. Day 2: Lunch in Indiana or maybe Illinois pushing thru to Missouri or maybe Kansas. Day 3: Arriving in Colorado and staying a couple maybe a few days in search of 5 roads that are over 10 thousand ft in elevation. Which brings me to Day 5 maybe 6: Breakfast in Moab, Utah staying south making my way to Zion National park by night fall. Day 7 or 8 arriving at Topaz Lake tried and hungry. This will be my fourth consecutive UN after Partying with BMWST brethren in the Sierra Nevada’s I will be making my to Pacific coast to catch a sunset .Something I tried after the John Day, UN only to fall asleep. Then maybe on to the MOA and Ship the bike or begin my trek east.

Just Sayin.

This Itinerary is not written in stone subject to change all suggestions are welcome rendezvousing with Pied Piper would be Kuel.

This will be my fourth consecutive UN after Partying... ...rendezvousing with Pied Piper would be Kuel.

It will be good to see you again at the next UN! However, 2 thoughts occur to me:

We almost missed the ride up Mt. Washington at the last UN and if you join the Piped Piper Run it would assure us that we will see you there! :rofl:

Bob my friend,

We did indeed almost miss the ride up Mt. Washington. I like to think of it as divine intervention (remember moose meat). I’ll be the first to admit my navigational skills are lacking even with the aid of Zumo. But strangely I always manage to arrive at my destination, sometimes late.

Rendezvousing with Pied Piper would be fun, “assure us that we will see you there” I could be wrong but me thinks that the legend of said; states followers of the PP are never to be seen again. With all risks considered the fun factor out weighs the legend and I hope to participate.

I'm a little torn on what to do on the way out. Thinking a

50CC mainly because there is nothing on I10 I wish to see

two much of again and I've been wanting to do one.

I'd rather spend the time on the way back which will include Yellowstone, Devils tower,

Mount Rushmore and the black hills then meandering back to Florida.

I'm taking 3 weeks for the trip so time shouldn't be a problem.

We'll see, July is a few months away.

Sounds nice.

I think I've got three days each way for the 2500-3000 miles.

Don't know that I can do that so I may need a faster bike.

;)

Tim, as you probably want to be at the UnRally on Monday afternoon, that means you will have to leave on a weekday the previous week. What helps me a lot is to start in the afternoon right after work - sneak out a bit early - and do about 300 miles. A dinner/rest stop on the way and get to the pre-reserved motel around 10pm. It almost gains a day without losing one.

I hear you.

Beth will fly and need a ride from point X to arrive at UN by Monday.

So I have a one day window, or so, for where to get her on Sunday and later return on Friday.

Since I need to head East that may preclude points N & W.

We'll see...

Tim,

I would check flights in/out of Sacramento in addition to Reno.

Reno has only limited flights, and few are direct.

Distance from Topaz Lodge to Sacramento: 155 Mi.

Distance from Topaz Lodge to Reno: 66 Mi.

Tim, I think you are about half-ways between Atlanta and Orlando. There are probably good connections between Atlanta and Las Vegas, which would be on your way to Topaz Lake.

Paul,

Thanks, don't want to lojack this thread.

:grin:

I'll need to leave prior to Beth's departure as not even I can arrive to pick her up before the jet gets her there.

:/

She also needs to return to Tally as she heads out for a major conference from there.

So, I leave, ride a while, pick her up w/in a day of the UN and continue there.

Departure same, ride a while and let her embark most likely from same airport for her to return, and I ride a while.

I get back in time for her to turn the dog over to me.

:Cool:

Tim, if you two weren't living in the South I'd tell you to avoid Vegas in July. You'll be putting your warm weather gear to good use. :Cool:

Kathy,

You raise an heretofore unasked query.

What about the weather?

Elevations and precipitation in the summer.

Temperature variations at eelvation.

I haven't even begun to look yet.

Mesh w/rain gear?

Gerbings?

Traditional w/good venting?

will have something to look forward to this winteras we plan.

MAtt,

Could be.

Haven't scratched the research itch yet for routing, weather, time, etc.

Will stay in touch.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing with my riding plan. Before I thought of doing a one day loop out of Redding to the coast and back, on Rt. 36 and 299. Now I think to just ride to the coast and stay there toward San Francisco. Which is the better motorcycle road to the coast, 36 or 299?

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Playing with my riding plan. Before I thought of doing a one day loop out of Redding to the coast and back, on Rt. 36 and 299. Now I think to just ride to the coast and stay there toward San Francisco. Which is the better motorcycle road to the coast, 36 or 299?

36. It's a ride you will not forget.

Northern California, on the coast, south of Eureka, it goes inland from rt. 101. I know where it is, but I want to ride it! :)

Got it, Paul. Thanks. I'll be spending two weeks with my wife after the UnRally and this might fit into the plan.

• 2 weeks later...

36. It's a ride you will not forget.

36 is fantastic. 96 may be better. It's different, more sweepers, less tight switchbacks, but VERY good as well. Maybe we will need to do a pre-or-post Un-Rally Nor-Cal Road Rally. What say y'all? I could easily be talked into it!

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Any comments on rt. 3 from Yreka south to rt. 229?

I've never ridden it, but it gets good "open straights" with "wide high speed sweepers" ratings from Pashnit.com.

Oh, and any of you riding to/from the coast... be ready for a significant temperature swing on the pass closest to the coast.

"be ready for a significant temperature swing on the pass closest to the coast"

Experienced that on my way to John Day - and loved it!

Archived