IGNORED

Add on riding CA venues from the Un!

philbytx

Cali folks....need some help.

Deb and I are trailering the bike from Texas to the Un (via 10/395) but want to unload and ride for a few days there and back. Will be staying at Palm Springs (our SoCal hway pick up to TX) up and back and currently am looking at Lone Pine as the "up" base for 3 nights (?) and would like to have a North Cali base for 3 nights directly from the Un (Russian River area?) and on the way back from there to Palm Springs (to pick up 10) a 2/3 night stop adjacent to Yosemite. However, all that said, we are open to any options or suggestions (And no smart comments from Whip on riding it there and back :rofl:)!

Diamond Springs is nice. Just sayin'

We'll give you a room, a key, and leave the light on. Come and go as you please.

Russian River area would be 2-1/2 hours west and Yosemite would be the same south.

Lone Pine is nice. Make sure you catch Manzanar.

Phil,

Lone Pine is a nice little town, but very small with limited options.

Lone Pine is at one of the most interesting geological points in the contiguous USA: Lone Pine is in the 3000' range of elevation while Mt Whitney towers above to greater than 14000' a difference of about 11,000 feet. Pretty awesome...

IMO, one must do ride in that area is the Sherman Pass. Starting from US395 at Nine Mile Canyon Road (North of junction of SR14 & US395 and about 55 miles south of Lone Pine) and ending at the Kern River Hwy north of Roads End. Then down to SR178, back to US395 and Lone Pine.

CoarsegoldKid

Look for Coarsegold on your California map. It's south of Yosemite National Park on CA41. If it looks to you like a good place to ride around to and from in the area let me know. We have space. If it doesn't look like a good area then I'll have to move.

In all seriousness there are hundreds of miles of day rides from here. Several of the UN committee folks are putting together routes for you. They're just not completed yet. There is time. I have several. The one mentioned by Sagerider is one of them. My NorCal meets SoCal in the middle routes are among the others. As well as all the way to the coast. To do them all will require booking about two months of vacation.

Well, we are taking a 20 day road trip with some sightseeing and a lot of riding.

Driving on I10 from TX, I have us overnighting at towns/places we like (for instance, Casa Grande,NM before P.S.) without a long boring drive the next day (with 6 hrs being an average "road" day).

So, a two night stay at Palm Springs (there and back) will then be our "Springsboard" to and from Cali after a couple of days (cage) drive from and to central TX.

When at P.S. we'll take a ride up to Idyllwyld in the a.m. before it get's too hot.

Paul, remember, we're from TX, so heat isn't an issue :grin:

Archived