IGNORED

Droid + Google Latitude + Google Maps + Verizon Coverage = Sweet

krussell

I recently bought a new Motorola Droid with Verizon. My son happened to get one too, and he suggested we sign up for Google latitude, which allows us to get see each others location from or phone or computer. That in itself was really cool. But you can also turn on history, and google will keep recent updates of your location. It's not clear for how long, but I have several days worth so far. Only I can see the history, it is not shared or made public.

But...

You can export the history to a .kml file, and then you can create a map under mymaps in google maps and import that .kml file. Then, you get all of your history shown in a map suitable for sharing.

This past weekend I managed to get 2 1/2 days of riding in, we had spectacular weather here in Oregon, and Washington, and California. I did just under 900 miles.

So I got home and looked at my history, then did the .kml thing, and was really impressed with the result. Here's a link...

Kevin's Thanksgiving Run

The phone uses it's GPS or cell tower info depending on coverage etc. There are some obvious gaps where there was no coverage, but wherever there is you get a better track log than you do with SPOT. This is all 'free' with Verizon and Google, not sure about other carriers/phones. That is free in that it doesn't cost anything above the voice/data plan I have on my Droid.

I'm impressed.

That is pretty kewl. Google maps have come a long way. So much so, I (after being a yahoo! guy) got a google account so I could do this (riding destinations in Tampa Bay - whish I couldl get them in aphabetical order though :dopeslap:)

I have been on the fence with the Droid. Want an iPhone but won't leave Verizon so the Droid looks like the best option. What are your thoughts on it so far? How is the Bluetooth funtions? Do you interface it with a Garmin GPS or Autocom system on your bike? Please share your thoughts on the phone and interfaces with other devices. Thanks in advance,

Hawk

I left Verizon for the iPhone 3G about a 18 mos ago. AT&T is regularly useless in my area. I can receive calls about 50% of the time at my house. Pretty much anywhere else where I'm inside doesn't work well. Verizon rocks, it's so good to be back.

I like the Droid better than the iPhone. I was not an iTunes user. I do miss some finger gestures in the browser, but I'm over that. I paired it with my infinity built in hands free, and I paired it with my Zumo 660. Both worked fine in trivial tests. I have not done anything else with Bluetooth.

The browser is excellent. The voice google search is excellent. I click the mike, say BMW Western Oregon, and it brings up their website.

Camera is excellent, GPS is excellent. No issues with wifi.

They sell a dock for $29.95 that you put the thing in on your bedside table or desk at the office. It turns into a nice alarm clock with weather, etc. and charges.

For the care, there is a $29.95 suction mount. Put it in there and get excellent turn by turn driving instructions.

It integrates great with google apps like mail, calendar, and contacts. And the sync is very fast.

I use IMAP for my work email, no issues there either.

There aren't as many apps, but the important ones like weather, pandora, etc. are there.

It's a keeper for me.

Cool! I think I'm hooked. I have been trying to negotiate at Verizon but they are not real flexible with this model. I need to make sure that there are no hidden fees and that I would still get my corporate discount. I think that the data plan for smart phones is higher than what I pay with my current LG env2. I'm sure I won't be able to hold out much longer!

Hawk

Cool! I think I'm hooked. I have been trying to negotiate at Verizon but they are not real flexible with this model. I need to make sure that there are no hidden fees and that I would still get my corporate discount. I think that the data plan for smart phones is higher than what I pay with my current LG env2. I'm sure I won't be able to hold out much longer!

If you're not in a hurry -- that is, if your current phone works -- it might be worth waiting.

There are going to be more, and undoubtedly better, Android 2.0-based phones coming. The Droid, specifically, has plenty of annoying failings.

Of course, if you need a new phone (and when I got mine, I just needed a network that actually existed somewhere beyond my office, where we have a dedicated AT&T tower), the Droid's not awful. But despite what the cheerleaders write here, it's not great, either.

If you're not in a hurry -- that is, if your current phone works -- it might be worth waiting.

There are going to be more, and undoubtedly better, Android 2.0-based phones coming. The Droid, specifically, has plenty of annoying failings.

Of course, if you need a new phone (and when I got mine, I just needed a network that actually existed somewhere beyond my office, where we have a dedicated AT&T tower), the Droid's not awful. But despite what the cheerleaders write here, it's not great, either.

There will always be newer, better phones right around the corner. I agree here though, that there may be a bunch of Android 2.0 based phones any day now.

Can you elaborate on some of the plenty of annoying failings of the Droid? Are you using one, or something else?

There will always be newer, better phones right around the corner. I agree here though, that there may be a bunch of Android 2.0 based phones any day now.

Can you elaborate on some of the plenty of annoying failings of the Droid? Are you using one, or something else?

I'm using a Droid. Annoyances and failings:

• Battery cover. No latch. Easily comes off. For me, this has merely been a PITA. Others have reported nearly losing their covers. (Say what you will about the iPhone having a sealed battery, but this isn't an issue.)
  • Physical keyboard sucks. There's little feel, screen and keyboard remain in the same plane, making it difficult to use, and the array of key modifiers is tough.
  • On-screen keyboard sucks. At least, compared to the iPhone's. I've read that some of the Android phones have much better software keyboard supplied by their manufacturers.
  • Battery life. I'm lucky to make it through a whole day.
  • Placement of power button. The central placement on the iPhone makes one-handed operation much smoother and simpler, rather than requiring a reach with an index finger.
  • The lip under the screen/at the bottom of the base of the unit. The thing digs into my hand if I hold it too long.
  • Placement of the physical buttons. I can't tell you how many times when using the on-screen keyboard I've hit the back, menu, or home buttons. (Thank goodness for multi-tasking.)
  • Placement of the usb port. I can only assume they figured everyone would use the thing in landscape mode while plugged in.
  • Automatic brightness controls. It's like it's on drugs.
  • No video out. I really wish I had thought to check this feature, which I had mistakenly assumed was de rigueur on devices promising multimedia capabilities.

And the big problem is, of those, one or maybe two can be fixed by software alone.

I fixed the battery cover issue with a few pieces of duct tape applied to the inside of the cover. Gives it a bit of pressure to hold it in place better.

I do well with the on screen keyboard, and like it better than the Apple. My daughter hates it, uses the physical one, thinks it's great. I suspect my fat fingers have a lot to do with it.

The USB port is placed just right to go in to the Dock. So yes, I guess they do expect you to use it in landscape mode when plugged in.

Have you considered returning yours if you are so disappointed?

Have you considered returning yours if you are so disappointed?

Did I write that I was disappointed?

As I've said in other posts around the DB, it's a fine phone. However, based on the cheerleading from a few folks, I think it's wise to temper expectations. I could come up with a decent list of iPhone annoyances, too, but that wasn't the topic.

Archived