IGNORED

Does your RT rock on the center stand?

speedybee

I recently sold my 2003 R1150R and purchased a 2004 RT. My R would would sit firmly on the rear wheel when it was on the center stand. With my RT, while it is on the center stand, it rocks back and forth between the front and rear wheels. I am concerned that the bike could tip over more easily than if it was weighted to the rear wheel. Should I be concerned or is this normal for an RT?

Speedy

My 03 RT rests on the front wheel with empty paniers and no rear case in place. It takes about 10-20 lb on the rear rack to keep the front wheel off the ground depending on how much gas is in the tank. I find this balance quite useful for some maintenance and cleaning activities. Relax, I think your bike is normal and probably perfectly stable on the centre stand if parked on a level hard surface.

It's rather amazing just how close to CG BMW placed the center stand so, yes; my '04 RT typically sits on the rear wheel and takes very little hand pressure to lift the rear wheel.

I have no concerns about the bike's stability on the center stand, or the side stand for that matter.

twowheelsonly

Me too! I* just serviced the RT and it would easily balance & lift either the front or rear tire.. makes it pretty easy to work on..

Should I be concerned or is this normal for an RT?

Speedy

This shouldn't concern you, rather elate you. It makes for the perfect balance when servicing iether the front or the rear end. Just add weight to bias it one way or t'other. Remember to take all relevant securing proceedures if you do whip a wheel out of one end or the other (or both)!

Andy

Mine does that as well. Really handy for rotating a wheel to get at the valve stem and when cleaning the wheels. Slight pressure one way or the other will rock it gently forward or rearward. No fears at all, but as one poster said, exercise all safety precautions if removing a wheel.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance that this is normal. I guess I'm just still getting to know my RT. It is an awesome bike.

And the folks on this forum are great.

Speedy

Archived