IGNORED

Boxer engine ever used to power an aircraft

NonComp

Mind wandering: I recall that volkswagon engines were used in home-built aircraft in the 70's. Boxer engines would appear to be ideal for this application. Has a boxer engine ever been used to power an aircraft?

I found a picture of an aero application online and had the engine, mounts and PSRU on my screensaver until just a couple of days ago. If I can find it I'll post or send to you. What are you wanting to build?

The boxer must be the most common configuration for GA.
Andy, what I am curious about is literally putting a BMW motorcycle engine in an aircraft. I read the story about the boxer powered snowblower, and my imagination just kinda went from there. :)
The boxer must be the most common configuration for GA.
Andy, what I am curious about is literally putting a BMW motorcycle engine in an aircraft. I read the story about the boxer powered snowblower, and my imagination just kinda went from there. :)

Ah yes, your intent should have been obvious from the context. Sorry about the miss-read.

Andy

And while we are on this subject, radial aircraft engines have been used to power motorcycles.

And we can't forget to mention Jay Leno's jet powered motorcycle.

Not to hijack the thread - but I'm sure you realize BMW started out in the aircraft industry (the roundel is supposed to represent a airplane propellor).

My question then, is did BMW, in the early days, ever build and/or sell complete motors for airplanes? Did they have that boxer motor at the time?

Not to hijack the thread - but I'm sure you realize BMW started out in the aircraft industry (the roundel is supposed to represent a airplane propellor).

My question then, is did BMW, in the early days, ever build and/or sell complete motors for airplanes? Did they have that boxer motor at the time?

I believe during WWI they wer a major engine upplier for the German military. But I think they were mostly V configurations... Mostly V12's I think, not boxers, but I could be wrong.

Alas, BMW were using the roundel in the colours of the Bavarian flag (Blue and White) some time before they started making aero engines...

http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/roundel-myth.pdf

Andy

I think that German defence manufacturers may have been prohibitied from building anything but civilian products following the war. They may not have been able to build aircraft engines after 1945.

I think that German defence manufacturers may have been prohibitied from building anything but civilian products following the war. They may not have been able to build aircraft engines after 1945.

That's probably true, but in post war germany in 1920's, there wasn't much of a civilian market.

Archived