IGNORED

Transmission oil change interval? (2008 R1200RT) 24K? REALLY???

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

After trying to use the search function (8 pages into a search) I decided to just post this. I found the A&S R1200RT 12K + Annual service site that was listed in Ken's post up top. When I pulled it up, I was amazed to find the transmission oil fluid change to be ....

"23 00 510 Gearbox-oil change (maintenance) *) every two years or every 40,000 km"

:eek::S

What? Really? I know I have not really looked into this yet, but this took me by surprise. I am having a hard time giving up the idea that it really should be changed at 12K, especially after I have had a trans failure on my old R1100RT.

While I am at it, I didn't see the final drive fluid replacement listed there at all, much less for the 12K service. I know it was done on my 600 mile service and I have heard rumors that it was "lifetime" after that, but I find that hard to believe. I know that the fluid amount was changed to 180 ml. By the way, can you get something to measure that with at any auto parts store?

I know this has to be a bit repetitive, but I appreciate any and all replies.

Shawn

I plan to change my 09 transmission oil in the spring at about 7,000 miles. I plan on not letting go longer than 12000 miles after that. I just can't see 24K.

The final drive fluid is now changed at the 600 mile service. Last I saw, BMW backed away from the lifetime fill, but does not require final drive change following that 600 mile initial service. I changed my 2009 RT final drive again at 6,000 miles during rear tire change. Nothing to it. But, I drained out just over 240 milliliters which means it was overfilled at the 600 mile service by 20 milliliters as BMW did require a 220 milliliter replacement fill. BMW now wants a 180 ml fill because they feel it would lead to fewer seal failures. I split the difference at 200 ml. which is a little less than 3/4 of an ounce difference. Cooling, wear, etc was considerd by BMW at 220 and now we are worried about seals. These are sealed units and are not vented. They should not be overfilled to 240+.

I used the household Pirex measuring cup. My wife kept commenting about the pretty rainbow we saw on the turkey yesterday:) I told her it was not a real rainbow, but synthetic...

I don't understand why you have a problem with 24K transmission oil change intervals. Many small car automotive manual transmissions are filled for life, and I am not hearing about transmission failures on these bikes, at least that are related to a lubricant failure. And no, the gearboxes on these bikes aren't really stressed more than than the gearboxes on small cars.

My understanding is the current final drive oil change interval is 12,000 miles, probably to account for the reduction in fluid.

EDIT: If your final drive has a 9' o clock drain plug, 180 ML is roughly the level of the bottom of the drain, when the final drive is back in position.

I think BMW's recommendation is OK, especially since they specify a synthetic gear oil. The internal bearings are sealed, and most BMW transmission failures have a specific cause that has nothing to do with lube issues. That said, there's no reason you can't change it at 12k if that would make you feel more comfortable.

Per subsequent service bulletins the final drive should indeed have regular fluid changes, at 12 or 24k (can't remember which right now, someone will no doubt update.) The fill is now 180 ml, and there is a nifty 2-cycle oil mixing syringe at Walmart (called the 'Miximizer', on a red card) that has a 60 ml capacity, so three squirts with that and you're done. Some also use make-up bottles with a spout and calibrate them to 180 ml... there are many options.

BMW now specifies, in its Maintenance Schedules for the R 1200 RT, FD fluid changes (or as they say, "oil change, rear wheel drive") every two years or every 20,000 kms (that's after the initial change at the 600 mile running-in check). The gearbox oil change is every two years or every 40,000 kms. That's from the "Annual Inspection" maintenance schedule (dated 09/2009) which I have right in front of me.

I used the household Pirex measuring cup. My wife kept commenting about the pretty rainbow we saw on the turkey yesterday:) I told her it was not a real rainbow, but synthetic...

Love it! :rofl:

To my wife's relief, I finally gave up on using turkey basters for vehicle maintenance tasks. If you for some reason have to visit someone in a hospital, especially an ICU, if you ask politely you may be able to cadge some used, calibrated 50 ml syringes; hospital staff use once and discard, but your motorcycle isn't going to catch anything from them. Very handy tool for precisely measuring and dispensing small quantities of fluid into small openings.

Shawn, I replace my tranny fluid every 12k, recommended schedule be damned. It's what, maybe 12 bucks of Poyal Purple? Worth it to me.

As for the FD, I've never understood the logic behind gear oil lasting forever. If there were some Hokey Pokey magic going on in there, mine wouldn't have needed replacing a few weeks ago at 23k.

For measurement, I got a CC cup at Cycle Gear. If you don't have one in town, check with a good dirt bike shop, they should have one. But a plastic baby bottle works just as well.

Lone_RT_rider
Shawn, I replace my tranny fluid every 12k, recommended schedule be damned. It's what, maybe 12 bucks of Poyal Purple? Worth it to me.

And that's where I think I am at with it too. I am at least going to give it a shot this time. My R1100RT always shifted much better if I kept on top of the oil changes. And besides.... even when I did all the trans oil changes on the R11RT, I still got this.....

291019759_NQay5-M.jpg

291019713_2mThy-M.jpg

291019548_WDNTk-M.jpg

if you ask politely you may be able to cadge some used, calibrated 50 ml syringes; hospital staff use once and discard, but your motorcycle isn't going to catch anything from them. Very handy tool for precisely measuring and dispensing small quantities of fluid into small openings.

Places such as Tractor supply also sell syringes in various sizes for medicinal animal uses. You will be required to sign a form for some reason in NYS for that, not sure about other states though. Afterall, we are taking care of our horses right? four legs two wheels- there is a correlation to it.

BTW I'll change it with the FD every season along with a brake fluid flush. A little anal I know but look at the track record for breakdown posts in various forums.

if you ask politely you may be able to cadge some used, calibrated 50 ml syringes; hospital staff use once and discard, but your motorcycle isn't going to catch anything from them. Very handy tool for precisely measuring and dispensing small quantities of fluid into small openings.

Places such as Tractor supply also sell syringes in various sizes for medicinal animal uses. You will be required to sign a form for some reason in NYS for that, not sure about other states though. Afterall, we are taking care of our horses right? four legs two wheels- there is a correlation to it.

BTW I'll change it with the FD every season along with a brake fluid flush. A little anal I know but look at the track record for breakdown posts in various forums.

Typically, you can buy a syringe with no hassle, it's the needles that are generally restricted. I myself use a 50 mL horse syringe for servicing my final drive.

I would add when I changed the final drive @ 6,000 the fluid was dark and had streaks of black through it. Probably just more manufacturing goop, but I was glad I changed it. I replaced it with the super expensive ($25.00 a quart) BMW branded synthetic from Spectro which contains red dye.

There is a mixing 'syringe' sold at most supply stores that sell chain saws, used for doing the proper mix of oil in gas for 2 strokes. It is in CC but ml = cc so no problem.

Although I have used the medical type in the past this has a much bigger bore and pulls the fluid better and dispenses easier as well.

For the price oil and crush washers, I change the fluids, only way to make sure nothing untoward is lurking in the recesses.

I plan to change my 09 transmission oil in the spring at about 7,000 miles. I plan on not letting go longer than 12000 miles after that. I just can't see 24K.

The final drive fluid is now changed at the 600 mile service. Last I saw, BMW backed away from the lifetime fill, but does not require final drive change following that 600 mile initial service. I changed my 2009 RT final drive again at 6,000 miles during rear tire change. Nothing to it. But, I drained out just over 240 milliliters which means it was overfilled at the 600 mile service by 20 milliliters as BMW did require a 220 milliliter replacement fill. BMW now wants a 180 ml fill because they feel it would lead to fewer seal failures. I split the difference at 200 ml. which is a little less than 3/4 of an ounce difference. Cooling, wear, etc was considerd by BMW at 220 and now we are worried about seals. These are sealed units and are not vented. They should not be overfilled to 240+.

:rofl:

I last had my transmission fluid changed at 19,000 miles and just changed it again at 42,620 miles. The fluid was clear and clean, looked brand new. The tranny on the RT is separate from the engine oil and therefore does not get contamination from cold starts as does engine oil.

In my opinion the tranny fluid can go quite a long ways before needing a change.

I agree... most folks never change the tranny fluid in the car manual transmission and never have a problem.

That being said, it's so easy to do on the bike... I do mine annually regardless of the mileage.

Archived