IGNORED

Apple Airport Extreme...extremely annoying

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Does anyone have a clue why an airport will not obtain a router address and dns automatically.

As of this morning, the airport joins the iphone as a semi-useless, but very expensive paperweight.

TIA

...and, yes, it's been rebooted, reset, etc. Nothing I read in the forums, apple support have worked.

I have a good connection to the net, but when the airport is connected, it blinks amber and fails to connect.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

russell_bynum
Does anyone have a clue why an airport will not obtain a router address and dns automatically.

As of this morning, the airport joins the iphone as a semi-useless, but very expensive paperweight.

TIA

...and, yes, it's been rebooted, reset, etc. Nothing I read in the forums, apple support have worked.

I have a good connection to the net, but when the airport is connected, it blinks amber and fails to connect.

It's an Apple product, so fortunately there's a standard set of troubleshooting procedures that you can go through.

Have you tried:

1. Wearing a black turtleneck and growing a half-assed goatee?

2. Wearing an obnoxiously bright solid color T-shirt, accessorized with an iPod shuffle hanging from your neck and the earphones in your ears at all times?

3. Developing a smug attitude and saying things like "My MAC " (always type "Mac" in all caps, btw), "is completely intuitive and never has problems."

More than likely, one of these things will fix the problem. If not, the device has probably been sabotaged by a covert Big Microsoft (In keeping with the spirit of the times, I have used the standard technique of vilifying something simply by putting the word "big" in front of it.) field agent to make Apple products appear to be anything less than the flawlessly perfect gifts from God that they are.

John Ranalletta
Have you tried:

2. Wearing an obnoxiously bright solid color T-shirt, accessorized with an iPod shuffle hanging from your neck and the earphones in your ears at all times?

3. Developing a smug attitude and saying things like "My MAC " (always type "Mac" in all caps, btw), "is completely intuitive and never has problems."

You'd think they'd include these instructions for non-Mac acolytes.

The router simply would not gather connection data from the modem, but then, magically, it did.

TIA

It's an Apple product, so fortunately there's a standard set of troubleshooting procedures that you can go through.

Have you tried:

More than likely, one of these things will fix the problem. If not, the device has probably been sabotaged by a covert Big Microsoft (In keeping with the spirit of the times, I have used the standard technique of vilifying something simply by putting the word "big" in front of it.) field agent to make Apple products appear to be anything less than the flawlessly perfect gifts from God that they are.

Now that there is just plain funny (typed on my MacBook Pro). :)

....If not, the device has probably been sabotaged by a covert Big Microsoft (In keeping with the spirit of the times, I have used the standard technique of vilifying something simply by putting the word "big" in front of it.)
Russell, you have forgotten an important point withing the convention. You must shorten the name of the entity you are vilifying. Big agri, big pharma and big Micro....

I've had a number of cable modems over the years which came from the cable company configured to only allow a single mac address (the unique hardware identifier of every network device) to talk to them. When you plug in a new device, you had to reboot the cable modem or else it wouldn't allow it on the network. I wonder if you suffered something similar - maybe it had a long timeout if you didn't reboot.

John Ranalletta

Sam, I set the router back to oem specs and re-created the wireless network; set the cable modem and router off for 5 minutes and when they started, the airport fetched the data it needed. Thanks.

This is my first airport and it's purposed to provide wireless connections, share a printer and a MyBook USB drive. Periodically, users will lose access to the USB drive which is painful because computers on the network are backed up to the USB and my iTunes library resides there.

my airport express gets sent music over my wifi. It periodically drops out and seems subject to physical bodies interfering with it moreso than non apple wifi devices. I know, this is different than what you have but I wonder about antennas.

In the case of the airport express I have, a difference of 2 feet makes a big impact because it removes a large chimney from between the airport express and my wireless router.

PS I have the half assed goatee, but if I put on a turtle neck I can't breath because lacking a proper neck, it slides up around the middle of my pie hole region. That's some funny stuff there Russell.

russell_bynum

PS I have the half assed goatee, but if I put on a turtle neck I can't breath because lacking a proper neck, it slides up around the middle of my pie hole region. That's some funny stuff there Russell.

:grin:

TIA

Have you tried:

Now that there is just plain funny (typed on my MacBook Pro). :)

Yes, that is funny, (typed on my MacBook Pro that had to be replaced after 60 days despite Apple rep #2 trying to go back on the arrangement to replace set up by Apple rep #1)

Archived