IGNORED

Do bike shows sell bikes?

VinnyR11

Interesting article HERE talking about major manufacturers not participating in Int'l bike shows. Honda and Yamaha didn't partake in Milan, and according to the article, Harley Davidson and Honda are not going to participate in the UK show in Birmingham.

I agree with the manufacturer's take: "Some makers find that it’s more productive in real sales terms to send a lorry carrying a full demo fleet to different dealers around the country than being at the international shows. They also argue that the cost of taking part in the big shows is becoming prohibitive."

I love bike shows, but have never ever bought a bike solely on it. Mostly I like to look at "dream" bikes, or beauties that just aren't practical for me to spend my $$ on. Riding a friend's bike or demos have had dramatic influence on what I buy. In my much younger days, riding a friend's Kawi got me into bikes in the first place.

So, assuming they can't do both, do you think manufacturers are better off spending their limited marketing dollars on more demos, bike shows, or maybe something else?

I think it is up to them.

I did buy one bike, with a coupon from the show, a Kawasaki, because then I got a free jacket when I bought the bike. But I was going to buy the bike before I went to the show, I only confirmed that at the show and got the coupon for the jacket, then bought the bike. I would have bought without the jacket and without the show.

dc

I'm not sure....I have never bought a bike b/c of a bike show. I have talked with many owners of the bike I was interested in and did not homework about them..

I have walked into a dealership and bought a bike sight unseen though....I am trying to get help and after 37 years nothing has worked! :P

I haven't been to the Int'l show in many years but there have been demos set up by some in the past. A demo does more for me. However BMW used to have some impressive displays showing the advantages of tele/paralever designs. Although it only confirmed what I felt riding one, I could see it persuading a person not familiar with it. It gives manufactures a chance to show off what seperates themselves from others.

I worked several of the Cycle World shows in Washington DC The way it worked is that BMWNA set up the show, have one or two people there of their own, and local dealers send their guys to take care of the visitors. In our case there were three local dealers helping out and obviously each trying to get people to come and visit the shop.

It worked. Usually we got 4 to 5 sales shortly after the show, and during the year coming to visit brandishing our business card they got at the show.

I worked several of the Cycle World shows in Washington DC The way it worked is that BMWNA set up the show, have one or two people there of their own, and local dealers send their guys to take care of the visitors. In our case there were three local dealers helping out and obviously each trying to get people to come and visit the shop.

It worked. Usually we got 4 to 5 sales shortly after the show, and during the year coming to visit brandishing our business card they got at the show.

I guess that's a key ingredient, or maybe THE key ingredient to shows. It's how well you work them.

It does cost the manufacturers a lot of money to do these shows, and it will be interesting to see who participates.

Last weekend I attended the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show in San Mateo, CA. For various legitimate reasons (but mainly my obsessive nature) I went all three days. The show was a little smaller than last year, but still enjoyable of course. No Aprilia, no Triumph, no KTM, no Moto Guzzi, no Victory, a lot fewer Taiwanese and Chinese scooters, and of course since Harley has pulled the plug on Buell and is trying to sell MV Augusta, those bikes weren't there either. The Suzuki display was small, and half the vehicles were ATVs, which perhaps isn't surprising since the word is that Suzuki won't even bring in 2010 models unless demand picks up. The Ural (Russian made copy of WWII era BMW sidecar rig) display was interesting and quite a few people seemed intrigued by the rigs - there must be a lot of riders who just can't be separated from their dog when they go camping. Perfectly understandable. There were a couple of large displays of three-wheelers (Can-am, T-rex), vehicles that I've never understood. Ducati had a large display, surprising considering their small number of US sales.

There was a vintage motorcycle display in a separate building; Triumphs, BSAs, Norton, early Japanese bikes (50's), somewhat later Japanese bikes from the 60's and 70's, Rudge, Velocette, and even a bike with a Maytag washing machine engine.

BMW North America didn't have an official BMW presence, but the 10 (yes, 10 - we are blessed!) northern California BMW dealers got together and put up a very clever display. It had three sides; one was an adventure/safari theme (jungle setting) with the GS bikes, the second was the touring theme (the front of a 50's era motel) with the RT and standard bikes, and the third was the sport setting (a race shop with big tool chest and racing fuel drum) with the K1300S. Each setting had an appropriately dressed young lady answering questions and handing out literature, and there were also representatives from local dealers.

For me the star of the show was the new Honda VFR1200. It was on a rotating platform so you couldn't sit on it, but from the specs it will be a great sport-tourer, assuming traditioinal Honda reliability.

To answer your question, I've never bought a bike based solely on a visit to a motorcycle show, but I have used a visit to the show to check out bikes I'm interested in. From a local riders' forum the demo rides were very popular and well attended.

peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA

Having seen a few non MC industry shows "grow up" to become fairly big deals and "must attend" events, it has become obvious that the #2 reason for such shows is to provide manufacturers a venue in which to grow the pie. The #1 reason, however, is so the organization that sponsors the event can make money. NAMM, the musical products trade association, makes millions on the two shows it puts on. Another show I won't mention by name has now jumped the shark too.

While there is no substitute for good 'ol fashioned pressing of the flesh, the costs of these shows is becoming obscene. Manufacturers have a lot more incentive and tools at their disposal now to get the job done better and cheaper.

Last weekend I attended the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show in San Mateo, CA. For various legitimate reasons (but mainly my obsessive nature) I went all three days. The show was a little smaller than last year, but still enjoyable of course. No Aprilia, no Triumph, no KTM, no Moto Guzzi, no Victory, a lot fewer Taiwanese and Chinese scooters, and of course since Harley has pulled the plug on Buell and is trying to sell MV Augusta, those bikes weren't there either. The Suzuki display was small, and half the vehicles were ATVs, which perhaps isn't surprising since the word is that Suzuki won't even bring in 2010 models unless demand picks up. The Ural (Russian made copy of WWII era BMW sidecar rig) display was interesting and quite a few people seemed intrigued by the rigs - there must be a lot of riders who just can't be separated from their dog when they go camping. Perfectly understandable. There were a couple of large displays of three-wheelers (Can-am, T-rex), vehicles that I've never understood. Ducati had a large display, surprising considering their small number of US sales.

There was a vintage motorcycle display in a separate building; Triumphs, BSAs, Norton, early Japanese bikes (50's), somewhat later Japanese bikes from the 60's and 70's, Rudge, Velocette, and even a bike with a Maytag washing machine engine.

BMW North America didn't have an official BMW presence, but the 10 (yes, 10 - we are blessed!) northern California BMW dealers got together and put up a very clever display. It had three sides; one was an adventure/safari theme (jungle setting) with the GS bikes, the second was the touring theme (the front of a 50's era motel) with the RT and standard bikes, and the third was the sport setting (a race shop with big tool chest and racing fuel drum) with the K1300S. Each setting had an appropriately dressed young lady answering questions and handing out literature, and there were also representatives from local dealers.

For me the star of the show was the new Honda VFR1200. It was on a rotating platform so you couldn't sit on it, but from the specs it will be a great sport-tourer, assuming traditioinal Honda reliability.

To answer your question, I've never bought a bike based solely on a visit to a motorcycle show, but I have used a visit to the show to check out bikes I'm interested in. From a local riders' forum the demo rides were very popular and well attended.

peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA

I wasnt able to make that show since I was on my way to pick up a new bike but that was an excellent review for someone not able to attend. Thank you!

Archived