IGNORED

Help with malfunctioning vehicle alarm system!

KMG_365

Hey all,

We bought a 1997 Geo Prizm (sic) new with a Goodwrench VSS-100 alarm system. We recently had the clutch replaced and when they reconnected the battery the valet switch will no longer engage (it alarms ALL the time). We haven't used the alarm in YEARS (we've kept it in valet mode all the time) and Leslie is going to kill me if I don't figure out how to turn the damn alarm back off (valet mode) or disable it for good. We won't miss it if it's easy to remove since we haven't used it in ten years.

There's no keypad or fob, just a toggle switch and a button under the dash for temporarily disabling the alarm. You're supposed to be able to disarm the alarm with the button and then with the key on, flip the valet toggle switch and then it will not arm when you shut it off. But now there is no combination of key position, button presses or toggle position that will keep the alarm from arming. Dealing with the groceries, grandbaby and car seats, etc. this is getting old VERY fast.

Thanks in advance! :grin:

Plan A: go crazy with wire cutters

Plan B: have your grandchild dropped off and your groceries picked up on the way.

Plan C: become hermits thereby alienating your family and do some serious fasting.

Have you considered that it isn't a theft alarm but that after 12 yrs. it's the Geo's self destruct warning?

:wave:

Jamie, I would start by looking for the power source. The obvious places would be the battery and the fuse block since the alarm needs a constant power source. It should be easy to spot any 'add on" wire or fuse block tap. Just disable the whole thing.

The presumably harder course would be to trace the wires from the switch to the alarm control module.

Jamie, if you permanently disconnect the battery, the alarm will not function. Problem solved.

...what I really meant to say was, Happy Thanksgiving :wave:!

Your Prizm of that gen is the same car as a Toyota Corolla of that gen I believe. As I recall that alarm had a in-line fuse for power to it. Regardless though, defeating the power to it will not effect anything else. Trace the power wire, look for a in-line fuse or larger than the other red wires, and remove the fuse/disconnect/cut it; should be all it takes.

As others have said, just go to the source of constant power. My guess is that it would be that big red wire connected to that box looking thing that looks like a battery. Cut that and your worries should be over.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Many car's factory alarms are merely a module that is plugged in to a pre-wired connector under the dash. Have you looked for the module? If you find it, unplug it.

I'm betting Leslie rigged this so she could drive the new car instead.

Like others said, look for a box under the dash with lots of wires that (probably) looks sloppily installed. Or trace the wires back from the toggle switch. I'd offer to help, but as you know I'm still not in "climbing under the dashboard" shape.

I'm betting Leslie rigged this so she could drive the new car instead.

Like others said, look for a box under the dash with lots of wires that (probably) looks sloppily installed. Or trace the wires back from the toggle switch. I'd offer to help, but as you know I'm still not in "climbing under the dashboard" shape.

What new car???

...I'd offer to help, but as you know I'm still not in "climbing under the dashboard" shape.

I'd think you'd be the ideal candidate for such work. Afterall, you have what amounts to an extra joint...great for getting into tight spaces!

Jerry Johnston

I could mail you a schematic of the alarm that was installed in the Nissan 1980-Z that we had installed about 8yrs ago. I'd disable it too but it also controls door locks. It has the same little toggle switch on the dash that you're looking to connect.

Hay Jamie,

Sure fix...

Find the battery; usually a big black thingy under the hood (AKA bonnet). You'll find a big red wire attached to it--cut it. You won't hear from your alarm anymore.

Of course you won't hear from your car either, but it will certainly fix your alarm problem.

Hope this helps

Slyder

Archived