IGNORED

I got a little clunk.

Whip

R1150 GS Adventure

When riding over small sharp imperfections in the road it feels like somethin is loose. I thought it was in the front, but now that it is getting worse I think it is coming from the rear section of the bike.

It feels like the shock is loose....but it ain't.

When I slow down it gets even more pronounced.

What should I check????

Clip~

What should I check????

Whip, EVERYTHING that COULD be loose..

Start with the easy things like rear wheel,, final drive bearing,, & rear swing arm bushings then mover on to shock attachments & frame bolts..

It might help to bump on things with a soft rubber or rawhide mallet..

I might even be internal to the shock itself (difficult to find those)..

Twisty

I would start at the suspension. Start from the bottom of the front fork. Check the axle and clamp, then move up to the calipers, ball joint, shock mounts upper and lower. Do the same thing in the rear. You may be able to put the bike on the center stand and bounce each end to see if you can hear the clunk. Wiggle the tires while on the center stand look for any horizontal or vertical movement.

Apply the front brake and rock the bike back and forth. Same for the rear.

Please let us know what you find.

David

I assume it's a new noise?

And I'll suppose you haven't doen anything lately to the bike, right?

You say "clunk", is there a sound?

Slowing down makes it worse, how?

Are you using brake or rolling off throttle to slow down?

Can you hear anything when you put bike on centerstand and grab components and shake them?

How is it getting worse?

Louder?

More movement of some sort?

Are you missing any tools from the last work you did?

Does it seem to be in the subframe?

If not seat, pegs, bars, where are you feeling the sumptin loose?

Bags on or off, does it matter?

I assume it's a new noise?

Hard to say, I think it has been there since I bought the bike in July.

And I'll suppose you haven't doen anything lately to the bike, right?

I guess if it's been there from the beginning..

You say "clunk", is there a sound?

No sound, or not that I know of, I wear ear plugs???

Slowing down makes it worse, how?

It becomes more pronounced and easier to identify.

Are you using brake or rolling off throttle to slow down?

Does not matter.

Can you hear anything when you put bike on centerstand and grab components and shake them?

Nothin so far.

How is it getting worse?

Louder?

More movement of some sort?

It seems to be more predictable. I did not always feel it, now I do.

Are you missing any tools from the last work you did?

Does it seem to be in the subframe?

I don't know.

If not seat, pegs, bars, where are you feeling the sumptin loose?

Bags on or off, does it matter?

Bags are on, I'll try it with them off, but they sure seem tight.

My clunk, clunk, clunk, was the rear driveshaft U joint. I pushed the bike with the engine off and out of gear. Clunks from back of bike? drive shaft or rear end area maybe. At speed the clunk was a loud rattle though so you probably have a different problem. As for shocks sometimes I have had to dismount them to find a chunk of the rubber bushing missing on my truck. This led to occasional clunks.

Been there since you got it, no "noise", but a feeling that something is loose.

Not a specific component like handlebars.

Slow ride w/out earplugs yet?

Nothing loose in the bags.

Does Mrs. report any feedback, changes over time, she notices?

Have you checked rear subframe?

Anyone who can ride it for you that has GS background?

Have you tried coasting in neutral, flat, up, down, or even w/power off a downhill roll to see if the feeling is still there?

Not wheel flex from spoke problems.

This is going to keep me up at night.

:lurk:

Been there since you got it, no "noise", but a feeling that something is loose.

Not a specific component like handlebars.....Bars are good

Slow ride w/out earplugs yet?... Tomorrow

Nothing loose in the bags.... only rain gear in bags

Does Mrs. report any feedback, changes over time, she notices?

Nope

Have you checked rear subframe?... Tomorrow

Anyone who can ride it for you that has GS background? Tasker

Have you tried coasting in neutral, flat, up, down, or even w/power off a downhill roll to see if the feeling is still there?

Did all of the above....no change.

Not wheel flex from spoke problems.

How do I check this????

This is going to keep me up at night.

:lurk: Sorry, but I appreciate the help.

:wave:

I once had a top shock mounting hole , on the shock itself wear out, and it caused slop. I had it re-sleeved and it was perfect after that.

On a similar note, if somebody has changed out the shocks and wasn't paying close attention, they could have put the front shock back in missing one or of the rubber biscuits that go on both sides of the top mounting hole. That'll give you a clunk.

• 3 weeks later...

It's still there, I'm waiting till somethin breaks or I figure it out.

I ain't smart enough.

I ride it everyday.

I wish it was a noise I would just turn up the ZUMO.

:dopeslap:

Maybe paralever bearings are headin' south...

Sit on bike and activate rear suspension. Notchiness and clunking will be apparent if this is the case.

Also grab rear wheel while on the centrestand if ya have one. Play at 6 and 9 may also indicate problem.

Good luck.

MB>

Whip, The only odd sound that my 04 1150 adventure with 70K on it. (other than coming from me) was a buzz sound that was only there for a second at a certain rpm. after searching for a long time found it was one of the bolt tabs on the crash bars had broke off, letting the bar just barely touch the tank at a certain rpm and make noise. Bike was never down or dropped. Don't know why it broke. Doesn't sound like your noise but you never know. Also when it starts to run like crap, go straight to the stick coils. Have replaced 2 so far.

Marty

Maybe paralever bearings are headin' south...

Sit on bike and activate rear suspension. Notchiness and clunking will be apparent if this is the case.

Also grab rear wheel while on the centrestand if ya have one. Play at 6 and 9 may also indicate problem.

Good luck.

MB>

Tried...nothin.

Kickstand or centerstand bouncing up and down...?

Naw...thats too simple.....besides,you probably already checked that... :wave:

I zip tied em and road the bike....no change.

Whip, The only odd sound that my 04 1150 adventure with 70K on it. (other than coming from me) was a buzz sound that was only there for a second at a certain rpm. after searching for a long time found it was one of the bolt tabs on the crash bars had broke off, letting the bar just barely touch the tank at a certain rpm and make noise. Bike was never down or dropped. Don't know why it broke. Doesn't sound like your noise but you never know. Also when it starts to run like crap, go straight to the stick coils. Have replaced 2 so far.

Marty

A while back I prolly found the same tab broken. Right side rear. I was sure that was it, so I took the entire guard system off the bike. The buzziness did go down some, but the clunk/crunch is still there.

I'm kinda getting used to it now.

Thanks

Have you checked the muffler?

Pull it off & shake it around. Maybe something's come loose inside.

I tried that. I even bought the Happy Trails lowering device and new hanger.

I put it below the bag instead of behind it cause it looked like it could be touching/rattling.

It feels like there may be a little extra play...crunch sound when I disengage and reengage the clutch at walking speeds.

??????

U-Joint?????

It feels like there may be a little extra play...crunch sound when I disengage and reengage the clutch at walking speeds./quote]

That particular clunk is pretty normal, it’s the clutch diaphragm spring. Besides, your clucking occurs when riding with the clutch released, yes? And is not related to power applied / rolled off, right? (Which is when U-joint play typically shows up.)

Not that I’m helping much...

Have you road it with a pillion? Does that make a difference? Can the pillion hear anything that might help pinpoint the location?

It feels like there may be a little extra play...crunch sound when I disengage and reengage the clutch at walking speeds./quote]

That particular clunk is pretty normal, it’s the clutch diaphragm spring. Besides, your clucking occurs when riding with the clutch released, yes? And is not related to power applied / rolled off, right? (Which is when U-joint play typically shows up.)

Not that I’m helping much...

Have you road it with a pillion? Does that make a difference? Can the pillion hear anything that might help pinpoint the location?

Ken your right....it even happens with the motor off and the clutch pulled in at 40 mph.

Maybe the clunk is in your helmet. Seems to be the only place you haven't checked.

Just a guess.

:grin:

• 5 weeks later...

Brother Lime had a Tech Day yesterday. He had geniuses everywhere. Seth came up with a good idea. Lets put your bike on the center stand and start it. Put it in gear and let the clutch out.

So we did. I let the clutch out and Seth stepped back like he thought it was gonna grenade right in from of him. It made a sound that cannot be described. Greg listened to it and they thought maybe it was gonna explode at any moment. Greg offered me his bike to ride home. Seth made it very clear that my bike was not safe on the road. Somethin really bad was gonna happen.....at any moment.

I told him it had been making these noises since Torrey.

The consensus is one of my u-joints is about to explode, but no one could explain how it had lasted this long sounding this bad. It's really a metal on metal banging/clanging/crunching noise.

Anyway.....the job sounds like more than I wanna tackle so I'm gonna trailer the bike over to my man Hank tomorrow and let him tear it apart. I hope it ain't the tranny.

At least the Katoom is still going strong.....

More later...

Calvin  (no socks)

Keep us posted... At least it has been giving a warning......I have heard some hellish noises on cars... have repaired and driven them into the ground. It just a frickin machine. :thumbsup:

I was there, but am not one of the geniuses. My role was to keep the rear tire in the air so the geniuses could listen to the noise with the engine running, in first gear. Limecreek stuck a screwdriver in his ear. As Whip mentioned, the Man Who Can't Live

By The Rules was certain the whole thing would explode any second.

My two cents is in describing: that sound is FUUNNNKKY:

I said a boom-chaka-laka-laka, boom-chaka-laka-laka.

Boom-chaka-laka-laka, boom!

Relating to sounds with words is not easy. I will say, the first time I started a BMW on the center stand and put it in gear was a not a pleasant sounding experience. The drive line lash created a movement, jerkiness and sounds like what you wrote. It scared me; BTW, the bike was fine.

I was there, but am not one of the geniuses. My role was to keep the rear tire in the air so the geniuses could listen to the noise with the engine running, in first gear. Limecreek stuck a screwdriver in his ear. As Whip mentioned, the Man Who Can't Live

By The Rules was certain the whole thing would explode any second.

Sly & The Family Stone?

The first report is in.

My pinion bearings are no so good.

What's a pinion bearing?????

Not very expensive, $45 a piece and I need two of them.

They are behind the big bolts in the drive shaft cover.

I may have the wrong name.

Anyway, while it's apart everything is gonna get inspected.

;)

The first report is in.

My pinion bearings are no so good.

What's a pinion bearing?????

Not very expensive, $45 a piece and I need two of them.

They are behind the big bolts in the drive shaft cover.

I may have the wrong name.

Anyway, while it's apart everything is gonna get inspected.

;)

As in Rack and Pinion?

Pics would be nice if you have the chance.

Those are pivot bearings. They should have nothing to do with the driveshaft noise you heard if the bike is stationary, running in gear, on the center stand.

Hey Glen

Pivot --- Pinion

Femur --- Fibula

I get em all confused.

He's gonna check the rest of the "joints" when he tears into it.

I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks

There are four pivot bearings in the drive shaft housing: two large ones in the front and two small 'needle' bearings in the rear (at the final drive). The small needle bearings are a very common wear item. Some people replace them with bushings, which wear better. Worn needle bearings will result in a bit of movement when you wiggle the rear wheel.

Pinion gears drive the crown gears... 90 degree applications in our case.

Pinion gears are the smaller gears in these drive units. They are supported by bearings for and aft of the gear. The noise you probably heard was worn bearings that transferred noise into your driveshaft housing.

If you put the tip of a screwdriver on the outside of the affected area (housing) and put your ear to the handle of the screwdriver you would have heard and been able to pinpoint the noise.

Did you have any water in your drive fluid when it was drained?

Glad you are on the road to recovery.

MB>

Archived