IGNORED

2009 1200RT Valve Clearance Adjustments

49Rooster

I'm new to BMW's AND mechanically challenged!!!!

Can anyone tell me why it is necessary to perform valve clearance adjustments every 6,000 miles on a 09 1200RT???? Bought it new & have approx 13k---rather ride than wrench---dealer is performing the service so I don't have warranty issues---my wife says this BMW stuff is getting damn expensive!!!

If you guys get too technical I will have to get my youngest son to explain your replies to his challenged father.

Rooster

Let me take a crack at this.... others correct me if I am wrong.

The engine does not have hydraulic valve lifters (like cars) which are self adjusting. Thus, the adjustments must be made manually. The adjustments are needed since, as the engine breaks in, the edges of the valves flare slightly as they become mated with the valve seats. This results in a slightly longer total valve length which narrows the gap between the end of the valve stem and the rocker arm. This gap must be restored and is the reason for the periodic adjustment. Once the engine is broken in there may be no adjustment needed but should still be checked.

Hey 49... by the way... my 2005 RT, same as yours- motor-wise... was not broken in till something past 18k miles... valves were finding their "happy spot" (sorry for the technical term).

I'm new to BMW's AND mechanically challenged!!!!

Can anyone tell me why it is necessary to perform valve clearance adjustments every 6,000 miles on a 09 1200RT???? Bought it new & have approx 13k---rather ride than wrench---dealer is performing the service so I don't have warranty issues---my wife says this BMW stuff is getting damn expensive!!!

If you guys get too technical I will have to get my youngest son to explain your replies to his challenged father.

Rooster

IMHO You should really consider doing it yourself. The cost is minimal, and it is not that hard. Here is a pictorial of a standard service, in part: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_24K.html

Look around and you can find most of the other items.

Here is a pdf that explains what each service needs: http://www.r1200gs.info/R1200GS-Maintenance-Schedules.pdf

Jim :Cool:

Thanks for the input. I plan to do the adjustments myself once my warranty expires---afraid if I do it now & have valve issues I might find I've voided the warranty????

Just how much service work can you perform yourself during the warranty period without potentially having warranty issues????

I've had a local Ducati dealer do some work--- my BMW dealer is 100 mi away. My BMW salesman almost dropped his teeth when I told him this---even though the local guy performs service on the city's police RTs????

I have an '08 RT that's still under warranty, & I do ALL routine service myself. As long as you keep records, & maintain the service schedule, you won't have any problems if a warranty issue comes up. My FD was replaced a couple weeks ago, at 23k, & no questions were raised to me about service.

Also, there are regular Tech Daze held in various parts of our state throughout the year. Keep an eye on the Ride & Event Planning section, & join the next one you see.

If you go now to your local BMW dealer and have him adjust your valves, as soon as he is through adjusting your valves, he will then adjust the valves on a Ducati or Triumph. :D

aggieengineer

Warranty coverage can be complicated. The dealer can deny warranty work if he doesn't like your haircut. The law is on your side, but you still may have to go as far as legal action to get your due. And, lawyers don't work for free. No warranty policeman is going to come to your assistance.

I do my own work because I enjoy it, and know that it will be done correctly. I also know that it may be scrutinized if I go in for coverage on an engine problem. It's a small gamble I'm comfortable making. In any case, it couldn't hurt to ask the dealer's opinion if one was curious.

A big ditto on that JVB production DVD. The subject of valve adjustment comes up periodically on this forum and I've recommended Jim's DVD every time each time I've seen it.

I don't know Jim and I'm not in position to receive any benefit from my testimonial, but I was just so impressed with his method that I've always felt I should say something.

Nice work Jim.

A big ditto on that JVB production DVD. The subject of valve adjustment comes up periodically on this forum and I've recommended Jim's DVD every time each time I've seen it.

I don't know Jim and I'm not in position to receive any benefit from my testimonial, but I was just so impressed with his method that I've always felt I should say something.

Nice work Jim.

Thanks, I am always glad to hear my DVDs helped someone! :thumbsup:

I have an igmo question regarding valve adj: bike is sitting down in the garage, ambient temps are above 65. Is there any reason to warm the bike up before adjusting valves?

I have an igmo question regarding valve adj: bike is sitting down in the garage, ambient temps are above 65. Is there any reason to warm the bike up before adjusting valves?

Tell igmo the answer's no. :grin:

Tell igmo the answer's no. :grin:

No, not an issue. Ambient temps for the heads should be the correct answer. :grin:

Dick Rothermel

49:

You can do whatever you want with valve adjustments. I'll tell you what I do. First of all, my shop does my service. Perhaps we are in the same ballpark with our mechanical skills!

I have an 07 RT that I bought new. It just turned 61,000 miles last week. Had the break-in service done and the valves adjusted, etc. I skipped the 6000 service. Had the valves checked at 12,000. Still spot on. Next check, 30,000 miles. One exhaust valve just a touch loose, but not loose enough to be out of spec. Just had them checked again at 58,000 miles, same story. I change my oil and filter every 10,000 miles. I run Mobil synethic V-twin. Had the oil checked by a lab after the first 10,000 miles and it still had 48% of its life left. I change the final drive fluid every 24,000 with the tranny change. I had four LT's (01,03 and two 05's) before my RT and followed the same schedule. I put 176,000 combined on the four LT's, with zero issues. I think the service schedule is a little "overly aggressive" as to the mileage requirements. There are those that would not agree with my service schedule and that's just fine. It's my schedule, not there's! What you do is up to you, but I think my schedule works just fine for me, as evidenced by a combined 237,000 miles on my five bikes. Dick

49:

You can do whatever you want with valve adjustments. I'll tell you what I do. First of all, my shop does my service. Perhaps we are in the same ballpark with our mechanical skills!

I have an 07 RT that I bought new. It just turned 61,000 miles last week. Had the break-in service done and the valves adjusted, etc. I skipped the 6000 service. Had the valves checked at 12,000. Still spot on. Next check, 30,000 miles. One exhaust valve just a touch loose, but not loose enough to be out of spec. Just had them checked again at 58,000 miles, same story. I change my oil and filter every 10,000 miles. I run Mobil synethic V-twin. Had the oil checked by a lab after the first 10,000 miles and it still had 48% of its life left. I change the final drive fluid every 24,000 with the tranny change. I had four LT's (01,03 and two 05's) before my RT and followed the same schedule. I put 176,000 combined on the four LT's, with zero issues. I think the service schedule is a little "overly aggressive" as to the mileage requirements. There are those that would not agree with my service schedule and that's just fine. It's my schedule, not there's! What you do is up to you, but I think my schedule works just fine for me, as evidenced by a combined 237,000 miles on my five bikes. Dick

Sounds like we are in agreement 100%! :thumbsup:

Archived