IGNORED

Autocom - I can't hear you!

RedHot

Please help if you can...

A friend gave me a new Autocom and then I've spent a ton of money for "extra" stuff for it - longer cords, different extensions and whatever I was told that I needed.

Well, it's all hooked up and I love it, BUTT (I like that word) I can't hear people when they call me! They can hear me, the calls go through just fine, but I cannot hear them at all! I know they are speaking, but it's not loud enough.

Do you know - is this a simple fix? Do I need to buy ONE MORE DARN THING??? For a "gift" this thing has gotten a little more expensive than what I was expecting. I like it, but I'm tired of spending money on it.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance for your help!

Do you have it plugged into the Autocom directly with a cord or is it bluetoothed through a Zumo? It might help it you tell us the model and configuration.

Ok, it may be your volume control. The zumo has both a front panel "hard" button for volume as well as three "soft" buttons located on the second page of the tools menu. The hard button is the bottom button on the left and when the "bars" show up on the screen, you press the + button to increase volume. Check those out and see if they are all set to maximum 100%.

Ok, it may be your volume control. The zumo has both a front panel "hard" button for volume as well as three "soft" buttons located on the second page of the tools menu. The hard button is the bottom button on the left and when the "bars" show up on the screen, you press the + button to increase volume. Check those out and see if they are all set to maximum 100%.

Same issue, same setup; discovered two separate solutions.

The first was as John indicated; turned the volume up on the Zumo 550.

Additional fix; added a particular "wire" Autocom recommended. Will find out which one if John's suggestion doesn't work.

When you power up are you hearing the bluetooth module boot up? Not the Zumo but the Autocom bluetooth module. This should be the cord plugged in to Aux. 1 and then runs to a dongle. When you installed the system you had to pair the Autocom dongle with your Zumo. This means you had to pair the Autocom dongle to the Zumo and then, as well, you had to pair the phone to the Zumo.

Depending on whether your Aux. 1 is powered enable or not would determine which Autocom dongle you have.

Additional fix; added a particular "wire" Autocom recommended. Will find out which one if John's suggestion doesn't work.

Autocom part #1273 if Aux. 1 is power enabled.

Autocom part #1276 if Aux. 1 is NOT power enabled.

There was also a part #1299 that was discontinued. I believe this is what Johnlt is currently using.

These part numbers may have been superseded with the new stuff that came out this year. Not sure.

Your Autocom main unit should have a tag on it indicating whether or not Aux. 1 is or is not power enabled. If it IS power enabled do NOT hook anything other than a 4 pole jack to Aux. 1 or you may fry the part you plug in or you may fry the amp.

There is another, (man I'm on fire with this today), possibility.

Sometimes your Zumo won't find your Autocom dongle if your phone connects first. You may have to manually push the connection by "dropping" your phone connection, "connecting" your dongle, and then "connecting" your phone.

You can identify if this is going on by looking at the upper left corner of your Zumo while on the first menu screen (hit "menu" while on the map page) and see if you have both a phone symbol as well as a headset symbol. The phone symbol indicates phone connection and the headset indicates dongle connection.

Without the headset connection, you can not talk.

I can walk you through this via phone if you are having trouble.

Hey Phil -

Thank you sooo much for your help!! One thing I'm sure of, is that I DO remember seeing the phone symbol - I do not remember seeing the headset symbol. However, like a dork, I didn't bring the unit with me to work today (yeah okay, nor did I bring the bike - have you seen DC traffic on a holiday!) ANYWAY - I'll check this out tonight or in the morning and report back. Thanks again for all the help!!

Kimo - Go away! :grin:

Another thing... if you connect the Zumo to the Autocom via the Audio-Out socket of the Zumo... you will have beautiful clear sound with no B/T to worry about. That wire will cost you about $6 at Radio Shack.

Another thing... if you connect the Zumo to the Autocom via the Audio-Out socket of the Zumo... you will have beautiful clear sound with no B/T to worry about. That wire will cost you about $6 at Radio Shack.

Hey Birthday boy!!

I have it this way but, you still have to have the dongle for 2 way communication. This just allows you to change the default to "phone only" from "audio, phone", etc. IIRC.

Oooh, look at that, challenging the Zumo God . . . AND on his Birthday!!!! :wave::wave:

Autocom part #1273 if Aux. 1 is power enabled.

Autocom part #1276 if Aux. 1 is NOT power enabled.

There was also a part #1299 that was discontinued. I believe this is what Johnlt is currently using.

These part numbers may have been superseded with the new stuff that came out this year. Not sure.

Your Autocom main unit should have a tag on it indicating whether or not Aux. 1 is or is not power enabled. If it IS power enabled do NOT hook anything other than a 4 pole jack to Aux. 1 or you may fry the part you plug in or you may fry the amp.

The Autocom recommended set-up for the Zumo into a pre-2009 system is the 1273 (or 1276) into Aux 1. This performs the cellphone mono caller voice in/ mono microphone out function. Then connect a part #1314 (now superceded) isolated stereo lead from the Zumo to Aux2, which performs the stereo music in function. Turn up both the Zumo volumes as required -you should be OK (?!)

hope this helps,

John

Do I need to buy ONE MORE DARN THING??? I like it, but I'm tired of spending money on it.

Ahhh, welcome to the wonderful world of AutoCom. I'm getting real close to tossing ours in front of a truck. I have had these things for over 6 years and I still have to fool with them on ever ride.

Do I need to buy ONE MORE DARN THING??? I like it, but I'm tired of spending money on it.

Ahhh, welcome to the wonderful world of AutoCom. I'm getting real close to tossing ours in front of a truck. I have had these things for over 6 years and I still have to fool with them on ever ride.

I struggled initially to understand what was needed and where it went but it has been damn near flawless ever since. You should have seen the consternation of dealing with the Baehr Comm. systems I had been using! GRRR!!!!! The Autocom is light years better, in every way, than the other systems I've either dealt with or come across.

What we need is a few good dealers in the FL area, where you can go with your bike and helmet/s and they can properly inspect and assess how you have your Autocom installed and also how you are using it. They can then set it all up and you will be sorted. After that you should be enjoying more smiles per mile than with any other product, like everyone else who has Autocom, not getting frustrated each ride.

Most issues with Autocom are down to how it is set up and/or being used (genuine faulty returns are less than 0.05%) and trying to sort someone’s problems out over the internet or even by phone is never the same as having them face to face together with the bike and helmets all to hand. However you may have a simple fault either with your system or how its set up and/or being used that an Autocom trained dealer should be able to fix in no time at all.

HELLO FL - Calling all dealers; We have a great product that just needs a little support in your area!

We are making good progress with distributors and dealers in the US, but not yet in the FL area, however that will change in 2010 and I know our distributors have been talking to dealers in FL including the Daytona Beach area, so as you can see; we are working on it.

Autocom-UK-Tom

PS Thanks Phil

OKAY - so you guys are saying that I need to buy ONE MORE PIECE???!! :dopeslap:

I know I should be cooking or something but this thing is irritating me.

Soooo - here's what I did -

Volume on the actual Zumo is as high as it will go - with the push buttons on the side and in the program under settings - there are 2 options and they are both at 100%

Music and GPS are LOUD! Phone, can barely here and that's withOUT ear plugs!

I checked the autocom - there is a red plug thingy in #3, nothing is plugged in to #1 and my connection is plugged in to #2. Whether I try #1 or #2 gps and music are the same, and the phone is the same. Nothing is better than the other.

Tom - any dealers in the VA area? I'm planning a quick trip to IN next weeekend, it would be great if this thing was working properly.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!!

Tom,

I'll mention this to the new dealer opening in December.

We sold a bunch of Autocoms in the previous shop and never really had many issues.

Mine is 5 years old and works fine.

I've removed B2B and radar as I don't use them much at all anymore.

The XM, phone, GPS, Intercom works every time.

Hey Tom,

I sent an email from Australia to Blighty almost a week ago. Still awaiting an answer regarding an expected delivery date of single bluetooth modules for the Super Pro Auto to your distributor in Australia.

My confidence in Autocom is waning fast.... Please help, Tom.

Tom,

I'll mention this to the new dealer opening in December.

We sold a bunch of Autocoms in the previous shop and never really had many issues.

Mine is 5 years old and works fine.

I've removed B2B and radar as I don't use them much at all anymore.

The XM, phone, GPS, Intercom works every time.

Don't want to hijack, but that is the biggest problem I have is the B2B and this is the primary reason we use Autocom. We lose whole sentences at a time and have tried every suggestion that has been given, on this site, Top Gear at the rallys, and by Tom himself, who BTW has been very helpful in the past with other issues I had. (Notice OTHER issues) He is the reason I have put up with this for so long.

John

We built THOUSANDS of these to distributor and dealer pre-orders plus considerable reserve socks, but they sold much faster than we all thought and so unfortunately we ran out.

It would be nice if distributors and dealers stuck their necks out further and just ordered a million so they don’t run out, but in this day and age you cant blame them for being a bit conservative! The Super Pro Automatic has been a massive hit and that’s why the BT modules for them have sold so well.

We have upped production and have already shipped some to Australia, so you should have yours very soon.

Sorry for this.

Autocom UK Tom

KDeline

You asked for it, so I’ve built it, JUST FOR YOU, it will be ready in January.

Of course if it stops you moaning I imagine everyone else will love it too! So we will be building thousands (with extra BT modules….)

I will PM you with a preview and pricing etc, however you will have to wait a week or so because I am snowed under at the busy NEC bike show.

Autocom UK Tom

Hi John,

I have tried the single bluetooth module on a Logic Independence Wireless unit & was very disappointed with the unit when hooked up to my BMW Navigator III+ GPS. Despite setting the GPS to 100% volume there just was not enough volume to the autocom headset. Even setting the autocom to 100% (then the pillion was too loud!) the GPS was inaudible above about 70km/h. Then again the fairing on the ST is not the quietest.

I only really bought the system to go totally wireless so that the rider to pillion was BT & we could both hear the GPS instructions also by BT. It was not to be & I was pretty disappointed with the outcome.

It either needs more output on the bluetooth OR it may be the GPS is at fault here, no matter I have returned both the LIW & the bluetooth module (you can have mine) & am going wired all the way with the Super Pro Auto and wired to the GPS & mp3 player, not going to bother with phone.

I wish you luck with your purchase!

Cheers Teddy

Thanks Tom. Thanks Teddy. :grin:

The main use for the BT will be directly to my iphone. I'm considering a Zumo later on, but the 660 is only just being released here in OZ..... and I want to check it out..

So far, I've had no troubles with volume in either headset. In fact, I have mine turned down because I wear in-ear phones. My pillions (wife or daughter) don't seem to have any problems either.

Thanks for the kind offer of the BT, Teddy, but I think they are slightly different between your Logic and my Super Pro Auto.

Hi John,

It either needs more output on the bluetooth OR it may be the GPS is at fault here, no matter I have returned both the LIW & the bluetooth module (you can have mine) & am going wired all the way with the Super Pro Auto and wired to the GPS & mp3 player, not going to bother with phone.

That is ANOTHER issue I have. I am hard wired, can't hear the GPS 2720, or the phone thru the helmet speakers, but can hear the music, (with a bosteroo) and B2B. I have to use earbuds to hear everything. I have to use Autocom Dual Audio Input: 1 Audio Source/1 Cell Phone 57 IL-TP2 1282 and I think this is the problem because if I connect the GPS direct to the PRO-7 I can hear it. I am courios to know after you wire yours if you will be able to hear it.

Sorry BMWGirl guess we are off of the subject, huh?

KDeline

You asked for it, so I’ve built it, JUST FOR YOU, it will be ready in January.

Of course if it stops you moaning I imagine everyone else will love it too! So we will be building thousands (with extra BT modules….)

I will PM you with a preview and pricing etc, however you will have to wait a week or so because I am snowed under at the busy NEC bike show.

Autocom UK Tom

So I have to buy more stuff....? :rofl:

Well I was unsuccessful at the dealer today. I'm quite frustrated. Everything looks like it is hooked up correctly. The music and GPS BLAST the sound out and the phone is a nice pretty whisper! :mad:

Dealer told me to try the boosteroo when I got home but that made everything worse!

I'm thinking of yanking the whole thing and going with a different system. The whole point was so I could sneak out of work early and still be contacted if there was a problem. Doesn't look like it's going to work. :cry:

Well I was unsuccessful at the dealer today. I'm quite frustrated. Everything looks like it is hooked up correctly. The music and GPS BLAST the sound out and the phone is a nice pretty whisper! :mad:

Dealer told me to try the boosteroo when I got home but that made everything worse!

I'm thinking of yanking the whole thing and going with a different system. The whole point was so I could sneak out of work early and still be contacted if there was a problem. Doesn't look like it's going to work. :cry:

I tried (probably unsuccessfully!) to send a PM suggesting you try the plug the BT into Aux 1 of of the Autocom unit to see if that changed anything. If you did try, what happened?

Thanks Tom. Thanks Teddy. :grin:

The main use for the BT will be directly to my iphone. I'm considering a Zumo later on, but the 660 is only just being released here in OZ..... and I want to check it out..

So far, I've had no troubles with volume in either headset. In fact, I have mine turned down because I wear in-ear phones. My pillions (wife or daughter) don't seem to have any problems either.

Thanks for the kind offer of the BT, Teddy, but I think they are slightly different between your Logic and my Super Pro Auto.

Ooops I guess it must be different as the boxes are quite different sizes.! I have tried both the helmet speakers & some earmolds with in-ear speakers as well, same result with both.

Ah well these things are meant to try us :)

Teddy

I tried my Nokia 6300 (old phone I know but works) it paired with the Single BT module OK & seemed to be loud enough thru the helmet speakers when using the media player on the phone. I never did try to make a phone call through it though. Guess you tried setting the phone volume to maximum?

So much for bluetooth standardising everything I too was getting frustrated with the whole thing, I just hope that the Super Pro Auto + hard wired GPS works out OK!

Teddy :)

I tried 2 different autocom units and basically threw them in the trash. The quality of the sound (music and intercom) was crappy and the constant noise of road sound was iritating. There are way too many additions to get the thing to work with all kinds of extra pieces. The good thing is that you can hook up many things to it. I ended up just scaling way back and bought the J&M. The intercom is superior as well as the music. We use BTB here over the CB with all the guys I ride with so that was another deciding factor. It reaches way out there as well, 2-3 miles if needed.

I could care less about the phone. I just check it at each stop.

I tried 2 different autocom units and basically threw them in the trash. The quality of the sound (music and intercom) was crappy and the constant noise of road sound was iritating. There are way too many additions to get the thing to work with all kinds of extra pieces. The good thing is that you can hook up many things to it. I ended up just scaling way back and bought the J&M. The intercom is superior as well as the music. We use BTB here over the CB with all the guys I ride with so that was another deciding factor. It reaches way out there as well, 2-3 miles if needed.

I could care less about the phone. I just check it at each stop.

Don't know about you but I have invested nearly AU$1000 on the autocom system, I am not about to throw it in the "bin" as you said...

Teddy

Hey, I'm back... (the Zumo God was on vacation)....

1bmwfan is correct. To connect the Zumo (and all that is behind it) you will need the Autocomm cable that integrates the Audio Out from the Zumo and the Audio In. Still, it is neater and easier than the B/T connection... in my most humble opinion.

Regarding those of you who have already, or are deciding to chuck the Autocom unit... all I can say is I have the AVI Pro 7 and it works as designed, the operation, quality and volume is perfect, fully adjustable and the install is neat and efficient.

I have AM/FM/Weather from a small Sony Receiver, great intercom, Zumo with 2 GB SD card and my iTunes library installed, B/T to Phone, and Kenwood Bike to Bike GMRS/FRS radio. The only problem is the radio interference on the AM bad, probably from the Fuel Pump which I seem to need when under way.

I am no electronic engineer but I was in the Signal Corps. Tom B was very helpful in configuring my system as was Jeff at Motorcycle R&R in Salt Lake City. Once I figured out what I needed I made one install and it all worked as planned.

I have no clue as to the OP's problem but I hope she can find it to be a simple and inexpensive problem. I think I can say it is not a system design issue.

FWIW, I bought an Autocom system in 2007 before my wife and I headed off on a five-week ride to California. I bought mine from a BMW dealer east of LA, had it shipped here and installed locally by an independent BMW tech (me not being the handy type). My wife and I installed the harnesses in the helmets with over-the-phone help from EffBee (I substituted ArizonaAl in-ear speakers for the standard Autocom helmet speakers). My primary reason for getting the system was for rider-passenger comms. I also have my GPS and iPod plugged into it. After three riding seasons, I can happily say that it continues to work as advertised. I hope the OP sorts out whatever the problem is.

I read this thread, but I don't remember seeing this tried...sorry if I missed it! Did you look at the phone volume when the B/T is activated? This happened to me waaay back when I first went the B/T route with the Autocom.

FWIW...in my nearly 10 years with Autocom, everytime I had a challenge, it was me and not the device(s) and I was able to make them work reliably everytime. I'm convinced you will too!

............. Despite setting the GPS to 100% volume there just was not enough volume to the autocom headset. Even setting the autocom to 100% (then the pillion was too loud!) the GPS was inaudible above about 70km/h......

Errrrrrrrrm ..... I think the Autocom volume is clockwise to decrease volume ........... (don't ask me why .... maybe to help Boosteroo sales!)

Although I designed all Autocom systems over the past 19 year, and would have considered myself a leading authority on most matters regarding our products, our company has expanded so much over the last 10 years that I am now full time in management and marketing and not so much hands on with all the latest bikes, helmets and gadgets people want (and expect) to work with our systems, I have a team that looks after that for me now and they are easily accessible on

UK Factory +44 (0) 1926 431249 Email enquiries@autocom.co.uk http://forums.autocom.co.uk/ and we have a list of distributors and dealers that can provide tech-support on http://www.autocom.co.uk/Systems/ under the dealers tab

As most people will confirm, like 270 says, Autocom systems are very reliable, in fact I can confirm that 99.95% of all systems sold are to happy customers and only 0.05% of systems require service in the first year of use, which I understand is a standard all others would like to have, but unfortunately most don’t.

My team is committed to the busy NEC bike show until next Sunday but after this they will commit themselves to anyone, anywhere that requires any help with our products.

Our systems exceed the expectations of most customers needs, especially most that have used other brands, and we strive to provide accessories that help most customers connect most things they want to our systems, but sometimes some accessories are only designed to work in limited ways and unfortunately it is Autocom that gets the blame.

FACT IS; almost ANY audio device with a STANDARD audio output will work with our products. That is until someone else designs a new NON standard that moves the goal posts. We spend hundreds if not thousands of hours and thousands if not hundreds of thousands of (UK) pounds (every year) trying to help customers connect what they want to our systems.

A few years ago you had a coupe of choices, being a simple 3 pole stereo music input, and a simple 3 pole mono phone connection. Now you need four pole connectivity for stereo input and mono speech output (for stereo GPS and stereo phones etc) and YES Autocom sets the standard and leads the market in that department, even providing short, medium and long versions of our standard and specialist leads, and then you have Bluetooth which is hit and miss with most brands, other than a limited few that specialise in working well with other chosen brands, but virtually NOTHING works well with everything went it comes to Bluetooth, basically because there are so many variants of coding being used around the Bluetooth brand name. Then when you think you have the latest and greatest someone changes something and it all starts over again.

My advices (in hindsight) is, like what I say to people buying helmets, CHECK BEFORE YOU BUY that its compatible, most helmet lend themselves to being fitted with a headset, but some brands are badly designed for such use.

Some brands deliberately make themselves only work with THEIR accessories and not with others. Autocom cannot be expected to keep making millions of different parts to work with thousands of other brand, many of which change every year or so, and in some cases you may find that Autocom is buy far the very best product to do everything that you want, much better than anything else can.

If what people refer to as Bluetooth was a SOLID STANDARD, like for example a phono plug/socket, or a 5 pin or 7 pin DIN plug/socket, or even a STANDARD 3.5mm mono or stereo plug/socket (NO not the specially designed ones IPod designed for their FIRST product, so that you could ONLY use THEIR headphones, or the specialist (different) one that Motorola uses on their radios to STOP YOU using other brands with THEIR products. Then world will be a better place with FAR MORE happier customers.

Until then Autocom will do our very best to keep as many customer happy as we can, like making a specialist lead to work with Iphone and Motorola etc.

Our Bluetooth product was blamed for not working with a particulat new GPS system, but when the GPS company sorted the problems with their software it worked well with our Bluetooth module, luckily we did not rush out to make our Bluetooth modules work with the problematic GPS! We are also working on a new Bluetooth module, but no doubt by the time you get one, someone else will make a product that requires a different one, perhaps designed to only work well with THEIR own products?

In the meantime if there is ANYTHING we (Autocom) can do to help our customers, we will if you ask us to. If there is a sort delay we are sorry but this week we are ALL at the NEC bike show, supporting many thousands of customers, after which we will do our best to look after everyone else

As much as we try we know that we cannot satisfy everyone’s need, but we will do our best, as always, that’s a promise.

Autocom UK Tom

............. Despite setting the GPS to 100% volume there just was not enough volume to the autocom headset. Even setting the autocom to 100% (then the pillion was too loud!) the GPS was inaudible above about 70km/h......

Errrrrrrrrm ..... I think the Autocom volume is clockwise to decrease volume ........... (don't ask me why .... maybe to help Boosteroo sales!)

Sorry Kritou the new 2009 Logic Independence wireless unit definately pumps out more volume in a clockwise direction.

http://www.bluerim.com.au/autocom-systems/logic-wireless.html

That may be true of the older autocoms I don't know coz I have never tried em.

In reply to Tom B's comments..

Thanks Tom for your comments I have nothing but praise for the people on autocom forums in particular Paulw & Rich. They have been extremely helpful in helping me decide where to place the SPA (still to arrive dealer out of stock)

Also the dealer in Sydney Aus has been very patient with me & has offered good advice.

Just waiting on the SPA to arrive & then the fun of installation begins!

Cheers Teddy

Teddy

We have shipments going out worldwide all the time and I don’t normally pay much attention to them, however I did notice a large shipment going out yesterday and I thought that’s too big for a typical winter order, so a large order like that at this time of year must be for somewhere like Australia, and it was. So you should have your SP-A very soon.

Autocom UK Tom

OK, it does appear that the new Logics have changed the volume config but users of the pre 2009 equipment might want to take note of their instruction sheet

Teddy

We have shipments going out worldwide all the time and I don’t normally pay much attention to them, however I did notice a large shipment going out yesterday and I thought that’s too big for a typical winter order, so a large order like that at this time of year must be for somewhere like Australia, and it was. So you should have your SP-A very soon.

Autocom UK Tom

Great stuff be nice if it gets here before I head off on Xmas hols :)

OK, it does appear that the new Logics have changed the volume config but users of the pre 2009 equipment might want to take note of their instruction sheet

No worries, to me it is logical volume up is clockwise, but I think now I remember reading something about the controls were back to front on some autocom systems... you have just confirmed it!

Cheers Teddy

Originally Posted By: Kritou

OK I admit it.. It was ME!

You’re looking at both top and bottom layers through a PCB cad package, forgetting that when THIS ONE goes into its housing it’s going to be upside down. An easy mistake that I rectified on our latest generation of product. Of course I did rectify the problem on the old product by pointing this out in the instructions, but I agree its normal for the volume to go up when the control is rotated clockwise. If only designing PCB's was all I had to do!

Autocom UK Tom

Archived