IGNORED

Superbike School: from Kawasaki to BMW sponsorship

David

I was a little surprised by that, given how many years Kawasaki has sponsored the school. We used to get brand new bikes every two years. At the end of the two years, we'd clean them up, but the original bodywork back on, and sell them. The instructor bikes typically had 15-18k on them, and the student bikes had from 6-12k on them.

It'll be interesting to see:

--how the BMWs hold up

--how they crash on those valve covers

Wow! What bike will they use?

Well, after seeing me on my GS in their school several times, I'm sure they won't be picking that, unless they plan to do some corner cutting techniques like I did to shave a little lap time :rofl:

The new S1000RR is not only the most powerful bike in its class, it’s also the most controllable one. Its ultra sophisticated electronic Dynamic Traction Control and race ABS systems combined with very light weight, neutral and nimble handling – we say BMW has created a package that is satisfyingly easy yet exciting to ride, making it a perfect partner for your training.

There's some strange wording in here. Reading between the lines, I'll be they're using the Kawasakis they still have and BMW has picked up a partial sponsorship. I'm just guessing, though.

Pricing & Details

School Pricing

Riding Your Own Bike

* All Levels, I through IV, all tracks $450.00

* The New Streets of Willow Springs $390.00

* Barber Motorsports $490.00

Using Our BMW S1000RR

* All Levels, all tracks $675.00

* Barber Motorsports $690.00

Wow, that's a big change. I see they've put their instructor pix in black and white now, so as to hide all that Kawi green they were dressed in for the photo shoot! New bikes, new uniforms, new truck - everything for them.

I wonder how Will will do maintaining BMWs now vs. Kawis. Plus, a bit of a learning curve for the instructors to get used to the new bike.

Interesting stuff.

If they're really abandoning the Kawis for BMWs, I think that's going to hurt them. The S1000RR is gonna be too much bike for a lot of people (though I suppose they could be electronically detuned), and there's no other BMW (yet) that'll fill the role of middleweight sport bike. I guess they could use F800Ss, but I don't see that pleasing a lot of their customers.

Wow. I have been planning on going back spring 2010 for Levels III and IV. The switch to the 1000RR adds even more adrenaline but also makes it a bit daunting

russell_bynum
If they're really abandoning the Kawis for BMWs, I think that's going to hurt them. The S1000RR is gonna be too much bike for a lot of people (though I suppose they could be electronically detuned), and there's no other BMW (yet) that'll fill the role of middleweight sport bike. I guess they could use F800Ss, but I don't see that pleasing a lot of their customers.

Yup. That's way too much bike. I'd love to take one for a few laps for fun, but if I'm trying to learn something, that's way more bike than I'd want to deal with.

After reading the motorcycle.com review earlier this afternoon, I can't help but believe they'd either use one of the gentler settings, or that BMW will provide one. Maybe something like this rain mode: "As we were learning a new bike and a new track, we were advised to begin with the ECU set to the Rain mode. This smooths throttle response and limits engine output to a maximum of 150 horsepower."

russell_bynum
After reading the motorcycle.com review earlier this afternoon, I can't help but believe they'd either use one of the gentler settings, or that BMW will provide one. Maybe something like this rain mode: "As we were learning a new bike and a new track, we were advised to begin with the ECU set to the Rain mode. This smooths throttle response and limits engine output to a maximum of 150 horsepower."

Probably...but that's still a whole bunch more than you get from a 600.

If the DTC on the SS is switched to Rain mode, horsepower drops to around 150, the bike won't wheelie, and the rear wheel won't break forward traction.

I'm really curious as to why they switched?

It's a new Super Premium Package being offered. It combines a Track Day with a Tech Day. First you get to do a valve adjustment and a TB sync. THEN you get to go out on the track. :lurk:

They're not dropping Kawasaki, just adding the S1000RR, for a premium....

I'm really curious as to why they switched?

It's a new Super Premium Package being offered. It combines a Track Day with a Tech Day. First you get to do a valve adjustment and a TB sync. THEN you get to go out on the track. :lurk:

:rofl:

russell_bynum

Where are you getting that information?

From Roadracingworld.com:

"Kawasaki Motors ended its sponsorship of the California Superbike School at the end of 2008, but Code continued to work with his existing fleet of ZX-6R Kawasakis while looking for a new OEM partner. He rode a pre-production S1000RR prior to making the deal with BMW North America."

russell_bynum

From Roadracingworld.com:

"Kawasaki Motors ended its sponsorship of the California Superbike School at the end of 2008, but Code continued to work with his existing fleet of ZX-6R Kawasakis while looking for a new OEM partner. He rode a pre-production S1000RR prior to making the deal with BMW North America."

Also..if you go to their site and try to sign up, your options are "your bike" and "our S1000RR"

From Superbike's website.

My thoughts exactly. I don't need to be on a liter bike for that.... I am not on the track enough to feel confident with that much motor between my legs.

russell_bynum

From Superbike's website.

Can you be more specific? If you go to their Sign up page, your choices are "Your Bike" and "Our BMW S1000RR". There is not an option to select any other bike.

Parts Deposit: Credit card, cash or check. OK to pay at the track. Returned at end of school day if no damaged parts.

Our ZX-6R's - $750

Leathers - $200

Timing transponders - $125

russell_bynum
Parts Deposit: Credit card, cash or check. OK to pay at the track. Returned at end of school day if no damaged parts.

Our ZX-6R's - $750

Leathers - $200

Timing transponders - $125

Ah, OK...I see it. now.

Just a (slightly) educated guess, but my bet is that this is old info that they haven't updated yet. Generally, they keep bikes for 2 years and then sell them and get new ones. If the Kawi sponsorship ended at the start of 2008 (which is what the press release says), then the current fleet is due for replacement.

So...my bet is that's just old info ha they forgot to update. If it isn't, then that's an interesting dilemma...it's cheaper to ride the S1000RR than the 600. :S

I just received this from them.

That is right, no more ZXs. We are very excited to have a new sponsor and offer the BMW S1000RR as our rental bikes.

I jsut finally read the S1000RR review fro mthe other thread. Sounds like it will be an excellent machine. It was described as beign as nimbel and flickable as the CBR1000RR, having more pwoer, but the electronics in the diffrent "levels" do a great job of restricting the bikes performance and keeping the rider in control... but cna be disabled depending on what you're working on. That's the ideal definition of a "trainer". It allwos you to manipulate the test environment to focus on diffrent scenerios or skills, one at a time.

I think the fact that during the journalist sessions, nobody crashed. That's pretty rare, if not unheard of...expecially they said with Spanish journalists who are known for pushing the limits.

Pretty cool.

Well, we know the motorcyle industry as a whole is hurting. Some are hurting more than others. Suzuki is in bad shape; HD is hurting; Honda is hurting somewhat. Probably, from what I've read, if BMW is hurting, it is certainly less than the others. Maybe Kawasaki just could not, or would not afford it anymore. I think this is a good chance to get that wonderful bike out there for more people to enjoy. Good for BMW. Good for us.

Yeah, So I hear, earlier in the year I was contemplating using my GS instead of the school kawi for yet another Level 4 class (slow learner) that has changed now looking forward to getting a couple blue flags on the RR1000S. I never thought they name a bike after me. :grin:

David do you know your schedule at Code this year? Maybe we'll be at the same venue.

For anyone that is interested the guys on motogpod.com interviewed Keith the week of 11/20 and they talk about this during the interview. The episode is titled " the fantastic mr. code."

Archived