IGNORED

ABS works sporadically at startup

Joe Durt

I have noticed that since it has become colder, my ABS will not activate properly all the time until I get a few miles down the road and have warmed the bike up.

At that time I turn the key off...re-start the bike and everything is fine.

Has anyone exsperienced this also? 2000 r1100rt 81K milesw.

Thanks

Durt

This sounds like the low voltage warning problem. My '96 had this problem when the battery gets to a point where it is in less than optimal condition. The issue is that the ABS systems is doing its self-test before the engine has started running.

There is an excellent modfication that you can do to add a relay to delay initialization until after the alternator has come up to speed. I recommend that modification and I am still using that same battery 26 months later.

I have had that problem lately, 04, 1150. The light won't stop blinking and there is no power assist. So I drive off anyway, and within a minute or so the light stops blinking and the power assist works. I chalked it up to too long between fluid changes, but that is just a guess.

So mine is coming apart very soon...

thomas v terry - sounds like time to replace your battery.

effexer1, I believe they all require you to roll the front wheel a few feet before the ASB light will reset.

The ABS system does not finish arming until it has had a chance to test the wheel sensors. So the bike has to get up to 5mph before the self-test sequence finishes.

My 98' 1100 does this. Driving off does not stop it, as it is not blinking both lights at the same time, and then turning itself off after a few feet riding. It blinks one light, then the other indicating a problem. I let it warm a bit, then turn off the bike, then on again. No problems after that. I guess I need a battery.

My 98' 1100 does this. Driving off does not stop it, as it is not blinking both lights at the same time, and then turning itself off after a few feet riding. It blinks one light, then the other indicating a problem. I let it warm a bit, then turn off the bike, then on again. No problems after that. I guess I need a battery.
Or, implement the fix to add a relay to delay the ABS self-test until after the alternator has come up to speed. I highly recommend this modification. It saves replacing the battery unnecessarily and the annoyance of restarting.

Archived