IGNORED

Arctic Circle

mundo

Brothers, check out this video of my solo trip this past spring. Rode my 1996 R 1100RT .. if you were in Torrey at the spring rally, look for a cameo of your bike ...lol .. it's 24 min , so crack a beer and enjoy !!

comments welcome, mundo

Im on the beer Mighty Mundo. Great scenery and the narration was pretty good for an old showman like yourself. I was thinking it takes alot of guts to do what you did but then i started thinking even more and figured it takes more than guts, its takes a real love of life and livin. Thanks for the generous share of your journey.

Q1- Where you ever scared

Q2- Did you ever get lost

Q3- What was your favorite part

Q4_ Where you gonna go next

Time for another beer and get some shutEye, long day at work.

Mundo you're quite the entertainer, loved the mini interviews! The most worthy twenty-four minutes I've spent all month.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Pat

Q1- Where you ever scared

Almost a bar fight in Whitehorse , do NOT go to the "98 Club"

Q2- Did you ever get lost

NO , I use only paper maps , no GPS

Q3- What was your favorite part

Camping at the Circle

Q4_ Where you gonna go next

Darrien Gap, Pannama

Mundo you're quite the entertainer, loved the mini interviews! The most worthy twenty-four minutes I've spent all month.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Pat

dang , thanks Pat

Thanks for sharing Mundo. I did that ride plus a little to Prudhoe Bay in the summer of 08 and really enjoyed seeing all the stuff that I "didn't take a picture of". An outstanding presentation.

Nice video log!I have some buddies who want to do the Trans Labrador again on the east coast this summer.I grew up in Nova Scotia,been to Nfld. a couple of times on MC & enjoyed it.Glad you had a safe trip.I liked your little dance in front of the AC sign!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That was absolutely awesome. Very well done. Your efforts really shined on this video. Completely entertaining. Thanks for sharing.

What video editing software do you use? I don't think it's iMovie. :S

thanks John,glad you enjoyed ... while my "goal" was to ride to the AC , the start of the Pan American Highway , I was ready to go on to Prudhoe Bay if one or both of 2 things happened. The road was OK, (it wasn't ... lol .. mud pit ) and or another biker came along. No one did . Guess I have to go back someday ... !!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That was absolutely awesome. Very well done. Your efforts really shined on this video. Completely entertaining. Thanks for sharing.

What video editing software do you use? I don't think it's iMovie. :S

thanks !! this was edited on Final Cut Pro ..

I was on my GSA with TKC80s but as it turned out, the weather was great with zero rain/mud. A road bike would have been fine but the last 50 miles had a lot of large gravel so would probably get a bunch of stone chips. What kind of video camera and mount did you use?

So Mighty Mundo, for your next trip, it looks just as amazing.

The darrien gap, Panama. 2572 miles from New Mexico to Panama.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

The Darién Gap is a large swath of undeveloped swampland and forest separating Panama (Central America) and Colombia (South America). It measures just over 160 km (99 mi) long and about 50 km (31 mi) wide. It is not possible to cross between South America and Central America by land without passing through the Darién Gap. Roadbuilding through this area is expensive, and the environmental toll is steep. Political consensus in favor of road construction has not emerged. There is no road connection through the Darién Gap connecting North/Central America with South America. It is therefore the missing link of the Pan-American Highway.

The geography of the Darién Gap on the Colombian side is dominated primarily by the river delta of the Atrato River, which creates a flat marshland at least 80 km (50 mi) wide, half of this being swampland. The Panamanian side, in sharp contrast, is a mountainous rain forest, with terrain reaching from 60 m (200 ft) in the valley floors to 1,845 m (6,050 ft) at the tallest peaks (Cerro Tacarcuna).

Keep us posted on when your thinking of doing this great adventure.

I was on my GSA with TKC80s but as it turned out, the weather was great with zero rain/mud. A road bike would have been fine but the last 50 miles had a lot of large gravel so would probably get a bunch of stone chips. What kind of video camera and mount did you use?

I had 2 older model Sony cameras ...

a DCR-HC 32 ( it's small and will take a lip stick cam but 99% of the time I had it just mounted down on the "dash" , a flat medal deck above the speedo or just in the tank bag )

a TRV 900 ( a old 3ccd work horse for shots when I had more time)

a very cheap ($20) travel tripod , a "must have" in my view

No mic's

Torrey in the spring but what month were you in AK?

I am heading there next year, with fingers crossed.

A broken side stand, man that would have been a clenched teeth deal every time you stopped!!

GREAT report, well edited and had me laughing at the AC sign, well done!

Torrey in the spring but what month were you in AK?

I am heading there next year, with fingers crossed.

A broken side stand, man that would have been a clenched teeth deal every time you stopped!!

GREAT report, well edited and had me laughing at the AC sign, well done!

I left Santa Fe may 15 , hit the Circle on the 26th of may. One side stand bolt had sheared off and I needed to get a " eazy out" to repair it. NO fun unmounting trying to put little of no pressure on the remaining bolt.

Thanks for the good word, I'm with you Clatyon, it's a long way alright. It really gets good in the Yukon ! One real GOOD thing about my early spring trip , NO Mosquitos !

Very, very nice expression of the experience. It makes me want to do it again.

Actually, I want to do that ride again most of the time already.

I also loved the Arctic Circle Sign dancing. You are quite the performance arteest.

we have always gone the middle of august and fortunately had no problem with rain or bugs. not sure if it is usually like that or we were just lucky.

AdventurePoser

I really enjoyed this...took me back to my 10K mile exploration of the far northwest a few years back. I smiled when I recognized something I'd ridden by or stopped at to visit.

Thanks for sharing-you did a beautiful job of capturing an Alaska ride.

Steve in So Cal

Holy COW!!! What a fantastic video!!! Thanks for sharing and taking the time to put it together!

I sure got a lot of great video ideas from that, and some serious vicarious life energy. The dance was over the top and I think I was almost as happy watching as you were when you made it!!!

Thanks again!

I really enjoyed this...took me back to my 10K mile exploration of the far northwest a few years back. I smiled when I recognized something I'd ridden by or stopped at to visit.

Thanks for sharing-you did a beautiful job of capturing an Alaska ride.

Steve in So Cal

thanks Steve, I decided NOT to name every shot and place just for thats reason, to let the memories flow back to them that have done this ride and to preserve some mystery for them that will go forward.

Oh , and like I said in the video , I just quite keeping track of everything and just RODE.

thanks for taking the time to reply !

Holy COW!!! What a fantastic video!!! Thanks for sharing and taking the time to put it together!

I sure got a lot of great video ideas from that, and some serious vicarious life energy. The dance was over the top and I think I was almost as happy watching as you were when you made it!!!

Thanks again!

hey B, thanks and your welcome ... the "high" of getting to the Circle was something I wasn't going to let pass easily .. grab the moment and savor it ! like good sex ..lol ..

Tom, my wife was a pillion and I think I had metzlers. regular street tires, they were new though. we had mostly dry conditions. not sure how we would have faired in the mud.

no real plan, left fairbanks knowing it had not rained. made it to the circle and back in the same day. a very long day! we took it slow (I am not a good dirt rider). The RT will handle most anything you throw at it. the circle was a disappointment though. no bands, no one handing out medals. all in all, a wonderful trip. we are mulling over going again in august. not sure I have another trip in me.

Archived