IGNORED

Removing both wheels R1100

twowheelsonly

twowheelsonly

Hello,

I am planing on emoving both wheels so new tires can be installed. when the bike is on the center sand the rear wheel just clears the pavement. I assume that a small jsck is required to support the front so the wheel can be removed. where is the correct poing to lift the front wheel to clear the pavement, also what is the correct torgue specs for the re-assembly?

Thanks for your help!~

Stewart

If you do not have a motorcycle jack, then you can use a small floor jack with a 2x4 under the engine in front of the center stand. The bike will be a bit unstable so you have to be careful while working on it.

I'll have to go look at my manual for the correct torque on the lugs if someone doesn't post the answer. I know you put the lugs back dry (no oil or grease).

I use two small scissor-type car jacks. One under the paralever pivot at the back and one under the sump at the front. I use a piece of wood at the front to spread the load.

I do not have the torque values to hand but from memory the rear wheel bolts are torqued to 77 foot-pounds, clean and dry threads.

Andy

Danny caddyshack Noonan

A 1/2" thick, give or take depending on your strength, board under the center stand feet makes that job a lot easier. At least on mine. I find getting that touch extra clearance just makes getting the tires out a bit easier. Used to just set my K100 rear disc on a small plastic tool box until I found out that a right side up milk crate worked better...I think this geometry is slightly different though and haven't tried it on the R.

I sometimes position the bike directly under the ends my garage door track and then run some straps form each end of the bike up over the track with the bike on the centerstand, then remove the wheels. The majority of the weight is on the center stand so all the strap is doing is keeping the weight balanced. I do strap the centerstand forward so it can't retract. The straps obviously have multiple uses and I don't have to store any sort of jack.

I sometimes position the bike directly under the ends my garage door track and then run some straps form each end of the bike up over the track with the bike on the centerstand, then remove the wheels. The majority of the weight is on the center stand so all the strap is doing is keeping the weight balanced. I do strap the centerstand forward so it can't retract. The straps obviously have multiple uses and I don't have to store any sort of jack.
+1 I put some hooks in the ceiling of the garage for this purpose.

As far as torque, according to my manual (99 RT), the wheel studs should be torqued initially to 50 nm, then a second time to a final torque of 105 nm.

I've had both wheels off for the same reason as you, and just used a floor jack with a 2x4 across the sump.

From the manual:

Tightening torque:

Screw in wheel studs handtight, then

tighten them in a crosswise pattern

Initial tightening ............................................ 50 Nm

Final tightening........................................... 105 Nm

Archived