IGNORED

Sprint as a Cell Carrier - Opinions?

Aluminum_Butt

Aluminum_Butt

I manage our corporate telcom contracts, including cell phones. We're currently on AT&T. Sprint has made us a pretty incredible offer, but I'm concerned about signal/service in non-metro areas.

Most of our use is in the Midwest - specifically IL, MI, OH, IN. We do get into some rural areas, and some of us travel nationwide.

For those who've had experience with Sprint, what's your opinion?

I live in Michigan and think the service is no worse than Verizon, and way better than ATT. Seems to be some cultural bias against Sprint in favor of the more hip Verizon.

I've had sprint for as long as I can remember. I don't have issues with them and their service is great. I travel tons between major metro areas and I always have clear service. My work phone is verizon and I like them too.

I doubt i will ever get rid of sprint because it works for me. I like it because it works everywhere I am, thats crucial.

I manage our corporate telcom contracts, including cell phones. We're currently on AT&T. Sprint has made us a pretty incredible offer, but I'm concerned about signal/service in non-metro areas.

Most of our use is in the Midwest - specifically IL, MI, OH, IN. We do get into some rural areas, and some of us travel nationwide.

For those who've had experience with Sprint, what's your opinion?

Look at their coverage map

for the areas you mentioned.

I had Sprint in the Chicago area, after they took over Nextel. They were ok in the Chicago area. Traveling presented problems. I switched to Verizon once I moved, because their coverage map was best here.

I'll never do business with them ever again.

Coverage? Couldn't tell ya anything about it - but I wouldn't trust them at all.

Many years ago, when they were trying to get a foothold in the US cellular market, I bought in to be a 'pioneer' subscriber. San Diego was one of the markets they launched in - I paid a big chunk of cash up front, but the contract was no monthly fees for as long as you were a Sprint subscriber, as well as always getitng their lowest per-minute rate, whatever that might be. (At the time, it was about .40 a minute, with the first 10 free - a great deal as there was no such thing as 'included' minute bundles with any of the other service providers.)

About a year and a half later, they wanted to unilaterally change the contract, including a charged monthly fee, with per-minute tiered rates based on usage volume. (When I called to complain, they told me they weren't making any money with the 'Pioneer Plan' and so were going to discontinue it.)

After months of trying to get them to honor it, they finally offered to buy out the contract instead. (I would have preferred to keep it, as it was a great deal.) I can imagine that anyone not willing to fight them over it got screwed.

As a result of their cheating and breaking the contract then, I'll never again darken their doorway, so to speak. I dunno if the corporate conscience has changed at all, but I changed to another carrier (who eventually became AT&T) and have been there ever since. Not a great company, but despite the numerous name changes, mergers and acquisitions, they honored a similarly advantageous contract for over fifteen years. (Which I finally allowed them reneg on when I got the iPhone - which they claimed wouldn't work under the old terms.)

I have Sprint for work. I travel every week somewhere in the US. Coverage is very good. What is not good is delivery of voice mail. Voice mail is consistently delayed several hours. At least a few times a week my voice mail comes the next day; and it isn't a coverage issue as I was able to make calls.

I have AT&T for the wife. Coverage is weak.

I also have GM OnStar in the car. I don't who the carrier is, but it always works even when the traditional cells from Sprint or AT&T won't.

I also have GM OnStar in the car. I don't who the carrier is, but it always works even when the traditional cells from Sprint or AT&T won't.

I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but the carrier for my OnStar accounts is Verizon.

Calvin  (no socks)

Never been to those states.

...but... Have Sprint for work phone for the last 4 years...Have made/recieved calls at/near The Grand Canyon, Pikes Peak, Orla Texas (between Pecos and Carlsbad) in the middle of nowhere, and Torrey before it went metro! :thumbsup:

Other phone services had left alot to be desired, I even asked the boss if I was on a restricted plan... :grin:

hAVE hAD iT for many years (maybe 9 ?) No worries.! Grreat coverage even in the high country of Colorado and Oregon etc.

No hiccups - no drops. Good stuff as far as I'm concerned. YMMV

Coverage has been great, customer service has improved in the last couple of years, and I have the greatest plan ever (that nobody can get anymore, sorry).

Been with Sprint over 10 years now in Ohio and have no problems with coverage as long as you're on the main roads. BUT that is true of most carriers - get on the backroads that we like to travel on motorcycle and many of the carriers don't have coverage.

I've found the coverage good and their pricing very good. And they do tend to have good discounts for corporate groups.

Jim

Why dont all you sprint users get together and see if sprint will give you some sort of BMWST group plan. Could save you money and maybe get some extra goodies with the package.

Sprint for 6 years....will not go to another to include Verizon. I rarely have a signal problem anywhwere to include remote areas.

Many friends have borrowed my phone on rides cuz their carrier was not working.

When I started with Sprint, they charged me for things I'd told them I didn't want (roadside assistance, for example). They also charged me for minutes which should have been included in the plan I had. Though they eventually agreed with me on every penny, it took over a year of phone calls and arguments. When my contract expired and I wanted to go to a different carrier, I called Sprint Customer Service before going to the Cingular store just to make sure my contract was up and there would be no early termination fee. "That's right," they said.

My last bill had a charge of $600 for early termination (4 lines @ $150). Back to customer service I went. They cancelled that, too. Eventually.

YMMV, but I'm not using them again.

Archived