IGNORED

Windows 7 Question

Lets_Play_Two

Lets_Play_Two

I am going to do a clean install of Windows 7. I have a couple of programs like photoshop which have been upgraded once or twice. Do I have to go through the initial install of the full program and add the upgrades or does the upgrade really contain the full program? Thanks.

Lets_Play_Two

I am going to do a complete wipe because I am going from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. I have all the details of the switch and using easy transfer but the upgrade program is an open issue. I guess I could just do it and see what happens....just trying to avoid extra program install time.

I am going to do a complete wipe because I am going from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. I have all the details of the switch and using easy transfer but the upgrade program is an open issue. I guess I could just do it and see what happens....just trying to avoid extra program install time.

I just did the exact same install last week. You'll have 2 choices when asked "Which type of installation do you want?" - Upgrade or Custom. Choose Custom and away you go. Took me about 30-40 minutes, I think.

Lets_Play_Two

I just did the exact same install last week. You'll have 2 choices when asked "Which type of installation do you want?" - Upgrade or Custom. Choose Custom and away you go. Took me about 30-40 minutes, I think.

I plan to do custom. What I was wondering about is when I reinstall my other programs, how are previous upgrades handled. Do I need to install earlier versions before the upgrade versions? For example, I upgraded to Photoshop CS4 from Photoshop CS2. Do I need to install CS2 first, or will CS4 work without previous versions?

Aluminum_Butt

For example, I upgraded to Photoshop CS4 from Photoshop CS2. Do I need to install CS2 first, or will CS4 work without previous versions?

It's going to depend on the individual program. I would always try the latest version first. In many cases it may ask for proof of ownership of the previous version (insert your CD), but then proceed with the install.

russell_bynum
For example, I upgraded to Photoshop CS4 from Photoshop CS2. Do I need to install CS2 first, or will CS4 work without previous versions?

It's going to depend on the individual program. I would always try the latest version first. In many cases it may ask for proof of ownership of the previous version (insert your CD), but then proceed with the install.

+1

Most of the Adobe stuff will let you install the upgrade and then just provide a serial number from the original product.

Good, that makes sense. We've fielded that question quite a few times with our customers and our recommendation is alwasy to stick with the 32-bit product unless you have specific applications which can take advantage of what 64-bit offers.

Archived