IGNORED

For my gas-guzzling friends......

Francois_Dumas

I've seen some of the emails, the ensuing charges from them, and explanations of them from real climate scientists (not from CRU) who actually understand them. For the most part, the climate change deniers are taking emails out of context and misinterpreting scientific/statistical jargon and methods to infer that the scientists are cooking the data to make it fit their preconceived conclusions. They're wrong, and this is why it hasn't been reported as a "scandal" in the mainstream media.

What does give me concern, is that among these emails (which, BTW, may have been tampered with, since the hackers that stole them only released a supposedly "random" sampling) is an email that asks others to delete emails in relation to a freedom of information request. Now THAT could be a scandal.

In any event, there's plenty of science from other sources to support anthropogenic climate change.

I thought political threads were verboten here.

The funny thing about physics is that it doesn't care if you understand it or not. It will just go ahead and do what it was gonna do anyway. A few odd emails, wherever they came from, won't change anything.

I'd like to see the internal emails at BMW about the final drive failures. BMW insists there's nothing wrong, but we all know that's a load of bull designed to save money.

Seems to me our head nay-sayer around here (duh-bya) was in the oil business. What's that tell ya?

I thought political threads were verboten here.

That's actually a telling comment. First, politics are off limits. But this is actually a matter of science, albeit one that the politicians jabber about constantly.

It will be interesting to see if these revelations lead to further disclosures by those affiliated with other scientists who may have been up to the same sort of hanky panky.

This is really nothing new . . . throughout history there have been innumerable instances of scientists manipulating data to support their viewpoints. It certainly happens on both sides of this debate. However, I happen to think that this is kind of amusing, given the virulent attacks that the supporters of the global warming theory have inflicted on those who have disagreed with them.

Yep, I have been following this for a few days, and still waiting for it to be picked up by any of the major news outlets.

I first learned of it from the New York Times on-line edition.

Yep, I have been following this for a few days, and still waiting for it to be picked up by any of the major news outlets.

Maybe we follow different news outlets, as I started reading about this on Friday. I don't count CNN or FNN among my major news outlets, because they broadcast the same drivel over and over and over again.

As Chou En-Lai said about the French revolution: Too soon to tell. I figure we should know definitively one way or the other in about 30 years, but I'll probably be dead by then.

I like the sell the stock suggestion, but for me I'd really like to be off the grid and supplying my own elec and fuel. I really admire those guys that rig up something in their sheds or garages and make their own power.

A little off topic, but your point is a very interesting one. I wonder how the environmental impact of individual power generation would compare to commercial generation. My uneducated guess is that commercial generation would be much cleaner.

Back to the original topic, if these stolen emails really do point to a conspiracy, I wouldn't be suprised. Any time you get two or more similarily-interested people together, you have a conspiracy. Personally, I believe that the financial and political interests of climate change will permanently taint the science behind it. But, stealing is stealing, and the theft of these emails does nothing helpful for those who argue against GW.

A little off topic, but your point is a very interesting one. I wonder how the environmental impact of individual power generation would compare to commercial generation. My uneducated guess is that commercial generation would be much cleaner.

That is an interesting question. Individual power generation would offset the huge transmission losses in the electrical grid, and having visited someone who lives off the grid in BC, I know that the limited power generation capabilities of solar houses tend to make their owners much more aware of power consumption, so they use fewer electrical devices. But, huge amounts of resources, including power, are required to build and maintain all the parts of thousands or millions of individual mini power plants. Perhaps the closest analog is septic vs sewer.

This reminds me of the cloth vs disposable diaper question, which turned out to be much more complicated than people initially thought. And that's the fundamental problem with the global warming controversy -- it's really, really complicated, and the effect, if any, takes place over a long period of time, while our brains are more comfortable dealing with short term problems. A long time by human perception; a blink of the eye geologically.

Archived