IGNORED

Deer - how to avoid?

Sailorlite

What I find interesting in this discussion is there is not ONE SINGLE mention of a little device known as DEER WHISTLES. I know what you're (everyone on the list) is going to say: "there's no proof that they work". And I'd agree with you. It's true: there's no documented proof that they work. However, I've been using them for well over 20 years, and (knock on wood) never had a deer (or other free roaming animal other than the incidental dog) come near me. In fact the deer that I've come across usually act like they knew I was coming!

You are correct in stating that there is no proof that the whistles work. However there are quite a few studies that pretty much prove that they in fact DO NOT work:

"The state police in Ohio, after months of testing, found no significant decrease in patrol car/deer accidents after the warning devices were installed. In fact, more accidents were reported by the officers after the whistles were installed than before for the same period of time and stretches of highway. Tests conducted in Utah, Georgia and Wisconsin also concluded that deer whistles don't work."

For more info google "deer whistle study". The objective evidence is pretty clear, deer whistles are nothing but snake oil.

Deer are like cats in a way, with reflexes seemingly automatic and they do not even know what they are going to do.

I remember listening to endless theorys on which way a deer would go when shot or spooked by something back at the game checkin shack on deer hunting reserve. Some old game wardens and some hunters with many years of hunting experience.

Some thought that they had an exit plan that could be put in effect in a split second when spooked/shot whatever. Others thought that they just reacted by exploding away from area in random flight. Pretty funny to listen to the arguments, and where to start searching when you hit a deer and wonder which way he would run.

Deer are like cats in a way, with reflexes seemingly automatic and they do not even know what they are going to do.

One way cats and deer are not alike is indicated by the disparate amount of road kill. I don't see many dead cats along the road. That was for levity.

IA is the 5th riskiest state according to those State Farm stats posted above. As much as I like to ride in the fall, I try to minimize riding during harvest season.

This doesn't add anything to the conversation. I do appreciate those of you who did contribute. It helps to build awareness.

AdventurePoser

What I find interesting in this discussion is there is not ONE SINGLE mention of a little device known as DEER WHISTLES.

You are correct in stating that there is no proof that the whistles work. However there are quite a few studies that pretty much prove that they in fact DO NOT work:

"The state police in Ohio, after months of testing, found no significant decrease in patrol car/deer accidents after the warning devices were installed. In fact, more accidents were reported by the officers after the whistles were installed than before for the same period of time and stretches of highway. Tests conducted in Utah, Georgia and Wisconsin also concluded that deer whistles don't work."

The reason there was no significant reduction is accidents is that these state entities are going about the research in the wrong manner. I've also conducted research and my results differ. As director of the prestigious "Close Cover before Striking Institute for Deer Whistles," I conclude that if you can teach the deer how to blow the whistles upon seeing a vehicle the driver/rider has ample time to slow down. Plus, while the deer is engaged in blowing the whistle they are preoccupied and do not think about running onto the highway.

Best,

Steve in So Cal

The reason there was no significant reduction is accidents is that these state entities are going about the research in the wrong manner. I've also conducted research and my results differ. As director of the prestigious "Close Cover before Striking Institute for Deer Whistles," I conclude that if you can teach the deer how to blow the whistles upon seeing a vehicle the driver/rider has ample time to slow down. Plus, while the deer is engaged in blowing the whistle they are preoccupied and do not think about running onto the highway.

Best,

Steve in So Cal

I've found smearing a thin coating of synthetic oil on my deer whistles significantly increases the range. I'm currently pursuing government funding to conduct a study on the efficacy of these devices as a deterent for elephants, rhinos and Burmese tigers. I'm poised to stand the whole DW industry on its head.

It might have been the type, as they had the trianglar opening and I know that the deer have trouble getting thier lips to seal ones that are not round....

:grin:

I recall a thread about the deer whistles a handful of years back. Someone produced information on the subject that showed that they do not work.

Pretty scary to ride with a whistle, believing it's helping. Very scary. Just saying...

My buddy believes in "deer whistles". He has had no deer issues while riding with them and that includes over 200,000 miles around North and South America. He bought a used KLR and took it for its first ride and hit a deer...without whistles mounted. Now he preaches even more about the worthless things.

So, I put a pair on just for fun. I went riding in Eastern Oregon, Montana, Idaho, South Dakota, Wyoming, etc. this year. My findings are that the deer whistles are worthless. I think they ATTRACT deer.

One morning I had 23 deer encounters in my first 7 miles of riding. One stupid doe crossed directly in front of me (I was doing 35 mph), she proceeded to then run parallel to me, cross in front of me AGAIN, parallel me again before finally peeling off the side of the road after a 1/4 mile run. I was staying just far enough away from her to avoid her, except if she decided to run and jump in my lap. I just wanted to see Darwin at work (her AND me)

The only sure thing about deer is that they are unpredictable. Most of my encounters happen at dusk and dawn by a 10:1 margin. Don't even get me started about encounters with elk :P

Don't even get me started about encounters with elk :P

Tell us about the Elk....

Steve in So Cal

Well, if you don't like encounters with deer, elk are worse, but less likely, and moose are worse yet.

Elk will usually be in a herd (but not always). The elk will go where the lead cow leads them. So, if you see one cow cross the road, usually the rest of the herd is soon to follow.

On my way home from teaching night school last month I had 28 elk cross in front of me on a 2 lane dark road. 20 of them crossed after I had stopped in the middle of the road. So, they usually won't break the "skirmish line" so to speak. The problem is, if you actually HIT one... The average Bambi goes 80-150 pounds. The average elk is 400-600 pounds. Well, you get the idea. If you hit a bull with antlers that are 6' long, that's a lot of Shiskabob. I doubt the best riding gear will cope well with that.

Now, DON'T ask me about moose. :rofl:

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV
I'll bite, tell us about moose!

Them Moose Goosers

How about Them Moose Goosers,

Ain't they recluse?

Up in them boondocks

Goosin' them moose.

Goosin' them huge moose,

Goosin' them tiny,

Goosin' them meadow-moose,

In they hiny.

Look at Them Moose Goosers,

Ain't they dumb?

Some use an umbrella,

Some use a thumb.

Them obtuse Moose Goosers,

Sneakin' through the woods,

Pokin' them snoozy moose

In they goods.

How to be a Moose Gooser?

I'll turn ye puce.

Gitchy gooser loose and

Rouse a drowsy moose!

by: Mason Williams

I was just at my local dealer picking up a few things. They sell this one: http://www.deerwhistle.com/ and a few there said it made a difference. YMMV YMMV YMMV

But for $8 what the hell!

My buddy that rides a GW has an bell under his bike that keeps him safe so he doesn't need those whistles. :thumbsup:

I was just at my local dealer picking up a few things. They sell this one: http://www.deerwhistle.com/ and a few there said it made a difference. YMMV YMMV YMMV

But for $8 what the hell!

My buddy that rides a GW has an bell under his bike that keeps him safe so he doesn't need those whistles. :thumbsup:

Hummm, that's a good one. A Harley Bro I know has a cowbell under his bike. I never knew what it was for.

When I'm in areas I know have lots of deer, I ride the drunk bumps. (As long as there's no on coming traffic) The sound a vehicle makes going over those at speed scares 'em out of the road and away.

Archived