IGNORED

6 cylinder BMW Concept

Whip

No doubt someone is already making touring pegs for this super sports tourer. Hope it has a large capacity tank so as to get at least 120 miles between stops.

There has been a lot of talk lately from BMW (engineering people) that BMW is looking at a 6 cylinder for use in the K-LT.. Sounds like they might be going after the GoldWing market with the future LT..

None of my BMW contacts will confirm anything for me though..

Twisty

It's been widely reported that that's the 6-cyl that will end up in next year's LT. Here's a quote from the BMW press release on the Concept 6: "The new BMW straight-six will further expand the K-Series in the foreseeable future. The first model to be introduced will be an innovative and luxurious BMW touring machine. Reflecting the tradition of the BMW K-Series, this will of course be a genuine top-of-the-line product."

And they continue: "Output of the new six-cylinder will be in approximately the same range as on BMW’s 1.3-litre straight-four power units. Torque, on the other hand, will be right at the top of the range, even in comparison with the largest motorcycle engines, such superior power and muscle coming inter alia from engine capacity of no less than 1.6 litres. The engine’s power and performance characteristics are equally impressive, offering 130 Nm or 96 lb-ft of torque from just 2,000 rpm and at the same time revving up almost to 9,000 rpm – a dynamic potential quite unparalleled in the tourer segment. This alone qualifies the engine of the Concept 6 as the ideal power unit for a wide range of different motorcycles."

Full press kit, including photos and videos (bike's not moving, though) available at this link:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/p/pcgl/showTextTopic.html?left_menu_item=node__2295

Cool bike but forget about working on it yourself.... valve adjust or throttle body sync will be tough!

If it is anything like the 6 cylinder motors that they use in their cars.......you won't have to worry about either. In their cars, they use one single throttle body with 6 intake runners, and hydraulic valve adjusters. The only exception to this is the M cars.

If they do this right, the only maintenance involved should be fluid changes

Cool bike but forget about working on it yourself.... valve adjust or throttle body sync will be tough!

Yeah, but I think that those with enough money to buy one of these will have enough money to pay to have it worked on. Alas, it will not be me. Anyone want to buy a kidney? A lung? How about testicles? Two for the price of one. God knows I don't need them anymore.

I agree.....I guess if I were in my 20's with a LOT of money, the time, the ability to ride for long distances bent over and the reaction times to take advantage of so much power and flicability I would be salivating like a dog about to get a milk bone!

Archived