IGNORED

Crikey, low beam bulb lasted only 6k! RT12

Hall Vince

I wasn't expected that.

Philips X-Treme Power H7 I put a pair in at around 6,000 miles ago. Tonight, I fire up the bike to ride home in the dark and the RH one pops (hardest one to fit IMO even with my small hands). I've stuck the original back in now, I have a couple more spare Philips X-Treme Powers but I'm not going to bother using them if they keep going at such short milage, that every 3 months for me at the moment.

I might stick em in my FF50's when I fit them as they'll be on high beam only.

I wonder whether it's worth switching the lights off until the revs have settled a bit after a start, I think there might be a power surge after the heavy drain for starting which isn't helping the life of the bulbs.

I wonder whether it's worth switching the lights off until the revs have settled a bit after a start...

How would you do that? It takes a good 10 seconds of button pushing to turn the low beams off, and then you'd have to start the engine all over again to turn them back on. Am I missing something?

I have had good long service out of standard-issue bulbs from Walmart so intend to stick with those.

Jay

I wonder whether it's worth switching the lights off until the revs have settled a bit after a start...

How would you do that? It takes a good 10 seconds of button pushing to turn the low beams off, and then you'd have to start the engine all over again to turn them back on. Am I missing something?

Jay

Yes with the cancel and RH indicator option is what I was thinking. (I still forgot to this morning mind)

I can reactivate the lights by flashing the high beam either by using the high beam flasher switch or by switching to high beam. The low beams come back on then.

Headlights have a good old-fashioned on-off switch in europe

Courtney in Seattle

Fraid not on my 2007 RT12. I have to use the method above.

Display shows the bulb out warning while lights are off as well, so you don't forget I suppose.

I am looking at some heavy duty bulbs from a UK supplier but I wonder if they will be as bright. Brighter than a blown one would be mind.

\v/

I wasn't expected that.

Philips X-Treme Power H7 I put a pair in at around 6,000 miles ago. Tonight, I fire up the bike to ride home in the dark and the RH one pops (hardest one to fit IMO even with my small hands). I've stuck the original back in now, I have a couple more spare Philips X-Treme Powers but I'm not going to bother using them if they keep going at such short milage, that every 3 months for me at the moment.

I might stick em in my FF50's when I fit them as they'll be on high beam only.

I wonder whether it's worth switching the lights off until the revs have settled a bit after a start, I think there might be a power surge after the heavy drain for starting which isn't helping the life of the bulbs.

I've been using the Philips X-treme for a while now on my 07 RT with 73K miles. I've never had one go at such low mileage. I'm getting about 18-20K miles out them in my low neams.

FWIW, I just bought two standard Hella H7's from Amazon.com for $6.03 ea. delivered to my door. (You have to order over $25.00 total to get the free shipping, so add some printer ink or something).

Welcome to H7 hell!

In my experience the cheapo "standard" H7 bulbs last twice as long (12,000+ miles) than the so-called premiums like Silverstar (under 6,000 miles). I never found the premiums to be much brighter anyway.

I've had my best success with the Osram 65w H7/H9. Its an H9 burner on an H7 base. Much brighter than the standard Sylvania or stock H7. I installed one as my low beam a year ago, and its going strong after 14,000+ miles.

I ordered four more from Cyclenutz.com (LINK) so I ought to be set for a while.

Archived