IGNORED

Brake pads

Dave_C

Installed Galfer brake pads from Cycle Gear on my r1200rt. A little less initial bite than the BMW pads but otherwise just fine. Sometimes a teeny bit of squeek. But TONS of brake dust!! My wheels are filthy. But the pads were about 1/3 the price of the BMW pads. So...mixed review. Anyone else had good luck with aftermarket pads?

:):(

Installed Galfer brake pads from Cycle Gear on my r1200rt. A little less initial bite than the BMW pads but otherwise just fine. Sometimes a teeny bit of squeek.

My Carbone Lorraine pads started squeaking recently; what do people do to stop it? Plenty of pad left. I'm thinking of pulling the pads, sanding them lightly on a piece of mirror glass, and scrubbing the rotors with the 3M scratchy pad stuff whose name I can't remember. OR, just apply a little bit of anti-squeak stuff to the backs of the pads?

Apply a dab of disc brake caliper lube (I use Permatex Ultra Synthetic)on the back of your pads where the pistons contact them and on the disc pins and you shouldn't hear another peep from them.

I pulled the pads today, cleaned and polished the pin for each caliper, sprayed a little disk quiet compound on the backs of the pads, cleaned the rotors, and re-assembled. No more squeak, and even the normal noise of the pads against the rotors seems quieter.

Ah a newbie to breaking! HH are sintered metal,ceramic and carbon fibers. They are fantastic. Top of the heap type stuff.

Your black pads are known as "organic" via carbon. HH are everything else "spaceage".

It's the VW vs. Porsche analogy. They do the same thing... one just does it better.

Ah a newbie to breaking!

Oh, believe me, I've broken plenty of stuff. I am new to aftermarket brake pads. The OEM replacements are frickin' expensive, thus my desire to look around.

Ah a newbie to breaking!

Oh, believe me, I've broken plenty of stuff. I am new to aftermarket brake pads. The OEM replacements are frickin' expensive, thus my desire to look around.

My thought too, so I got Carbone Lorraine from Beemer Boneyard - $60 delivered for both sets for the front. Replacement took all of 5 minutes per side on my 2006 R1200RT. So far, no complaints. Seem to work great and are as quiet as any other pads. Considering that the dealer wanted $98 per set for the two front sets, I believe I saved some significant bucks.

Good Source for the EBC HH pads?

Check eBay seller, partsfixation. They sell full sets of EBC HH pads (2 front & 1 rear) for around $90 shipped.

EBC pads are nice, and the CL pads from the 'boneyard are similar and also available in the more agressive HH formulation for the fronts all for about a third of what BMW of America seems to think thier stuff is worth. Hell for all we know the "factory" pads are made by Carbone Lorriane, I am sure that BMW is not producing them in house, it is just not cost effective.

Archived