IGNORED

Newbie Q&AQ Buying 2000 R1100RT Accessories

twowheelsonly

twowheelsonly

Hello,

This is my first post I just completed the purchase of a Blue Gray 2000 RT, only 21000 miles.. Pretty good condition,

Q: needs new tires.. will mainly ride solo,Like to get as long life as possible and good handling.. suggestions?

Q: needs some paint touchup the saddlebags, where to get it, want the touchup paint to match the bike,

Q:Need to grow another inch (29" inseam) in the leg or lower the bike about 1.5" so I can get my feet firmly planted on the ground. Best and safest Solution?

Q: bike comes with the comfort seat which isn't too comfortable for me so what do you recommend for lower seating position and real riding comfort say 500 to 750 miles per day..

Appreciate the input and your help!

Thanks!

Stewart

I also have a 29" inseam, and my solution was to get a "low" version Sargent seat. This allows me to get more of my feet down, although I still can't flat-foot it. But that is good enough for me.

A Sargent seat may also help with the long distance comfort. Although, seat comfort seems to be very subjective, so it would help if you could find a way to try one out before buying.

Others have opted for lowering the whole bike with custom shocks, but that can be pretty expensive (not that a Sargent seat set isn't expensive!)

Be careful about doing anything too expensive or dramatic to lower it a lot until you get used to the bike, though. You may find that you don't really need to lower it as much as you think in order to be comfortable and confident. I have seen comments from people who spent a lot of money and effort to lower it, and then eventually wished they hadn't lowered it so much.

twowheelsonly

Thanks for the input, I thought I had read that the factory comfort seat raised the rider as it is wider than the stock seat.. I appreciate your tip and have a good night!

Stewart

• I came from Metzler tires, but prefer the Pilot Road IIs now.

• Replacing the comfort seat with the stock seat will likely get you the added reach you need.

• Most of us don't have painted side cases. Check w/the dealer for color-matched paint.

Some (ok....maybe a lot) equate the the stock seat w/some type of torture device, but I have no problem with it for repeated days of the mileage you're talking.

Hope that helps! Welcome to the board!! :wave:

Q: needs new tires.. will mainly ride solo,Like to get as long life as possible and good handling.. suggestions?

Q: needs some paint touchup the saddlebags, where to get it, want the touchup paint to match the bike,

Q:Need to grow another inch (29" inseam) in the leg or lower the bike about 1.5" so I can get my feet firmly planted on the ground. Best and safest Solution?

Q: bike comes with the comfort seat which isn't too comfortable for me so what do you recommend for lower seating position and real riding comfort say 500 to 750 miles per day..

Tyres....mmmm...We all seem to have different opinions depending on riding style, road conditions, road surface in your area. I feel you will just have to bite the bullet and buy a reputable make.

Paint...If you have colour matched bags, go to a local body shop and get a small quantity made up for you.

Seat height...others who have been down that route will respond.

The seat comfort issue is again a personal one BUT there is one thing which will help a lot and that is ensuring you have - say - a 5mm spacer fitted under the seat adjusting mechanism. This gets rid of a slide forward that the original design forces onto the stock seats.

I just bought a 2000 R1100RT a couple months ago.

Tires? Its all up to you. I replaced the metzlrs with the same Z6.

The height thing. I had the seat all the way lowered so I could reach the ground quite well. I ended moving the seat up a notch for driving comfort. I can still tip toe both feet or one foot flat with the other one on the peg (holding the brake) I find I can drive the bike better with the seat up a notch. So I don't tune the bike for 5% of my riding (stopped).

For the tipped seat thing. It was pushing me into the tank. I cut the rear rubber bumpers on the seat in half and cut the tits on the rear of the seat in half. This made it a little lower and stopped pushing me into the tank. On the lowest setting it works great. On the next one up, the seat rocks a little if I lean forward. It worked for me. I was told its a BMW comfort seat when I bought it but I never checked.

5,000 miles later, its a great bike.

David

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

Hi Stewart - not to not answer your question but to point out - the questions you pose are fairly topical... if you use the search option you likely can get a week of reading.

the trick... use the plus sign.

so"+lowering +options " might be a good search.

"+paint +touchup +saddlebag" , another good search. etc.

search not just oilheads but also 'bike related things' and include say up to 3 years of material.

happy hunting.

oh - and despite all the threads i think you will find unanimous conclusions elusive. :^)

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Stewart,

What's wrong? You didn't ask about HID lighting :clap:

No worries. You will eventually. Welcome and enjoy. I might already have a good seat but, found that non-brief, minimal seam, underwear makes long rides more comfy.

twowheelsonly

Hello to everyone I appreciate all the input.

I am aware of the seat adjustment but the seat is already in the lowest position and I want to be able to plant my feet on the ground, both feet that is. I only need an inch and I know I have the comfort seat which apparently is not the lowest seating position.. I will keep the seamless underwear in mind!!!!

I have an HID system H3/H4 already in hand and am hoping it will fit without too much mod to the headlight bucket.

I have always used Mobil 1 on any vehicle I own,, I use the green top as it does not contain all the friction modifiers of the other types.. I am not sure but assume the clutch is a wet type and is part of the engine oiling.

Thanks again!

Stewart

If you just need an inch get some harley riding boots, they have a 3/4" thick sole and the heel is 1.5". I got them and there're very comfortable also. Bad part is you need to lower your pegs

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

re: "use the mobile 1 green top " " clutch wet type and is part of the engine oiling"

oil thread? woohoo!

i read here to use silver top.

clutch is dry

Do your self a favor, ride the bike for a while. The comfort seat does break in after a few thousand miles. Actually you break in to the seat too. It works for me. I have a lot of room to move around even with a passenger.

Compared to my R75/6 with a passenger, the RT is a bus. I think it drives better two up.

I don't think they make a seat I could ride 500 to 750 miles in a day. 300 is the most I have done. No sore butt.

What was your last bike?

David

Hello to everyone I appreciate all the input.

I am aware of the seat adjustment but the seat is already in the lowest position and I want to be able to plant my feet on the ground, both feet that is. I only need an inch and I know I have the comfort seat which apparently is not the lowest seating position.. I will keep the seamless underwear in mind!!!!

I have an HID system H3/H4 already in hand and am hoping it will fit without too much mod to the headlight bucket.

I have always used Mobil 1 on any vehicle I own,, I use the green top as it does not contain all the friction modifiers of the other types.. I am not sure but assume the clutch is a wet type and is part of the engine oiling.

Thanks again!

Stewart

clutch is single disc/dry.Just like in a car.Trans mission is separate from engine with it's own oil in it.
twowheelsonly

My Last Bike.. I still have.. It"s a 2004 Yamaha Venture.. love it, been super reliable and great for cruising around, I think I got every option except AC and a wiper on it.. Venture riders are really a great group people and they have a lot of grreat events just like your group does..

I just wanted get myself a Touring bike so I could so some longer distance traveling in a shorter time, I am really excited about the Beemer I just got to get it dialed in to me and I am pretty spoiled from the Venture. It needs some TLC and with all the help I got from this group I am sure it will make everyone proud, The RT definitely looks good.. handles great even with bad tires and brakes.. just got to get my feet on the ground.. a better seat, almost sounds like the beads may work & I will keep my progress posted for everyone to see..

Ride Safe and Thanks Again!

Stewart

Hello Stewart,

Not wanting to start anything, but want to give you my opinion. I purchased an '02 R1150RT in May with 10K miles from the original owner. My plan was to then sell my '05 Royal Star Tour Deluxe on which I put 35K miles. I wanted a sport/tourer thus the BMW.

What I have found is the BMW is the best for handling and braking. The RSTD has spoiled me for the touring part. I took a 3,800 mile trip to Canada and back this summer (8 days)and though too long a trip in too few of days, it was made better by the RSTD.

I have only put on 2,500 miles in 6 months on the BMW. I am still trying to get used to it. I have a Sargent seat, added the Elf pegs and soon to add Throttlemaster for the cruise part and vibration reduction. Until I do, I am keeping both bikes. I think it must be the weight difference. You mentioned getting the BMW for touring and longer miles. I hope it works out better for you than me thusfar. Just my honest opinion, Ken.

twowheelsonly

Hey Ken,

Well I have to agree with your evaluation so far.. I really like my Venture, it rides good, has lots of storage, gets about 45+ miles to a gallon and likes to cruise at 80 mph.. I live near North Georgia, lots of great roads to ride and I was thinking for riding solo the BMW would suit me to a T.. that been said I am still confident that it will satisfy some of my desires and I guess time will tell.. Appreciate the input and keep in touch! Oh Yeh! One advantage of having 2 bikes is you always got something to ride..

Stewart

twowheelsonly

Picture of my 2000 RT Just thought I would show it off a bit, Needs Wax and a Good Set of Tires! Other than that she's only got 21000 miles on her.

My other Ride, Very cool and I'm Excited

If you like other bikes, I do here's my Venture

Out and about on my way to Key West

You almost brough tears to my eyes. I had a 2000 R1100RT exactly like it. Beautiful! I should have kept it.

Those lines is why I bought an '04 1150RT, and not the more modern and updated '05 and later. I don't care about the improvements, power and all else. I just love the lines.

Enjoy!

BTW, I did a couple of Iron Butts on my RT with the comfort seat. We all ahave different butts and comfort tresholds, that's why my favorite way to finish a post is: YMMV

You almost brough tears to my eyes. I had a 2000 R1100RT exactly like it. Beautiful! I should have kept it.

Those lines is why I bought an '04 1150RT, and not the more modern and updated '05 and later. I don't care about the improvements, power and all else. I just love the lines.

Enjoy!

Well, I did "upgrade" from my R11RT to a new R12RT. I really love the new bike. Rides great, all the +'s that people speak about are there, but when I walk into my garage the look just doesn't get the heart pumping like the R11. I thought the R11 and 1150 old styles were beautiful bikes. The new ones, not so much.

ride for a rush

i also cut down the rubbers on the back of my about 1/4" and add some thick platic shims to the front seat mount on the conferont seat to make it a better ride i can do 650 miles one day and 650 the next. i rode from hilton head nc. to canton oh. in one day it was to much for confort or safty about 930mi.

Archived