IGNORED

Step away from the buffet

lawnchairboy

I was fortunate enough to make good on a family promise to take everybody to Mickey world over the last week. A good time was had by all.

Even though I interact with obese patients nearly daily on the job, I was completely dumfounded at the amount of morbidly obese and super obese (a real category) people walking and being electrically carried in and around the parks.

America, put down your forks, or at least find the salad bar. Holy cow.

Dave McReynolds

I expect the problem is in front of you at this very moment! 20 years ago, when I needed a few minutes break from work, I would walk around the block, or at least walk over to visit with one of my co-workers. When I needed to get some papers, or to do some tax research, I had to walk somewhere to do that. If I wanted to talk with my boss, I had to walk down the hall to see if he was available.

Now what do I do? The same as all the rest of you, exercise my fingers!

John Ranalletta
I suspect that there's some secret ingredient in Diet Coke that has caused most of this.

There's a growing school of thought that the corn-based sweeteners may, in fact, play a large roll in weight gain.

Added to that, more corn-based foods, especially snack foods, are being consumed by all of us; and, as any good cattle

farmer knows, there's nothing like corn for creating PRIME grades of beef cuts that are well marbled with fat.

Wagyu_DSC6301.jpg

Dave,

Get a long cord and take your computer with you.

I'm eating a Reese's Peanut butter cup while typing this.

Is that bad?

Fast food and short lives. I wonder with the economy and such, are people eating at home more often and eating better, or splurging at McDonalds in the $1.00 menu, and probably saving money while killing themselves.

I got 12 words for you: Vanilla raspberry cheesecake chocolate fudge swirl with peanut almond macadamia pretzel clusters.

Now put on your sneakers and go for a run.

as far as stable employment... funeral home director with a crematorium on site is the way to go!

PS-luv a good buffet (especially at WDW). :P

I suspect that there's some secret ingredient in Diet Coke that has caused most of this.

The word "Diet"?

'Zactly. A sucker bet, with zillions of takers daily. :(

Back on topic: I'd add "And turn off the TV." TV viewers are bombarded with food advertising. A sedentary pastime that stimulates cravings and hunger is a wicked combination.

John Ranalletta
as far as stable employment... funeral home director with a crematorium on site is the way to go!

PS-luv a good buffet (especially at WDW). :P

Ya think? Major metro area morgues are overflowing with unclaimed bodies; plus, the move to "green" burials means no caskets and a buyer's market in formaldehyde.

4750.jpg.ee36d2626e333b1db848cd1baff74a2c.jpg

John Ranalletta

The word "Diet"?

'Zactly. A sucker bet, with zillions of takers daily. :(

Back on topic: I'd add "And turn off the TV." TV viewers are bombarded with food advertising. A sedentary pastime that stimulates cravings and hunger is a wicked combination.

Aside from the lack of discipline (moi), one of the big contributors is variety.

I tried a no-carb diet a few years ago and dropped a lot of weight very quickly. It soon became apparent why. After a couple weeks of eating the same stuff, you just stop eating. Even bacon-wrapped shrimp and prime rib become boring after a while.

Vicious_Cycler
I was fortunate enough to make good on a family promise to take everybody to Mickey world over the last week. A good time was had by all.

Even though I interact with obese patients nearly daily on the job, I was completely dumfounded at the amount of morbidly obese and super obese (a real category) people walking and being electrically carried in and around the parks.

My family and I are WDW frequent flyers. Cheesy, I know, but we love it even down to riding Small World multiple times (blushing icon). However, there have been a few AYCE meals where we were palpably uncomfortable with the magnitude of waste and unrestrained consumption. The last time we ate at Ohana, I could have stood with Ken H. :wave: in righteous indignation. Our table was the weird one that didn't take 2nds and 3rds on everything offered. Apparently even Calvinist hedonists (oxymoron) such as myself have limits, :S go figure.

Probably the rationalization that calories saved by drinking diet soda should not be squandered but used in eating more stuff.

Oh you can eat healthy at fast food if you eat right. The Tee is a low-carb person. He tosses the buns off the burgers and gets side salads instead of fries.

Carl's Jr. and Inn & Out will even give you lettuce wrapped burgers. High in fat sure, but the worst things for you in most fast food is 1) fries, 2) soft drinks, and 3) buns.

You can, by the way, get a double hamburger off the dollar menu with fairly low fat (little meat to begin with), and for another dollar get a nice Ceasar side salad. $2 for something that is reasonably healthy.

News article today said that disability rates of leading-edge boomers (Hi Pilgrim!) are significantly higher than they were for 60-65 year-olds ten years ago. Off-the-cuff analysis indicates that what you do when young catches up when you are old. I inferred that the doctor was talking about overeating, smoking and failure to exercise.

At 20 lb overweight, and a lover of full-sugar Coca-Cola, and hater of excercise, my future is uncertain.

Vicious_Cycler
It may depend on where you fall on the curve.

Sorry...

;)

couldn't resist.

:)

I assume you are assuming a normal distribution? :wave:

Not trying to sterotype here but me thinks obesity is directly proportional to

income

education

dependence on public assistance and social services

employment

race

health care

culture

inherited generational traits and habits

genes

smoking, substance abuse

unlawful behavior

and the biggie..TV viewing habits

In relation to "income": I have the feeling and observation that the worst offenders are of low but not poverty income level. In the country at popular low price restaurants with "all you can eat" plans, like Shoney's, it is packed with families where pop, mom, AND the kids are extremely obese. Seems like the only luxury they can afford is eating a lot.

OK. Here goes. Ready for the blasts...

When I was a kid in school, the fat kid generally didn't make the cut for the team. He sulked, licked his wounds and worked out all summer to make the team next year. The "fat girl" didn't make the cheer leading squad. She sulked, cried and did what she had to do to get on next year.

Did you wince when you read the words "fat kid"? Today, in order to be politically correct the "weight challenged" kid gets to play. Why put in any effort if you are a shoe in? Parents don't help. They coddle, enable and sue for their kids "right" not to be excluded or singled out.

When I was a kid, dads worked, moms were full time moms and made nutritious meals for her family. Today, to make ends meet, moms work and are exhausted and it's much easier to grab some KFC.

No wonder....

John Ranalletta

Exercising and passing up rich foods is unpleasant and not likely things someone will do unless they discipline themselves; and, people usually discipline their appetites when they perceive a greater good will ensue if they do.

I'd offer that people who have little hope, are feeling badly - for whatever reason might indulge as a way to being nice to oneself when nobody else is.

As a reformed 2-pack-a-day smoker, I found it easier to quit the smokes than dieting because I didn't have to smoke just a little bit every day to survive.

This is probably going to sound corny, but there's much more than a kernel of truth: root problem of the obesity we've been seeing the last couple of decades is a direct result of: corn. There's a direct correlation between the rise of obesity and introduction of corn sweeteners into the American diet, and of the addition of corn products into practically everything we eat, including meats.

There's a lot of good solid science to back this up. A very accessible overview is Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma."

funeral home director with a crematorium on site is the way to go!

I worked in a cemetery for several years back in college. You ever seen one of them morbidly obese folks come out the chimney? Not a pretty sight....

I wasn't going to reply to this but my daughter is visiting from South Carolina and is a CRNA. She was talking today at all of the grossly obese people she puts to sleep on the east coast. Not sure what Mickey World you went to, but I agree it is a HUGE (lol) problem in the USA.........

And I too could weigh 350 lbs as I am a chocoholic/desert freak at times......I just know that I need to put down the rest of the pie and move on......willpower to feed is not an easy thing to overcome.

Look at how easy it is to down calories? Drive thru this and that........AMAZING.

This is probably going to sound corny, but there's much more than a kernel of truth: root problem of the obesity we've been seeing the last couple of decades is a direct result of: corn. There's a direct correlation between the rise of obesity and introduction of corn sweeteners into the American diet, and of the addition of corn products into practically everything we eat, including meats.

There's a lot of good solid science to back this up. A very accessible overview is Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma."

Yep, High Fructose Corn Syrup is in just about everything and it a factor in diabetes and obesity. I try to stay away from it as well as trans fats.

You ever seen one of them morbidly obese folks come out the chimney? Not a pretty sight....

Saw a(nother)photo of some 800 pounder splayed out on a 'bed', various medical machines and such nearby. Seems the rescue people had to dismantle the house to hoist him out.

Comment in the news article said he is a compulsive eater. No sh*t! :eek: The question I always ask is 'He can't move, who keeps feeding him?' And, who gets to pay for his 'care'? We do.

I wasn't the fat kid, I was just a victim of "extra gravity!" :dopeslap:

Dianne and I did the south beach diet a while back and I dropped about 45lbs in 3 months.

I started to do a light, easy bodyweight work out and traded fat for some muscle mass.

Now, if there was only a good beer that wasn't as full of empty calories for all of its yumminess! (And don't say Amstel light either... blecch!)

I am glad someone mentioned drive-through's. As I type, I just read a story that a local concert venue in Concord, California (Sleep Train Pavilion) will hold a Swine Flu clinic (can't get used to say H1N1) with drive up inoculations.

They will need the huge parking lot to handle the plethora of Tahoes, Suburbans and mini-vans idling in line for hours.

Imagine the crumb-crunchers in the back seat of these SUV's whining and fighting.

Another example of enabling obesity at it's finest.

They will need the huge parking lot to handle the plethora of Tahoes, Suburbans and mini-vans idling in line for hours.

Imagine the crumb-crunchers in the back seat of these SUV's whining and fighting.

Another example of enabling obesity at it's finest.

Could be a good thing. Keeping the 'crumb-crunchers' isolated while in line might save some from catching whatever 'bug' the others might have. Hope they have the soccer moms turn the engine off, though.

Exercising and passing up rich foods is unpleasant and not likely things someone will do unless they discipline themselves; and, people usually discipline their appetites when they perceive a greater good will ensue if they do.

I'd offer that people who have little hope, are feeling badly - for whatever reason might indulge as a way to being nice to oneself when nobody else is.

As a reformed 2-pack-a-day smoker, I found it easier to quit the smokes than dieting because I didn't have to smoke just a little bit every day to survive.

A good analogy.

Makes you wonder how much carbon is tied up in these people.

Crematoriums should investigate the option of emissions trading / earning carbon credits or return of energy to the power grid.

A 300 lb body would, I would guess contain a substantial amount of reclaimable {such a word} energy.

A good analogy.

Seven weeks ago, I started following the author Dr. Dean Ornish's vegetarian diet but with 1% fat cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese. I stopped drinking diet soda (all soda actually), and any caffine. I don't drink much alcohol, two light beers only so far. I thought this would be impossible for me to do, but Ornish writes that it is easier to just make a big change once. Well it's working real well, and I don't have any cravings. I added some fish to my diet for omega fatty acid, but if it wasn't for that it really wouldn't matter.

This diet change and beginning to work out with weights and threadmill has caused a 20 pound weight drop so far, and I'm feeling much healthier.

Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it.

Funny thing in a "Step away from the buffet thread" is the book that brought this big change to my life is titled Eat More, Weigh Less (Ornish has an updated book titled The Spectrum that I haven't read yet).

I agree with JohnRan, and find that the greater health benefits that Dr. Ornish describes has been a major motivation for me, and I'm glad to be able to get this going before I encounter a health problem, (but Ornish's program is actually designed for those already in trouble).

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

re: eat more, weigh less -

there is also this - eat clean - - its not a diet really - or not a short term one anyway...

the packaged food industry is NOT interested in your well being - i try not to eat anything that was not around at least 100 years ago (and/or nothing that you could not make at home) - .

From the blog and new book of the same name - "This Is Why You're Fat"

BACON CINNAMON ROLLS

INGREDIENTS

• 1 container bacon strips

• 1 container cream cheese

• 1 roll ready-to-cook cinnamon rolls

DIRECTIONS

Cook the bacon in a pan until one side is mostly done, but not fully cooked through. Dry the bacon of grease, then slather the mostly cooked side of the bacon with cream cheese.

Unroll the cinnamon rolls on a hard surface. Place the cream cheese-slathered bacon onto the unrolled cinnamon rolls. Roll the cinnamon rolls back up with the cream cheese bacon inside.

Place the rolls on a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 17-20 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and top with icing provided in the cinnamon roll packaging.

DEEP-FRIED COKE

INGREDIENTS

• 1 teaspoon baking powder

• 2 eggs

• 1 1/2 cups Coke

• Whipped cream

• Maraschino cherries

DIRECTIONS

Mix together flour and baking powder. Add eggs and Coke and mix until a batter is formed. Pour 1/3 cup batter into a funnel, dropper or turkey baster and pour into a skillet filled with oil. Fry for a minute on each side.

Serve warm, garnished with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.

BACON MAC AND CHEESE MEATLOAF

INGREDIENTS

• 2 eggs

• 2 slices wheat bread, crumbled

• 2 tablespoons ketchup

• 1 large garlic clove, minced

• 2 tablespoon parsley, minced

• Worcestershire sauce to taste

• Cayenne pepper to taste

• Salt to taste

• Black pepper to taste

• 1 1/4 cups onion, sliced

• 10 strips of bacon

• Premade macaroni and cheese

DIRECTIONS

Mix ground chuck, eggs, bread, ketchup, garlic, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper with hands in a large bowl.

Meanwhile, sweat onion until translucent but not brown. Allow onions to cool, then add to meat mixture. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and move to refrigerator.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lay bacon across the width of a loaf pan. Press a layer of meat into the bottom of the pan, on top of the bacon. This layer should fill exactly one third of the loaf pan.

Scoop some of the macaroni and cheese into the loaf pan, making sure to press out any air bubbles. This layer should also fill one third of the loaf pan.

Form a slab of meat in the approximate size and shape of the remaining one third of the loaf pan. Transfer the slab to the loaf pan. Add or remove meat as necessary to ensure a snug fit.

Fold strips of bacon back over the top of the meatloaf. Roast until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.

:eek::P:P:cry:

Archived