IGNORED

Best non-WiFi internet access for laptop?

KTsRidin

Okay oh great BMWST Oracle, what are some good options for non-WiFi internet access. Here's how I envision using this.

I'm on a long ride and really need to do some quick route work that includes checking on potential stop information (i.e., I'm on the IB5000 and I want to be sure the road the GPS is sending me down isn't a goat trail or the best approach for a stop).

I currently have WiFi, but if I'm not near a library or coffeehouse, what can I do?

My current cell phone (with Verizon) is rather old and most definitely ratty, so I could see replacing it with something I could use to access the internet, but I've never used the technology and am looking for advice.

Thanks for your sage insights :)

Kirsten

MyFi from either Verizon or Sprint (or other carriers).

I would *guess* that Verizon has the best overall coverage in the US/north america.

This is how it works:

Laptop with Wifi =wifinetwork=> MyFi card =cellnetwork=> Internet

Verizon: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=products_mifi&CMP=KNC-PaidSearch&rf=google.com

Sprint: MiFi™ 2200 by Novatel Wireless

found at http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/SubmitRegionAction?isUpgradePathForCoverage=false&currZipCode=&upgradeOption=&nextPage=DisplayPhones&equipmentSKUurlPart=%3FcurrentPage%3DphonePage&filterStringParamName=filterString%3DMobile_Broadband_Devices_Phone_Char&newZipCode=06400&x=34&y=10

I haven't used either one.

I have the Verizon Mobile Broadband that uses a USB modem. I use it on the road and at home. It is my sole internet connection. Overall I'm very pleased with it. It is rare that I can't connect even way out in the boonies.

I have the Verizon Mobile Broadband that uses a USB modem. I use it on the road and at home. It is my sole internet connection. Overall I'm very pleased with it. It is rare that I can't connect even way out in the boonies.

ditto!

Nice to hear the kudo's on the Verizon solution. All other things being equal, I'd still try the MyFi thing, to reduce the # of wires to plug in to the laptop.

I just got the 2200 mobile hot spot and it works very well....they have a 5Gb per month limit on the plan and I am still waiting to see if that is enough, but over all I am pleased with the service. I have a verizon phone but apparently this device runs off of their data network so the service area isn't always the same.

So, it looks like Verizon Mobile Broadband is an option and then I just need to decide if I want the USB thing to stick on the laptop or a the MyFi to run a number of WiFi devices....

Does anyone know what 5GB looks like ... I mean, I have NO idea how much I up/download a month.

Keep the suggestions... thoughts... puny input coming :)

Nice to hear the kudo's on the Verizon solution. All other things being equal, I'd still try the MyFi thing, to reduce the # of wires to plug in to the laptop.

?

Modem pluses

No wires with the USB modem. direct plug-in.

No additional charger/batteries or additional USB cable needed for the modem.

More compact than MiFi.

Modem minuses

In weak signal areas, laptop must be where reception is adequate. MiFi allows greater laptop positioning flexibility.

Modem network connection not directly sharable.

5GB is a TON in terms of upload. The average user won't output 5GB of content in 5 years.

However, 5GB isn't much in terms of download, if you use the thing much for web-browsing.

If all you're going to do is check maps, and that sort of thing, the limit is more than plenty. In fact, if all you're going to use it for is the sort of thing you list - consider a netbook, or internet enabled phone.

In fact, many of the phones allow you to use the net ON the phone, or connect the phone to your laptop and connect to the net that way. (So you don't have to pay for two data plans...)

I'm no expert, but I'll add a couple of thoughts:

My wife has a Sprint broadband card that she uses for her work laptop. The coverage is very good and the connection speed is generally pretty fast. Verizon and AT&T offer similar products. My personal experience (with smartphones) has been that AT&T's data coverage is spottier than Verizon's, but somewhat faster in areas with good coverage.

Some of the major carriers offer the option to "tether" a mobile phone to your laptop, using the phone as a modem. Some carriers, like Sprint, are downright hostile to this and don't offer it at all. Others do, but you need to be careful of the cost--I was just reading about Verizon's planned "unlimited" tethering plan for the new Droid, and not only is the plan not really "unlimited," the costs are fairly high.

If you're only rarely going to use broadband, then buying a phone with a tethering capability seems like a good move. However, if you plan to use it on a frequent basis, it seems to me that it would be kind of a pain in the neck to have to hook up your phone and go through the tethering ritual every time you want to use your laptop. The broadband cards seem like an easier solution. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably look at Sprint and Verizon, and make my decision based on which carrier offers the lower price for a truly unlimited data package.

If you have a Windows Mobile phone, first, I'm sorry. Secondly, there is a great program called Windows Mobile Wifi Router http://www.wmwifirouter.com/ and it works great. It makes your phone a wireless router. The program is $25, one time fee, and uses your data plan. I used it on Sprint with no surprise fees showing up on my bill.

I have a verizon data card now b/c I have a blackberry, and it works fine. I will probably try to get the MiFi as I've heard very good reviews on it. Plus it runs on batteries and you can use with any wifi device, such as a ipod touch.

If you have a Windows Mobile phone, first, I'm sorry. Secondly, there is a great program called Windows Mobile Wifi Router http://www.wmwifirouter.com/ and it works great. It makes your phone a wireless router. The program is $25, one time fee, and uses your data plan. I used it on Sprint with no surprise fees showing up on my bill.

Or, if your laptop supports PAN or RNDIS, you can go into the \windows directory with the file manager and run Internet Sharing to tether via USB or Bluetooth. Running IS directly bypasses the front end in the communications settings that checks to see if you are authorized to tether.

Does anyone know what 5GB looks like ... I mean, I have NO idea how much I up/download a month.

If you don't use Google Earth, watch internet videos or download lots of music, 5gb should be just fine.

Thanks all... still undecided if I just get a phone to tether or MyFi or USB hub... Sounds like 5gb will do. I just hate paying for internet in two places (DSL @ home and then this on the road), but Jennifer will use the house hook-up while I'm away, so I guess it's inevitable.

I am 20 days in and have used less than 2GB so far....lots of web surfing, no movies but I am pretty surprised I have used so little, including being on the work VPN as well as my wife doing the same.

I am sold, even canceled my other internet service. You will need an email provider but Gmail is free and can be set up to download directly into outlook or other similar programs, which is what I am now using.

Archived