IGNORED

Con-Fused Autocom and V1

Bigfish

I just finished up installing my PC-8. I soldered the 6 grounds and 6 power leads and have them all buttoned into the PC-8. I also wired in my AutoCom Active Pro7. How do I figure out what size fuse to install for my AutoCom Active Pro7 and my Valentine One Radar detector?

The PC-8 came w/ 5(x2),7.5,10(x3),15(x2) and 30 amp fuses. PC-8 Link

Getting pretty close to powering these farkles. Trying to stay patient and do everything correctly. :thumbsup:

PC-8 installed into the tail of RT. Not hooked up to battery yet.

2 custom looms run from Tail to Nose of bike.

1 72" loom contains 18 gauge (x5) and 16 gauge (x1) positive leads. These power leads are installed to the port (left) side of the bike. The 16 gauge will be for elecrtifying my tank bag. All have been wired into the unswitched side of the PC-8

The other 72" Ground loom is run down the starboard (right) side of the RT. All connections have been added to the Ground side of the PC-8.

The Autocom is installed in the tail next to the PC-8 and the

+ & - have been connected to the PC-8.

The Wire Looms at the nose have pre-attached bullet connectors.

I just need to start tapping into them when adding farkles.

I will be tapping into one lead for my V1 and another for my tankbag.

Needing advise on that size fuses to install on the PC-8 for these devices.

Device 1 = Autocom

Device 2 = Valentine One

Device 3 = Tankbag

Hopefully someone out there on this great forum has the answers.

Thanks in advance.

Fuse to protect the wiring - Autocomm and V1 are both low-power devices so go for a low-value fuse - 4A should be about right.

Tank-bag - depends on what you put in it, but 15A would be where I started.

Andy

Fuse to protect the wiring - Autocomm and V1 are both low-power devices so go for a low-value fuse - 4A should be about right.

Tank-bag - depends on what you put in it, but 15A would be where I started.

Andy

4A will do it. You can even go lower if you want (but with one caveat). For example, I have electrified my tankbag and have a fused power buss inside. The Autocom and the V-1 each run through a 2A fuse and have for years. The one caveat is if you use a bike-to-bike radio and power it from the Autocom, you will need at least a 4A fuse on that circuit.

Always use the lowest fuse rating to help protect against product damage or fire risk.

The power cable used on most Autocom systems is only rated at 5 amps maximum and so no more than a 5 am fuse should be used.

The main Autocom unit only uses about 50mA to 100mA for normal use including rider/passenger speech, GPS, bike to bike and phone, but this may go as high as 300mA when listening to loud music through earplugs.

If you also bike power a bike to bike radio via your Autocom then you should not be trying to power a radio that draws more than one Amp, or you will overload/heat the power regulator and it will shut down to help protect itself, and so an Autocom even with bike powered transceiver and loud music should not be drawing much more than one Amp, so a 1.5A to 2A fuse is recommended, although a 3 to 5 amp fuse is OK, but we do not recommended you use any more than a 5 amp fuse.

Autocom UK Tom

Archived