IGNORED

DEATH VALLEY PRE RUN

mrduck

We decided to take a short side trip on the way to Death Valley.

newfile678.jpg

So we went up there, Whitney Portal,8300 ft elevation, above Lone Pine.

newfile672.jpg

The waterfall behind us was frozen, and the white frost on the pavement was not too bad

newfile677.jpg

We tried talking HeyFrank into some ice skating,and he says"you guys are really nuts"

newfile669.jpg

So, here we are at Badwater, 280 ft below sea level, and only about 150 miles from the highest point to the lowest point where this story started.

All round great ride, glad I had my Gerbings on(and not the only one to be wearing Gerbings!)

No performance awards, however, one Dutch speaking gentleman did have the pleasure and great honor of a roadside conversation with a friendly CHP,and asked him to gently remind his "friends" to keep the speeds down.

Took Wlidrose canyon rd back, went thru Trona where we saw our new CHP buddy, waved a friendly hello then got outta there! A short stop in Randsburg for some dessert and gas, then arrived home.

Paul nice to meet ya, come on out again sometime!

The rest of you feel free to post your own pics here

Don J :wave:

CoarsegoldKid
Nice! Where does the road you were on above Lone Pine take off from the highway at?

I'm not sure of the meaning of your question. However at this hour of the morning I'll I just say that in Lone Pine there is sign that directs one's attention to a road heading west to Whitney Portals. If memory servers the road is called Whitney Portals Road. Sorry if I can't be of anymore assistance in this matter.

Paul nice to meet ya, come on out again sometime!

Who was Paul?

I'll have to look for it. I remember one that went to the Bristlecone Pine forest but din't notice Whitney Portals. In any case I'll find it, Thanks.

Hey, is that walkway/deck thing at Badwater a recent addition? I've been to DV numerous times, but not in the past 5 years or so. I remember just walking out onto the flat!

Trying out posting pictures, so beware.

Joe describing the waitress at the Sourdough Saloon while demonstrating how to drink beer in cold weather.

IMG_2643-1.jpg

High level summit meeting

IMG_2640.jpg

Nice pictures Don. The picture I took with camera phone did not come out of that frozen waterfall/stream. I was thinking that since you seem to be drawn to the ice, (two years in a row) maybe you should change you call sign to mrpenguin instead of mrduck.Once again great ride and thanks to you and the guys on that little trick on decarboning the bikes.

Great pictures! Does anyone else have anymore? I have to validate to the wife I was really there. "Death Valley. yeah right. Where did you really go?"

Whitney Portal comes west out of Lone Pine at almost the center of town. I believe. Almost main street, at a blinking light?

Anyway nice photos, but too cold at Whitney Portal and possibly nice and warm at Badwater. I'll take the warm, but the cold ...

dc

CoarsegoldKid
Great pictures! Does anyone else have anymore? I have to validate to the wife I was really there. "Death Valley. yeah right. Where did you really go?"

"I was curious. Just how ...these days"

It's hard not to have a good time in Death Valley on these BMWST runs. Sometimes getting to and from there can be challenging. This trip wasn't so bad.

This mountain road was covered in very thick fog when Franz and came over it on Friday. On Sunday it was another matter.

DSC01210.JPG

Sorry Todd, I don't see you in the picture. There might be one in my phone but I don't know how it get it out.

DSC01205.JPG

DSC01207.JPG

On Saturday I broke ranks with the fellas and went off to take a few pictures.

DSC01184.JPG

I just love the sedimentary layering of rock that is exposed in mountain sides. DSC01191.JPG

Screw Top Peak

DSC01193.JPG

looking south down the Valley

DSC01196.JPG

I took this image because of the various layers and upheavels in the terrain.

DSC01198.JPG

DSC01202.JPG

Beatty, NV is just over the rise in the distance. I was still in California and also within Death Valley when I took this picture. Would you believe the speed limit here is 35 mph for miles and miles. DSC01204.JPG

Here you go, Todd.

IMG_2642.jpg

Beatty, NV is just over the rise in the distance. I was still in California and also within Death Valley when I took this picture. Would you believe the speed limit here is 35 mph for miles and miles. DSC01204.JPG

UHH,Yeah, right, and we all did just that! :thumbsup:

Don J :wave:

Archived