IGNORED

flying mattresses....

AZKomet

I hate those flying carpets and mattresses and 2x4s.

Always watch pickups and open trucks. I had a large semi-truck with an open trailer and a weird wooden contraption on the back made out of 4x6s. It looked wobbly and I immediately moved over to the adjacent lane. Needless to say, parts of it fell off and bounced way up into the air. It could easily have been a killer. I immediately honked and made him stop and check his trailer.

I had that almost happen to me back in 1982 the 2nd day with my new R65 going to Memphis. Just as a truck past the mattress flew out of the bed right behind me.

Heading into Saint Louis on I-70. Ratty one ton in front of me overloaded with building rubble. Do I pass or drop back? Suddenly a 3 foot by 10 foot piece of metal corrugated roofing flys off and unbelievably goes almost 40 foot in the air at a guess. It then falls and lands on the Interstate in front of me and slides down the road maybe 90 feet. I pass on the right and see 20 or so nails sticking up from it. Since normally I would have stopped and moved it off the road I felt very bad going on. Those of you who have been in Saint Louis Traffic know why. Nearly bumper to bumper 10 mph over the speed limit. The guy driving the truck was oblivious and refused to pull over to secure his load. I think it could have decapitated someone if it hit right.

This stuff is worse around he first of the month when renters move their belongings in assorted heaps. Always watch for cars carrying loads on the roof while the passenger and driver hold on to the object with their raised, outstretched arms.

This isn't good either.

It isn’t just following a vehicle a person has to worry about.. Late last summer I had to dodge a 10’-12’ step ladder on the freeway that I didn’t even see fall from the vehicle..

Not sure where it came from but I was in the L/H lane doing about 85 mph when that ladder came spinning into my lane from one of the R/H lanes right between the two cars in the center lane just in front of my position.. By the way it was spinning it was obviously hit by a vehicle in the far R/H lane (I couldn’t see over there as all lanes were full of vehicles)..

I just cleared that spinning ladder & it was hit by the truck directly behind me & sent spinning back across the freeway to the right (not sure what happened to it then as I was too far in front to see in my mirrors).. That morning I sure didn’t need my normal 3 cups of strong coffee to get my heart started..

The thing is it didn’t even bother me while it was happening or shortly after as I stayed in the L/H lane doing the same speed for about 10 more miles.. When I exited the freeway & sat at the first stop light I had a chance to think back about the incident & then it sort of bothered me..

I still think about that ladder spinning in my lane when I ride on a freeway that has all lanes full of vehicles & traveling at warp speed..

Twisty

Although it's probably irrational, I have a morbid fear of riding behind a truckload of porta potties. The smell isn't so great either.

:eek: eeeeeeewwww!!!

An friend of mine and his wife bit the big one a couple years ago when their Harley ran in to a barbecue that fell off the back of a pickup on the freeway.

I'm paranoid about stuff falling off trucks, and I'll always give them extra wide berth.

Although it's probably irrational, I have a morbid fear of riding behind a truckload of porta potties. The smell isn't so great either.

That's not funny! OK, it is funny. Last summer, a buddy and I were riding the twisties. We came upon a pick up truck with a porta john in the bed. All of a sudden, the john fell over backwards! It didn't come out of the truck but it gave both of us a sudden urge to be in need of it's services! LOL

Dan

This stuff is worse around he first of the month when renters move their belongings in assorted heaps. Always watch for cars carrying loads on the roof while the passenger and driver hold on to the object with their raised, outstretched arms.

This isn't good either.

The flapping tarp in the video is bad, but even worse, IMHO, is that video appears to have been taken by the driver of a school bus, while driving!

HighAngleHell

Two summers ago I was living in New Jersey. I went out for a ride down toward Cape May. I was on a two lane and noticed a red Ford Focus approaching in the opposite lane about a mile away. I noticed the Focus was slowly drifting off the road and onto the shoulder but not slowing down in the least. He had to be doing at least 55-60. All of a sudden the Focus disappeared in a cloud of dust and the next thing I saw was one of the front axle half shafts bouncing toward me in my lane. I mashed on the brakes (thanks ABS with servo assist) and pulled off my side of the road. By the time I stopped and shut the bike off I realized that I came about as close to hitting that axle as I could and still miss it. I removed the axle from the road and found the driver of the Focus had struck a telephone pole. I thought he may have had a heart attck or fell asleep however, it was clear he had been drinking (hammered). Luck was with me that day.

DH

Back in 2001 i was on my yellow checker RS on Hiway 1 just south of Monterey. While following a truck with $hit in the back I was oblivious to the fact that an electric motor was not secured in the bed. As luck would have it I saw it fly out bounce to an fro while i was trying to dodge it.

The front tire hit it and the tire went partially flat b/c of a bent rim. I pulled over to look at the damage while the truck drove onn......

The front rim had a severe ding in it and it sealed back up...not sure how or why that happened but I am glad it did. Over 40 MPH and under 25 it vibrated like a mofo.....so i limped to LA and tried to get it fixed but to no avail.

So can you imagine me creeping along at 45 MPH back to Phx???? Me neither, but I did. :cry: People......there ought to be a law!!

Archived