IGNORED

V vs H rated tires????

Whip

I know the V's are rated for higher speed.

What is different about their construction?????????

Is one of them any stickier?????

Will one last longer or handle a heavier load???

TIA

Buy the lower rating. I've testing three different sets of identical tires on the track, and the lower rated ones lasted longer. I could tell no difference on grip, even to the valve covers. The other consideration (though I didn't test it) is that lower rated will not require as much warm up.

The V-rating essentially means that the tire is capable of withstanding higher operating temperatures (primarily to resist the stresses of operating at higher speeds.) As a result they can sometimes carry more weight and sometimes have stiffer sidewalls, but as David noted there often isn't any readily apparent difference to the driver/rider at the wheel/handlebars.

H-rated tires are approved for speeds up to 130 mph and V-rated tires up to 149. So I guess V-rated tires would be a waste on an RT (but mandatory on a GT... :grin:) Actually since manufacturers equip a vehicle for the highest speed that the vehicle is capable of the GT comes with Z-rated tires (rated for above 149 mph.)

The R1200R/RT bikes come with Z rated tires good to over 149 mph, which is nonsense. I am happy with H rated. I think some times lower speed rating tires have deeper treads which is more weight, but at lower speed there is less danger of the tread rubber separating from the plies. That gives better longer wear.

As Paul said there is a test protocol that involves a period of time, but that isn't meant to apply to end use. Meaning, by strict definition an H-rated tire should not exceed 130 mph for any period of time and if higher speeds are anticipated then a V-rated tire should be used. Of course in the real world it's not very likely that a brief excursion to higher than the rated speed will result in flaming death, but FWIW it isn't officially approved to exceed a tire's speed rating for any length of time.

Would you hazard a guess that because the state of the art high-speed tourers all use "Z" rated tyres, that more technology, research and engineering goes into this type of tyre?

I have never been above 120 mph - either because there are too many speed traps or because I am very heavily loaded - but can't stop thinking (when I'm riding in the rain) that the contact patch is the size of the sole of my shoe. It's "Z" tyres for me - always.

Being as the potential liability for any catastrophic failure of a tire is equal, irrespective of the speed rating, load rating, etc., I do not agree that one tire receives a higher level of engineering.

Research and Engineering are all based on a set of design parameters to accomplish a specific job. If the job at hand is 200 mph, sustained, then the engineers due the work necessary to accomplish this task in the same way as they would if the design parameters were to go 140 mph, sustained.

I would go with the product that fits your intended use, within the design and use parameters of the vehicle in question. "Z" isn't necessarily better than "V" or "H". It's just different.

Now, if you shoe on an "H" tire and find, through its use, that it doesn't provide the feel, performance, etc. of the "Z" tire, then it might make sense to go with the "Z", even though you never exceed 100 mph.

The analogy I use is the Pilot Road 2 for my K1300GT. It is available, both "Z" rated, in a standard and a 'B' spec. The 'B' spec tire's construction and design provides a ride that I don't like so I use the standard spec. Both tires work within my use and the design parameters of the vehicle but I prefer one over the other

Maybe you're right about the engineering.

But I'll stick with believing that a Z tire desigend to clear water at 155mph will do a better job at 100mph than an H tire rated at 130mph.

John,

I'm not disagreeing with anyone, but I am agreeing with you. :S

I put the high speed tires on because if I ever had a lower rated one fail at 140+ I'd probably be unhappy.

I try to keep myself happy and this is an easy way to do that.

I may be wrong, but psychologicalistically when I'm rolling along at 65 I like to feel my tire is loafing.

:Cool:

I thought the tread patterns were exactly the same amoung the ratings?? Anybody know definately?

I don't think there is a definite answer as that would be up to the manufacturer, although I don't think I've ever seen an instance where the tread differed by speed rating. As to whether one tire clears water better than another at 100 mph... I don't think I want to find out... :eek:

Whip, you're getting some interesting replies to this thread but I am pretty sure that I have not understood your question.

What vehicle are you talking about specifically and what choice of tire are you trying to make?

The only two tire models that I would consider fitting to my RT, namely the Dunlop Roadsmart and Michelin Pilot Road 2 (because I believe they offer the best wet road grip), are only available in a "Z" rating here in the UK.

Whip, you're getting some interesting replies to this thread but I am pretty sure that I have not understood your question.

What vehicle are you talking about specifically and what choice of tire are you trying to make?

The only two tire models that I would consider fitting to my RT, namely the Dunlop Roadsmart and Michelin Pilot Road 2 (because I believe they offer the best wet road grip), are only available in a "Z" rating here in the UK.

I wanted two sets of the Anakee IIs for my KTM and GSA. They only had the H rated in stock.

Neither bike will ever go 149 MPH, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna lose any traction or have any other issues I wasn't aware of.

I think I'll be okay.

They should be here today or tomorrow.

Thanks to all the responders.

L

ShovelStrokeEd

Whip,

Check with David, he ran Anakees on his GS at the track more than a few times. Not sure which rating but he really didn't have any issues with traction with them.

Archived